Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Home techie help- Humax files watchable in another room?
  • kayak23

My Mum has one of those Humax television recorder wotsits linked up in one room full of content.
    Is there a simple way that she can link another television in another room wirelessly to the Humax so as the content can be watched on that other television?

She just bought a Chromecast dongle which sort of works. You link up your android tablet with the Humax which is connected to your WiFi and via the Chromecast app you can then watch it on the other television which has the dongle fitted.
    It works but isn’t so straightforward and means you have three devices on the go.

Was wondering if anyone knew of a simple way of doing this?

If you ask me, telly is mostly carp but hey….

somouk
    Free Member

You can get wireless devices that will connect to the scart socket and transmit it yo another one plugged in to the other TV.

Some have the little remote eye and laser too so you can control the box.

nbt

You can enable your Humax box as a DNLA server (or as a plain FTP server) and connect it to the network, then use the second as a receiver. You shouldn’t need a chromecast to do that although if you can’t connect a network cable you may need a woreless dongle of some sort.

Probably the best place to ask would be the http://hummy.tv forums

cranberry
    Free Member

Which Humax recorder thingy do you have – for the Fox series there is a good alternative firmware that might be of use to you.

kayak23

I don’t know what she has exactly but I remember it saying something about foxes..
    Foxsat or something?

I’ll check out that forum thanks nbt.

nbt

humax foxsat – satellite freeview
    Humax fox hdr t2 – terrestrial freeview. With custom firmware available can be set up to do loads

cranberry
    Free Member

A Foxsat HDR would be the Freesat/satellite tv version of their box – the same model that I have. If you install Raydon’s firmware – look for “Raydon’s Media and File Server Bundle for the Humax FoxsatHDR – Release 4” then you can put a Twonky Server on your Humax box and I would have thought ( I don’t have one to check ) you should be able to use the Chromecast dongle to browse the media library of the Humax and select/play whatever you want.

To install the firmware you’ll need a usb key ( ideally 4Gb or less in size, follow the instructions on how to format the key, copy the firmware to it and put the key in the front USB slot of the Humax. Reboot the machine and it should automatically install the firmware. From there you can use a browser to connect to the Humax box and configure the twonky server.

The firmware will also allow you to attach to the Humax as a drive letter on a Windows machine, or use FTP to connect/download files.

kayak23

nbt – Member
    kayak23 pointlessly vacillated

😆 Ha ha!…

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘Home techie help- Humax files watchable in another room?’ is closed to new replies.