Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • HomecinematrackWorld
  • Sundayjumper

I might be looking for a moon/stick interface here but does anyone know of an AV amp that:

* Is compact – around 350mm or less deep
    * Has two HDMI outputs
    * Has five channels of amplification

That’s all. I don’t care about having a gazillion watts of power, or pointless DSP modes or pretty much any of the bells & whistles that seem to come with these things nowadays. I just want a small unit that will feed TV & projector without mucking about with swapping cables (CBA) or needing a switching unit (got one, but want to simplify things).

The “proper” AV amps I’ve had have all been mahoosive at about 450mm deep + whatever space for cables. We’re tidying up the lounge to get buttons & cables away from tiny little hands so I’m on the lookout for something easier to hide away inside normal furniture. A device that satisfies the above *and* has a Blu-Ray player built in would be quite nifty. Moon/stick…

craigxxl
    Free Member

Have a look at Pioneer. FIL had a similar problem with depth on his TV stand and bought a Pioneer.

Just noted you said “hide away”. If you’re after putting it inside a cabinet beware of the heat they produce.

freddyg
    Free Member

That’ll be £5 please 🙂

Fail. Just noticed only one HDMI out. 🙁

andyl
    Free Member

I was also thinking the Marantz but:

Dimensions of unit (W x D x H) mm.440 x 367 x 105

freddyg
    Free Member

This one is thinner, but again only 1x HDMI output

andyl
    Free Member

Only things I can think of with 2 HDMI are the Denon (2100?), Pioneer and the higher end Sony.

Why do you need 2 hdmi out? Some of the functionality of them varies, might be easier to get a splitter but that may not work with ARC and CEC

andyl
    Free Member

This one fits your size but only 4 in and 1 out. http://www.richersounds.com/product/av-receivers/pioneer/vsxs310/pion-vsx310-blk

Denon meets your depth spec: http://www.richersounds.com/product/av-receivers/denon/avrx2100/deno-avrx2100-blk and 8 in, 2 out. I was looking at buying one back at Christmas but got my old Sony QX running again and buy a Neeo remote to control everything.

This Pioneer is a cracker but too deep: http://www.richersounds.com/product/av-receivers/pioneer/vsx924/pion-vsx924-blk

Sundayjumper

Pete – that’s only got one HDMI output. And I already have speakers so I don’t *really* want to buy some more. I should have specified that, sorry.

Freddy, Andy – that Marantz is already top of my list for when I inevitably have to compromise and accept I can’t have two HDMI outputs !

Craig – will have a look…

Sundayjumper

Andy – that Denon looks like it fits the bill ! Nice.

peteimpreza

Why do you need two HDMI outputs?

Sundayjumper

Plasma screen for general telly, projector for films. I’ll never use both simultaneously, it’ll just be nice to have a setup that “just works” for whichever permutation I fancy that day.

ourmaninthenorth

Tidy is always good. Just be mindful if putting inside furniture that these things will always need some sort of venting – make sure you leave any doors open while using it.

andyl
    Free Member

Denon should be perfect for you then. The Pioneer 924 has a bit more punch, especially for music, but the Denon is no slouch and most definitely better than any slimline box and meets your depth needs and you could get some sort of IR extender/repeater or there is a smartphone app that lets you control some functions too.

Flaperon

You can get an HDMI switch / splitter for not very much from eBay if that helps (my dad did something similar and this worked fine).

masher
    Free Member

Although its an older model, an Onkyo nr515 is less than 30cm deep. Google says there is still uk stock available though. It runs both or either of the hdmi outputs.

The latest equivalent is probably the ONKYO NR636.

andyl
    Free Member

I would watch out for the older Onkyo as the HDMIs have had problems. The newer version which is fully HDMI 2 and HDCP 2.2 compliant uses a different HDMI chip which should be better.

Richer Sounds extended warranty is very good too

jwt
    Free Member

Plenty of HDMI splitters that will drive two or more outputs from one input. I have a one in / four out currently splitting sky HD between an AV Amp and a 15m HDMI run to a bedroom.

Sundayjumper

jwt – I already have a 4×2 matrix switch but as I said, this is an exercise in tidying things up. Using the switch means an extra box in the rack, an extra remote, an extra mains socket taken up. And having to select the source on the amp *and* the switch each time. First world problems etc but having all that gubbins built into the amp is so much slicker.

Anyway, I’ve ordered the Denon from Hyperfi, open box but £50 cheaper than Richer so I’m happy to take a punt 🙂

andyl
    Free Member

if you are near Reading they have an ex service model for £223 – 10% if you join up for VIP (free) and then take out the refundable if not used warranty for 10% of the price. http://www.richersounds.com/showclearanceproduct/DENO-AVRX2100-BLK/Denon+Avrx2100+Blk.html

wobbliscott
    Free Member

You might struggle for 2 HDMI outputs, don’t think i’ve ever seen that, but you have a couple of options – connect your TV to your HDMI output and your projector to your Blu Ray output (or visa versa) – or TV to HDMI output and projector to amp RGB output (just as good a picture).

Sundayjumper

Scott – not meaning to be rude, but did you read the thread ? More than one unit has been suggested that fits the bill, and I’ve ordered the Denon. Twin HDMI outputs might bot be the norm yet but it’s reasonably common.

Andy – I’m about half an hour from Reading, I’d already ordered from Hyperfi though.

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)

The topic ‘HomecinematrackWorld’ is closed to new replies.