Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Homebrew SPD cleat wedges.
  • downshep

Having completed a bike fit on the road bike, I now use Body Geometry footbeds, internal varus wedges and the broad yellow external cleat wedges to align my wonky legs, all to great effect.

I’ve also fitted the same footbeds and varus wedges to my mtb shoes. I recently bought some of the little red external wedges for my SPD cleats but they are a complete faff and compress to nothing once tightened.

I’m aware angled SPD cleats can be had but they are £28 a pair, which is a bit much for summer, winter and commuting shoes. Has anyone devised a home brew way of introducing some tilt to their SPD cleats that is secure and cost effective? Not sure if bolting a thin washer under the inboard side would be secure enough?

Onzadog
    Free Member

Not sure if this is what you want to hear after doing all of that, but I used to be in the same boat, and may even have some angled cleats in a box somewhere.

In the end, I saw a biomechanist who helped sort thing out with some custom shoe inserts and a series of exercises.

I’ve been back to see the same bike fit guy after all that was done and he’s confirmed that my knees are tracking properly.

So now, I just have some custom shoe inserts that easily move to whatever shoe I’m wearing.

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

Just don’t bother with wedges. Most bike fitters prescribe them incorrectly anyway.

downshep

Of the three mechanisms for correcting my position, footbeds seem most effective, followed by varus wedges. Custom footbeds would combine their effect, at some cost, I’d imagine. What sort of price is a consultation and bespoke orthotic footbed?

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

Do you have bowed legs?

If not, you’d probably be better off with heel wedges, not forefoot wedges.

Onzadog
    Free Member

I don’t think I got much change from £500. I’m sure plenty of people would say they had my pants down but given what doesn’t hurt now, I’m happy with the results.

What is interesting, is that my inserts are 3/4 and don’t reach the ball of the foot but they do stop my feet from collapsing under load.

handyman153
    Free Member

Back when I raced cyclo-cross “almost” properly, i had the problem of egg-beater pedals damaging the carbon soles of my shoes.
    Crank Brothers did provide some absolutely useless plastic shoe protectors with pedals, so I fashioned some very similar units from thin aluminium sheeting. Nothing particularly pretty, but it worked perfectly. Only downside was it added around 2mm to the base of my shoes, but obviously this isn’t a big issue.

I can’t imagine it being hard to make yourself some with a slight angle to them.. If you have access to a vice, drill, saw and file?

J

downshep

Custom is way beyond my price range.

Already have sole savers. Might find some dense angled plastic and get shaping.

Thanks all.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘Homebrew SPD cleat wedges.’ is closed to new replies.