Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • Home Renovation costs
  • vorlich
    Free Member

We’re in the market for a new home ATM and are looking for a bit of a project. We’ve seen a detached 2 bedroom 1930s bungalow which needs a fair bit of work doing and I’m trying to get an idea of costs. We’re based in Fife.

1. Re-tile Roof
    2. Full rewire
    3. New Boiler

I assume a new boiler will be in the region or £2-3k, but I’ve no idea about roof or electrics.

johndoh
    Free Member

roof – £6-10k

Rewire – £4-6k

And whatever you estimate total costs to be – double them.

And and – if you need a new boiler, do you need new pipework/rads throughout? Add another £4k

dooosuk
    Free Member

3. Depends what you have fitted and when. My plumber said in summer when he’s quiet he could fit a combi in our 3 bed terrace for £1500.

captaincarbon
    Free Member

Same sized Bungalow here, new roof last year £6500. new membrane, battens, tiles, re-point 3 chimneys.

Tame electrician is re-wiring each room at a time, new sockets, LED spots, approx 300 each room..

We have to do the boiler too! 😐

johndoh
    Free Member

approx 300 each room

That’s cheap.

Don’t forget you’ll need to get a nice new consumer unit too.

richc
    Free Member

I paid ~ 9K for a new roof including slates, felt and all new timber. Not sure if that included scaffolding though

Rewire depends but 4-6K is normal

New boiler, I would expect to have much change out of 4K.

however what you might find is that when the roof gets done you find other things, same with the rewire and heating.

Plus you will need to replaster as the rewire or it will look terrible.

So its worth having double that figure

vorlich
    Free Member

It would be nice to do a big bang approach and get it all done upfront, but realistically, I think we’d need to spread the cost where possible.

At the moment all we have to go on is the home report, so we’d need to get some estimates and take it from there.

It does need a new consumer unit, would a viable approach be to get that done with a partial rewire, then complete on a room by room basis, like Captain Carbon? I expect this would be more expensive in the long run, but more easily digestible financially.

johndoh
    Free Member

It does need a new consumer unit, would a viable approach be to get that done with a partial rewire,

I guess it could be done but the sparky will probably hate doing it and it will cost you more – it’s going to be much easier to test and sign off a complete rewire than messing about with bits and bobs here and there.

konagirl
    Free Member

It’s also possible that when the new consumer unit is put in, it will trip with the old wiring and you’ll be stuck paying the electrician to diagnose the problem(s) and fixing them to leave you with working electrics, in between the re-wires. Having said that, we re-wired our downstairs in one go and then upstairs in a separate ring in two phases and it worked fine and our spark didn’t mind doing over a period of time.

captaincarbon
    Free Member

Ask around, get quotes, find someone that is looking for smaller jobs that can be done whenever you or they have the time.

Jondoh, £300 is silly cheap, (and the consumer unit is the only thing that was new in the place – fitted just before we bought it) … but the guy is happy to work evenings and weekends to fit it around his full time sparky contracting work.

Same applies to builders, plasterers etc, it really pays to ask around. you will need to budget extra for replastering ceilings or walls if needed. Just had the Lining room done. 6 x led spots, 4 double sockets, ceiling boarded over and skimmed, one wall skimmed – all in just over £850

This is all new to us, never had to renovate this much before…

£2200 to fit the new woodburner though was a bit on the tasty side!

johndoh
    Free Member

£2200 to fit the new woodburner though was a bit on the tasty side!

Cost me £1800 to get the chimney relined when we installed one – despite being told by the previous owner (a fireman!!!) that it was perfectly safe.

Yes, safe if you want to make your entire house and the other five properties on the terrace one big kipper smoking facility…

vorlich
    Free Member

Don’t start about stoves, that idea is becoming more and more distant…

trail_rat
    Free Member

just wait till your temporary repair wears out as well johndoh and itcosts you another 1800 quid !

captaincarbon
    Free Member

The builder said he would fit it, have seen his work and its good, but wanted a dedicated woodburner installer to do all the work and HETAs certify it. Thought it would not be quite so expensive as we only have a 12ft chimney, so would need less liner, but no, Mrs CC wanted the custom slate hearth and “floating” oak lintel, 🙄 how STW can she get? she’ll be usning my merkur for her legs now and nicking my singlespped cross bike!

johndoh
    Free Member

just wait till your temporary repair wears out as well johndoh and itcosts you another 1800 quid

S’alright, I’ve moved.

(It was a concrete lining so it should last a while though).

trail_rat
    Free Member

captaincarbonwas she looking at my fireplace for ideas. i have those things….

so STW i didnt even know it. the only thing i bought mind you was the wood to make the mantle , the rest was left overs(my dads a builder) in my parents garden

qwerty
    Free Member

If you can factor in X months rent of somewhere else while the works going on: it’ll be easier for the trades, quality of life will be better for you, it could well get done quicker.

jambalaya
    Free Member

OP I have heard very good things about the new insulating membranes they fit on roofs now, not sure if they are included in the costs above as I heard they where quite expensive. The roofing cost is highly dependent upon what sort of tiles you use, I assume you are not living in any sort of “conservation” type area where you have to use certain tiles/slates.

vorlich
    Free Member

We live not far from a load of bungalows ATM and a good few of them have done either partial or full roof work recently, all of them have used membrane. Looks like the way to go…

It’s not within a conservation area, the current tiles are clay type.

RustyNissanPrairie

chimney lining is a massive con, get the chimney swept& pressure tested first to see if it needs doing. 99% of stove suppliers insisted on ours being lined without even looking at it.

twicewithchips
    Free Member

Hiya vorlich
    I’ve got a few names I’ll dig out for you.

I think roof should be more like 3 K for a materials – more if there is wood needing doing. There’s a bunch of crooks been round here offering to spray some grey ‘thermal’ paint on them that cost the old boy 2 up 7K – they wrecked the roof doing it so he paid 4.5K to get it re tiled.

Wiring depends how much you do yourself, cutting channels, etc is easy but messy. If it’s just new sockets and fittings do it yourself. I did about half the work on ours then got a sparky to finish off/fit a consumer unit. £700 (homer)

8 rads and a Vokera boiler cost 4K (semi-tame plumber)

I know a guy does chimneys, but no idea what he charges, will ask if you want?

edit – oh and what ever the survey says about rising damp, ignore it. There’s no such thing!

northernmatt

Our rewire cost £2100 but that didn’t include a new consumer unit as the one that was in was fairly new. This if for a 3 bedroom terrace.

Boiler will vary, Combi to Combi swap will be about £1.5-2k depending on size of boiler. Double it if you want all your radiators changing and valves and controls putting in.

vorlich
    Free Member

I did about half the work on ours

What are your plans for July? 😉 I’ll pick your brain on Thursday.

As it happens, we went for a look at a place tonight and it was a complete hovel, needs gutted, too much work for us…

This is all good info though, the search goes on.

Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)

The topic ‘Home Renovation costs’ is closed to new replies.