Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Home report house selling woes, anything I can do?
  • doh
    Free Member

To put a long story short I have sold my house but a few days before signing the dotted line the conveyancer has found that there is no paperwork for a bathroom that was made slightly bigger by knocking through a cupboard.
    This now requires a £300 survey and will prob need an extractor fan fitted to bring up to code.

1, why would an existing bathroom now require an extractor?
    2, nothing about the bathroom was noted in the home report when I bought two years ago. Is there anything I can do about this not being included 2yrs ago when I bought but is now an issue now I’m selling.

So in short suck it up or will I have a chance of getting a complaint noticed.

thecaptain
    Free Member

You can try telling the buyer it’s their problem.

totalshell

when was this work done and by whom..

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    suburbanreuben
    Free Member

Tell the buyer you’re happy for them to comission a survey,at their expense, if they see fit.

climbingkev
    Free Member

Tell them to ram it, would you let a house you wanted slip by for £300? Similarly they could tell you to foot the bill, would you lose a sale for £300? *PokerFace*.

I realise I’m not helping. But would tell them to ram it.

dvatcmark
    Free Member

Extractor fans are now required by building regs, but if you can prove your bathroom pre dates the change in the regs ( can’t remember when it changed sorry ) tell the solicitor / buyer to do one

pirahna
    Free Member

Tell them to open the window.

jam-bo

That’s what indemnity insurance is for.

cheers_drive

What Jambo said. Our else had a very similar sounding extension to the bathroom.

cruzcampo
    Free Member

Concur indemnity insurance.

My current place has an extension, they couldn’t get all the regs together when the sale was going through, indemnity insurance covered it all faff free 😀

beaker2135

That’s what indemnity insurance is for.

This, just sold a house that had an en-suite with no planning permission. Indemnity policy was the answer, I think it was £165 we just paid it as it was our error. You should do the same IMHO

sandwicheater

Yep, indemnity insurance. Normally based on the re-build of the home, did one for a mate last week for a loft conversion with no planing permission. Assuming the buyer is happy to go down this route.

May be cheaper to just whack in an extractor fan?

[/shameless plug] I run an insurance brokers, if you pm me I’ll happily give you a quote[/shameless plug]

footflaps

You’re only obliged to meet Building regs at the time of the work, so just say the work pre-dated the extractor fan.

doh
    Free Member

Thanks for the helpful answers,

I’m guessing the work was done by the previous owner, the thing that gets me is that it wasn’t on my home report when buying.

This housesale has left me with a vicious hatred of estate agents and the like. I hope all their turds start going in reverse 👿

mark90
    Free Member

I assumed they did, that’s why they are so full of shit

julians
    Free Member

Thats very unlikely to make the purchasers change their mind, you’re under no obligation to get it sorted, so if they want the house they need to accept it in its present state.

We had similar, but in ours the extractor fan had failed, the buyer initially insisted it should be fixed as a condition of the sale, I had a quick look at it just in case it was something simple like a fuse, but it wasnt, so I said I wouldnt be fixing it, and they were free to withdraw their offer. They didnt, they bought the house as it was.

No-one is going to not buy a house because of a few quids worth of work that needs doing, houses are constantly in a state of some disrepair, you just need to keep on top of the big (1000’s quids worth) of stuff.

cruzcampo
    Free Member

Concur in the grand scheme of things an extractor fan install is peanuts.

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘Home report house selling woes, anything I can do?’ is closed to new replies.