Viewing 16 posts - 41 through 56 (of 56 total)
  • Homemade headset press
  • Brother_Will
    Free Member

Yes and both times it didn’t work, the first time I had move the press around the headset. The second time it went in skew and wouldn’t budge. I got one of these and while basic it was a treat and worked just as it should. http://www.planetx.co.uk/i/q/TOJWHSP/jobsworth-headset-frame-cup-press-(also-bb-press)

trail_rat
    Free Member
    psycorp
    Free Member

IME you can’t pull a headset in, in one hit generally. You start it, then slacken the tool and move it inline with any high spots, pull them in a little before re-centreing and pulling the whole shebang in plumb.

This.

I’ve used a homemade press for years and on more frames than I can remember. Works fine as long as you follow the above and take your time.

trail_rat
    Free Member

I’ve used a homemade press for years and on more frames than I can remember. Works fine as long as you follow the above and take your time.

thats almost as good an endorsement as the van advert i read this morning “has land rover td5 wheels on and they fit perfect – almost……

doing it as above is not really any better than tapping it in with a mallet imo.

kayak23

doing it as above is not really any better than tapping it in with a mallet imo.

You can screw it up either way I suppose but I guess it takes more effort and application to totally screw it up with a press than it does to totally screw it up with a mallet… 😀

trail_rat
    Free Member

some washers a bit of bar and some nuts does not a press make.

rmacattack
    Free Member

i agree , it wasn’t the job i wanted for me the time i did it. would use a proper press if attempting again. but my next frame won’t have a press fit bb, but that’s another topic

andyl
    Free Member

First time I pressed in a headset was into a carbon frame (with alloy inserts but still nervous) using threaded bar and a selection of sockets. It was a 44m top cup and 49mm lower with big overhang inside so a little bit more complicated.

I went for the rubber mallet approach when I replaced it with an angleset, same on the steel frame also with an angleset.

Dangerboy
    Free Member

I’m mid-build at the moment. Found a sash clamp that I had forgotten I had. Thought it was worth a try. Worked better than I could have hoped!

psycorp
    Free Member

some washers a bit of bar and some nuts does not a press make.

You’re welcome to spend your hard earned on a commercially available press then if you’re not confident in your ability to use a home made.

I’ve never screwed up the fitting of a headset using a not press though, so obviously my experience differs from your opinion.

trail_rat
    Free Member

Yeah this experiences like yours that get quoted at me when customers wonder why it didn’t work.

The commercial kit is the commercial kit because it’s designed to make it hard to bugger up your frame.

The lack of stepped cups means that the inexperienced can end up pressing cups in unevenly or inappropriate sizd threaded bar can strip threads on a moderately tight fit headset.

For the sake of 20 quid

cloudnine
    Free Member

Have used a Large Irwin hand clamp on several occasions.. Easy to release the pressure and move it around if it’s not quite going in straight..

andyjh

I have just bought a treaded rod type press from eBay for the princely sum of £6 😀 Trouble with this and so many of the cheaper proper presses is they are not large enough for today’s headsets, most of them will only fit a 1/8″. If you want a stepped set that fit a 1/5″ you end up with something like the Park Tools press for £130! Now I don’t mind spending a bit of money on decent tools but I wish there was something in between.

jonnyboi

Bikeshack in banbridge could have done it for you, or failing that J R Magill in dromore.

superleggero
    Free Member

Why take a chance with the Heath Robisnon methods and risk ruining your new frame? Buy a proper press if you think you’re going to get some future use out of it or take it to a bike shop where they will fit it for you for a nominal fee.

newrobdob
    Free Member

Daft thing I used to do is try and put both cups in at the same time with a threaded bar home made press. One cup at a time helps. I know this might sound a bit obvious but it wasn’t to me for years!

Viewing 16 posts - 41 through 56 (of 56 total)

The topic ‘Homemade headset press’ is closed to new replies.