• This topic has 11 replies, 10 voices, and was last updated 8 years ago by nerd.
Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Homemade Energy Bar Recipes…
  • smurfly13
    Free Member

Anyone got a good one – can’t really find any shop bars that taste like I want to eat them!!

Tried some recipes and decided the date based ones are not for me..

May just stick with bananas…..!!

somouk
    Free Member

Bananas are good, have a look at healthbox London for some interesting bits, they do delivery nationwide now too I believe.

SiofCannock
    Free Member

Have a google for Hugh Fearnley Whittingstall’s honey and peanut butter energy bars. Taste good and can take a pounding from the trail without turning to dust!

shermer75
    Free Member

You get about 500 calories in 100g of flapjack, which I love anyway so I normally make those.

monkeyp

My simple one is to blend dried fruit of your choice (I use raisins, apricots and cranberries), + cashews or almonds into a thick paste. Roll into balls and then coat in ground almonds. Set in the fridge individually wrapped in film. Basically home made Nak’d bars.

If you want a real kick, then roll the paste on greaseproof paper, lay a line of marzipan and then roll the paste over this before coating. Very nice!

shermer75
    Free Member

If you what some protein in there then peanuts are about 25% protein, so sticking some of them in has got to help, right?

smurfly13
    Free Member

Thanks for the suggestions – Hugh’s ones sound quite tasty so going to try that!!

TheBrick
    Free Member

I’ve done a variation on a flap jack with condence milk. Same cooking method but ingridence are:
    Oats
    condenced milk
    butter
    dried cocnut
    chopped dried apricots (idealy the non coloured ones)
    + option nuts

gatsby
    Free Member

I like the Team Sky recipe… Pudding rice and cream cheese flavoured with cinnamon. Really easy to eat as they’re moist, I make a batch, wrap em in foil and freeze them.

Link

ricardo666
    Free Member
    soobalias
    Free Member

i started out with ninjasocks flapjack recipe and then i just add stuff to suit. Full of ottery goodness.

far too tasty/addictive – i dont make it often as it doesnt last.
    i once did a rough calc of the calories contained in the seed, fruit, nut, dark choc topped version. A single batch contained iro 15kkcal, or a weeks worth.

nerd
    Free Member

I make these (basically the same principle as monkeyp):

250g of pitted dates
    125g cashew nuts
    2 tbsp cocoa powder
    2 tbsp peanut (or cashew nut) butter
    2 tbsp golden syrup

whizz in a blender, press into a greaseproof lined tin, chop into portions and store in the fridge. wrap them in greaseproof to fit in your jersey pocket.
    you can add ~60g of oats to bulk them out but they’re not as soft if you do.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Homemade Energy Bar Recipes…’ is closed to new replies.