Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)
  • Homemade Cider- Is it possible without nasty packets of additives?
  • hora
    Free Member

No problem with the cider going off/spoiling (i.e. it will be drunk before then). 🙄

Basically – I buy a big plastic storage thingy- loads of apples (pulp them/strain)- what do I need? Any websites that you can recommend?

Terrydactyl

We make loads of the stuff. 1,000 pints last year. Just stick the juice into a big plastic bin,fit an air trap critically add nothing, wait till the the first cuckoo to sound then drink.

MrSparkle

Google 'turbo cider'.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    elliptic
    Free Member

As you say pulp/press/strain/ferment. Shouldn't need to add anything, if they're fresh collected apples natural yeasts on them will do the trick.

ski
    Free Member

plastic barrel with an airlock.

Or do it the Americans way, plastic bottle with a condom with a hole on 😉

teagirl
    Free Member

Ask Eddie Grundy?

hora
    Free Member

stick the juice into a big plastic bin,fit an air trap

Where did you get yours from?

wait till the the first cuckoo to sound then drink

❓ 😐

simon1975

So where's your glut of apples coming from in February?!!!

I'll see if I can remember to bring some of my homemade Perry on Saturday. I've still got loads in demijohns in my basement made with 2008's crop. It might go well with your burger 😉

hora
    Free Member

Yes please. Just a nip mind. I'll pick your brains as well.

simon1975

Mmmm brains…

tyke
    Free Member

Get as many different types of apples that you can to make up your cider including cookers and crab apples. I would add a commerical yeast as they give more consistent results. Expect to get about 1litre of juice per 2kg of apples. The Finer you can mill/chop the apples the better.

hora
    Free Member

The Finer you can mill/chop the apples the better.

What do you recommend to do this with? Some sort of pulper/masher?

Terrydactyl

Hora,

We use "mango chutney" blue barrels.

The cuckoo tells us it is spring, assuming you pick, scraggle and press in late Autumn thats when the stuff is ready. (Traditional)

tyke
    Free Member

I use a garden shredder (only thing it's used for). You can buy ones that work in a bucket but they don't seem to be very easy to use and only do a small quatity at a time. Or if you are going to do it on an annual basis and a dab hand with DIY you could make an apple scratter:
    Apple Scratter on UK Cider

hora
    Free Member

simon1975, wierd. For a 'punter' weened on shop cider its not sweet enough on the first few sips. Then…..I actually like it. Deeper flavour. Its not from the Urine episode of Blackadder is it?

I found myself saying the same lines…it has got the same clean fresh taste!… 😆

IHN

I'm tempted, could have some ready for summer…

Does everything have to be sterilised first, like when beer brewing?

smartay

My boss makes cider as a sideline, basically he scrats the apples, presses the pulp, transfer into a tank, adds yeast and lets it bubble away. Once this has finish he transfers it into either a variable capacity tank ( keeps the air out) or transfers it into ex whisky or brandy barrels depending on flavour.

Thre is some chemistry aswell but thats aclosely guarded secret!!!

genesis
    Free Member

Hora aren't you in Manchester? There is a homebrew shop in Stockport thats been there for years on the edge of A6 iirc. There's a new one opened up in Chetser too, just around the corner from have so far resisted the temptaion to go for a nose around.

hora
    Free Member

Yes- is it this one?

http://www.thebrewshop.com/

simon1975

Glad you "enjoyed" it, Hora! I polished off the rest of that batch last night – I serve it from a cubitainer which is a sound investment (like a re-usable wine box).

Whilst there was definitely no wee in it, all the apples were from a single tree – I'll try gathering a more mixed crop this year 😉

hora
    Free Member

Are you sure it was sub 5%?!

genesis
    Free Member

That's the one, our bar manager at Edgeley Park reckoned it was a top place to go.

simon1975

Are you sure it was sub 5%?!

No idea, but it was all natural yeast and with no sugar added, so unlikely to be more than that.

hora
    Free Member

The Brewshop are very helpful. Quick to answer email etc. Im going to pop in with my purse in hand. 🙂

genesis
    Free Member

There you go, job done.

hora
    Free Member

Thank you Genesis 🙂

genesis
    Free Member

No worries, bring the first draw to Llandegla though for a taste 😉

Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)

The topic ‘Homemade Cider- Is it possible without nasty packets of additives?’ is closed to new replies.