• This topic has 11 replies, 4 voices, and was last updated 12 years ago by IHN.
Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Homebrew lights – which connector for battery?
  • IHN

I need to change the connector on my light’s battery cable as the old one’s a bit knackered.

What’s the STW homebrew lights water resistant electrical connector of choice?

I’ll get two, so I can whack on the charger lead too.

IHN

Bump for the Monday morning crowd

smudge
    Free Member

Most seem to use either the DC Power sockets like the ones found on Lumicycle lights ie. 2.5mm DC Power plugs/sockets or the smaller 2.1mm type.
    One tip, make sure they are both (plug & socket) from the same manufacturer to ensure a snug fit.

There are dearer types available but most go for the above.

Smudge

IHN

Cheers Smudge. Any particular brands better than others, or all much of a muchness?

aracer
    Free Member

One tip, make sure they are both (plug & socket) from the same manufacturer to ensure a snug fit.

Have you found that to be an issue? Personally I’ve never noticed any problems mixing and matching so long as the middle is the right size.

Personally I have DC power jacks like that on my bike lights, though I use Molex connectors for head lights (compatible with the old Silva batteries). If I was starting from scratch though, I think I’d go for a standard RC power connector, for example http://www.giantcod.co.uk/male-female-connector-10pairsset-p-406552.html

IHN

aracer – those RC connectors wouldn’t be waterproof/resistant though would they? What I need will be on the cable from the battery to the headunit, so will be exposed to the weather, and needs to be undoable to connect the battery to the charger.

aracer
    Free Member

those RC connectors wouldn’t be waterproof/resistant though would they?

No – neither are the DC power jacks Smudge suggested, or the Molex connectors I use on my head torches. It’s a total non-issue – water won’t short out a power connector supplying significant amounts of current. I’ve completely immersed my Molex connectors (which are completely open) without a problem.

IHN

Fair enough!

Cheers chaps.

smudge
    Free Member

Whats the current connector you use? Id be more inclined to just replace the battery connector. Just remember to insulate the rear of the connector so water/damp cant get inside the connector and corrode it.

Best option if it was me would be to buy a DX/Magicshine extension lead and cut it in half. One half for the light (you say its homebrew so you can open it up and replace the existing lead) and the other for the battery. That way no soldered connectors and the connectors click together and gives a more weatherproof fit. All you would need extra is a 2.1mm DC connector to solder onto the charger then. Job done.

cp

Have you found that to be an issue? Personally I’ve never noticed any problems mixing and matching so long as the middle is the right size.

I’ve found it an issue. One maplin supplied socket doesn’t fit a battery connector too well, but another, different Maplin connector (in line) fits really well.

IHN

Whats the current connector you use?

Not sure about the proper name, but it looks a bit like the Molex ones that aRacer mentioned.

The light’s a bit of a bodge. The battery, battery holder and charger are from an old set of Fireball lights, the head units a Troutie special (one of the Triple CREE 700-odd lumen jobs he was doing a while back). The current battery connector sits inside the battery holder, which fits in the bottle cage. Thing is, it’s a bit fiddly to connect and undo and the way the battery holder screws together to get to the battery/connector means the wires are constantly being twisted and untwisted. I’d like to instead hard wire the battery in the battery holder and have the connector on the cable between it and the head unit. If that means sticking a different connection on the charger it’s no big deal.

IHN

Sorted, just ordered a Magicshine Y-cable, that’ll give me the three bits I need, ready for a chocolate block bodge 🙂

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Homebrew lights – which connector for battery?’ is closed to new replies.