Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 41 total)
  • Homemade DIY chamois cream
  • wenanwhere
    Free Member

Anyone made their own chamois cream? Not talking about just using sudocrem or nappy rash cream but something a bit more sophisticated with stuff like tea tree in etc?

I do a lot of long rides so get through the stuff.

Seen there’s one Keith bontrager came up with any experiences?

Stoner
    Free Member

2 parts toothpaste, 1 part Immac, 3 parts yoghurt.
    Sorted.

cloudnine
    Free Member

Won’t tea tree oil be a bit tingly.. Or is that the idea?

wilburt
    Free Member

Palmers Butter, £3 for 500ml from Savers, as good as bike bum creams, why bother with the chemistry class?

martinhutch

grahamt1980

Should include some ralgex or deep heat surely

sparkyrhino

Lard

wenanwhere
    Free Member

Wanted something to include the antiseptic qualities of tea tree as helps avoid saddle rash infections

shermer75
    Free Member
    CheesybeanZ

Goose fat for the winter .

shermer75
    Free Member
    shermer75
    Free Member

Interesting article on Triclosan:

Link

Travis

There’s one on Instructables…..

Travis

Also, why do you go through so much of the stuff?

What shorts and saddle do you use? If it’s rubbing that much, maybe you’ve got the wrong set up.

IanMunro
    Free Member

Swarfega mixed with Dettol. Add some Vim for the rough spots.

wenanwhere
    Free Member

Thanks all, went to savers and got some palmers stuff thanks wilburt, got the branded stuff but there was also a bit tub going for £1 which is probably same stuff. Looks like quite a good consistency, that and sprinkled a few drops of tea tree oil in will see how I get on.

Travis, purely lots of miles ridden each week then doing super long races. Saddle/seat setup is perfectly comfortable but I can be prone to skin infections down there so not worth taking any risks. Plus is just more comfy for me with rather than without.

Not sure about keith’s recipe in that I don’t think vaseline washes out that well.

If this stuff doesn’t work might try some more sophisticated options. I will buy some proper stuff for long races as well.

cynic-al
    Free Member

I’ve never used this nor felt the need, what are the benefits?

cheekyget
    Free Member

Saves foreplay 😆

honourablegeorge

cynic-al – Member

I’ve never used this nor felt the need, what are the benefits?

I think it’s mostly that you get to spend time rubbing lubricants into your genitals. Time well spent.

zero-cool
    Free Member

I’ve got a tube of Chapeau Chamois cream and it lasts ages (as did the Assos one before it). Try comfiest saddle and shorts.

Stoner
    Free Member

I can’t think of much more unpleasant than rubbing goo into my biffin and then sitting in it for a few hours?

Is this how people cope with wearing the wrong clothes and putting up with a badly fitting saddle?

martinhutch

into my biffin

😀

Not heard that particular regional beauty before.

wilburt
    Free Member

Suggest you don’t do it then 🙄

jameso

purely lots of miles ridden each week then doing super long races

How long? If it’s 8-12hrs plus w/o pits for changes maybe try ditching the padded shorts for merino boxers and the right overshorts – especially so if it’s multi-day stuff. Sitting on a pad of warm, damp sweatiness for hours on end is bound to cause issues, greased up or not. In fact the chammy cream can reduce air getting to the skin and that’s adding to the problems of the pad.
    You won’t get me using padded lycra again, much happier with natural-fibre boxers and normal shorts, took a leap of faith and a few long rides to be sure I was happy with it though. Merino pants and looser shorts = a better vented, cooler and comfier rider. ime that is, may depend on what kind of discomfort you get. Took a couple of bad experiences to arrive at this conclusion, experiences that said padded lycra shorts would never be comfy for me on long rides, the discomfort didn’t have to be ‘one of those things’.

wanmankylung
    Free Member

purely lots of miles ridden each week then doing super long races

How many miles and ho long are the races?

I used to do a shed load of miles per week and did some long races, but the only time I’ve ever had a problem was the one time I tried arse butter.

jameso

Not sure about keith’s recipe in that I don’t think vaseline washes out that well.

Won’t Vaseline will stop any air getting to the skin? If so it has to be one of the last things to use. It’s for babies and bed-sores, not people sweating and moving a lot.

kayak23

Battles Udder cream at screwfix.

It’s rad. Great for hands too. 🙂

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

I ran out of the real stuff ages ago, been using a thin smear of sudocrem on the skin and a generous dollop of aqueous cream on the chamois.

Maybe some people are just lucky, i get a rash pretty quickly and saddle sores soon after if I don’t use something, nothing wrong with shorts or saddle, it’s sweat/heat/friction not pressure.

wenanwhere
    Free Member

Riding for around 15 hours per week then racing up to 24 hours. I would still use branded products that I am happy with like chapeau/assos for long races its just to keep my undercarriage in decent nick on the training rides.

I’ve heard of the merino option before but I know for a fact that I can be comfy down there and stay rot free using chamois cream so keen to stick to what I know. Just trying to keep the cost down throughout the year that’s all.

hugo
    Free Member

Kayak, that is fantastic! Problem solved.

maccruiskeen

Kayak, that is fantastic! Problem solved.

They’re stating the obvious really – all cream comes from udders

wenanwhere
    Free Member

Udder cream, interesting, is that where udderly smooth started out?!

andyl
    Free Member

I do find it quite odd that screwfix sell farming supplies. But it’s probably even odder thinking of cyclists queuing up there for udder cream to lather on their underbits.

garvaldnights
    Free Member

I got onto to Amazon and bought some organic coconut oil, mixed it in with organic Shea butter and some jojoba oil. I heated it up a little in the microwave and then whipped it up with the electric mixer. Stuck it back in the pots it all came in and it’s great. Same price as assos stuff, much higher quality and four times the volume.

maccruiskeen

But it’s probably even odder thinking of cyclists queuing up there for udder cream to lather on their underbits.

Odder yet is when then club together with 3 mates to buy one of these

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Udder cream, interesting, is that where udderly smooth started out?!

Be warned, there are different types of udder cream, I’ve read of cyclists saving money buying the minty version thinking “it’ll be like the assoss stuff”. It’s a ‘little bit stronger’.

welshfarmer

I was going to suggest buying the proper Uddermint. And then sit back and wait 🙂 Deep heat has nothing on that stuff 🙂

wenanwhere
    Free Member

So tested Palmers Butter for a few rides, seems pretty good. I added a few drops of tea tree oil to give it a bit of antiseptic benefits as well. I’d still used branded stuff for long races etc.

mattsccm
    Free Member

This afternoon my dad wanted to know if I wanted 6 ducks at a quid a piece. Maybe I can flog them here and make a few quid. Cook them and rub the grease into your arse or keep them as nice pets.

robcolliver
    Free Member

Udder cream is great , just don’t use the mint versions and then cycle in bear country….. they love the fresh minty smell and can whiff you out from miles away.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 41 total)

The topic ‘Homemade DIY chamois cream’ is closed to new replies.