Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Homemade bike trailer – help with hitch required!
  • Jackass123456789
    Free Member

I have started making a homemade bike trailer following the guide from spoke shirts:
    http://www.spokeshirts.co.uk/2011/02/30-bike-trailer/

However I want to make a different hitch as I already have a trailer for pulling my Daughter around in and if I can use the same hitching bracket, my wife and I can take turns in pulling trailer and child when we are away.

I have found on ebay the same bracket that goes onto the bike:
    http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/KIDS-PET-LUGGAGE-BIKE-BICYCLE-TRAILER-ATTACHMENT-CLIP-/110591625132?pt=UK_SportGoods_CyclAcces_RL&hash=item19bfc647ac

However, I am not sure of what to use on the end of the trailer that attaches to that bracket and is flexable so if the bike or trailer tips it doesn’t cause the other to do the same.

Any ideas?

cyclebiker

Hello,

Is there any chance of a pick of the bracket that you already have fitted to your bike, from the picture on the ebay link there is no scale of it’s size.

I think that the way the the company has done it seams like a simple way to “articulate” the trailer

Cheers,
    Mark.

Stoner
    Free Member

jackass – coulde be your lucky day.

A month ago I had my Croozer trailer stolen in france whilst in buggy mode which means I still have a spare boom/bike connection arm for it. I have bought anoterh croozer and dont need the old arm. It fits that sqaure peg you linked to.

email me and I can send some photos and you can see whether you can salvage the parts you want for your trailer.

maccruiskeen

Have a look perhaps at CarryFreedom’s new hitch. Its a rubbery thing and their hitches are interchangable with the ones Chariot fit to their child trailers.

While you are on the CarryFreedom site check out the Bamboo Trailer for an alternative homemade trailer thats maybe a bit more capacious -well as capacious as you want it to be. (You don’t need to use bamboo, the point of the design is you can use anything, its deceptively simple design that eradicates bends and welds)

takisawa2

IMG_6470 by pten2106, on Flickr

This was the attachment that worked well for me for lugging two boys around for a couple of years. The spring provided a bit of damping when taking up the drive, & also allowed the bike to be laid down without turning the trailer over. I “upgraded” the metal strap to a peice of galvanised roofing tie-strap from a local builders merchants eventually.
    I tried it connected directly but was worried about the tugging breaking the frame eventually, as it was a spindly steel road frame. It lives on though, albeit with no trailer these days.

Jackass123456789
    Free Member

Thanks for your responses, I will look at the CarryFreedom website and Stoner YGM!

takisawa2, did that attachment come with the trailer or was it something you bought / made?

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

The topic ‘Homemade bike trailer – help with hitch required!’ is closed to new replies.