Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Home plugs / Powerline adapters
  • mtbmatt
    Free Member

Can someone who uses these things please explain if this will work…

We want to extend the range of a internet network beyond the wifi range.
    Sticking a pair of these in would seem to work, but are they limited on range at all? Does the signal reduce if its a long distance through the electric wires?

I know they decrease the speed, but thats not as important.
    What if we put a router on the furtherest end, setup to mimic the original Wifi router, will it act as a range extender?

nickjb
    Free Member

They do special units specifically for extending wifi. Just buy one of those sets.

mtbmatt
    Free Member

What about the range?
    Will it work in an outbuilding thats 40-50m from the house?

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    scaredypants

What nickjb said

(I like solwise units and I buy them from a shop called faculty-x. I’ve no connection (err, IGMC 😳 ), but they’re cheapest I’ve found and dependable)

brant
    Free Member

Used to work OK in my shed.

P20

We’ve got TP Link ones. They work fine. The furthest one is in the separate garage, which is fed by another fuse box, wifi works fine in there

mtbmatt
    Free Member

Sounds perfect, thanks.

zomg

I use homeplugs to increase Wifi coverage in my house. I decided against the range extenders mentioned because they more than double the traffic on your wireless network (thereby more than halving its speed as well).

I have two access points connected via homeplugs. Both have the same ssid and password and are set to wireless channels that don’t overlap. DHCP is enabled on only one of them so that everything gets put on the same subnet. It just works – I get decent connections throughout the house even on the devices I know are rubbish and couldn’t see the network at all from some rooms before.

gravity-slave
    Free Member

What if we put a router on the furtherest end, setup to mimic the original Wifi router, will it act as a range extender?

Just get something like this – Powerline to Wifi extender.

http://www.tp-link.com/lk/products/details/?model=TL-WPA281KIT

If you set the extender up with the same SSID and password but different channel to your router and you’ll have a seamless setup.

Got one, work great from house to workshop.

If you are trying to reach an outbuilding that’s probably better than a stand alone WiFi extender, which would need to be half way down your garden for maximum benefit!

sadexpunk

We’ve got TP Link ones. They work fine. The furthest one is in the separate garage, which is fed by another fuse box, wifi works fine in there

any chance you could help me out a bit there please?
    ive just today took delivery of a tplink jobbie, and ive followed the instructions, connected laptop to tplink, disconnected from network, entered the admin/admin passwords etc and got the laptop working as a wired network. i could access the internet on it.
    ive now plugged it into the bluray (which is why ive bought the tplink, as bluray drops signal sometimes), changed to wired network, it finds it, it has a new set of IP, DNS addresses that all look ok.
    but, when i go to network settings on bluray, it says its ‘connected to local network, but cannot connect to internet. check the dns settings in IP settings or contact your service provider.’

can you think of anything im doing wrong? i dont understand how something can be connected to network but not internet.

could it be that the signal is WORSE from the tplink than just going wireless without it as a bridge?

thanks, (and sorry for slight hijack)

scaredypants

try connecting the bluray direct to the back of your router & see what happens then ?

What if you connect something else to the TPlink – will that work properly?

What is your TP link jobbie ? got a link ?

I wonder if “connected to local network” might just mean there’s a cable plugged in to the back and to a powered socket but the TPlink isn’t receiving from the other unit ?

WHat if you try a different plug ?

(I’m now at the limit of my ability to help, so don’t get your hopes up)

sadexpunk

its this one

i connected the laptop to it first, to do the settings. the laptop then connected to internet as a ‘wired connection’ and i could surf away.

unplugged it, stuck it in the bluray, and thats what i get, network but no internet. i cant plug bluray into router as router is in a different building (shared internet). this is why i bought the tplink, as the wifi signal drops sometimes on streaming netflix, so i was recommended the tplink as a bridge.

thanks

scaredypants

Is that “all” you’re using ?

I think that thing needs to be attached (by wire) to a wired network

Your power lines only work as a wired network if you use powerline adaptors like these (one at each “end”):

sadexpunk

no, not using one of those, and the instructions dont tell me to either. im doing just as they say with no success. (theres also ickle pictures of setups, and no seperate plugs involved)

scaredypants

so you’re using it as a wireless repeater, not wired at all ?

I think you need to set it to client mode, then, from a quick look at their setup guide (option 5 on the version on their website)

I’m not sure it’s the right solution though, as your bluray sounds like it has built-in wifi already (though I suppose the TPlink might have stronger wifi reception than the bluray)

If you want the bluray working as a wired network device I think you need 2 powerline ehternet adaptors – plug your main router into one and the bluray into the other and then it’s wired in and not dependent on wifi at all

sadexpunk

youre right, blu ray is wifi, but keeps buffering a fair bit. no issues with laptops, so figured its just a weaker antenna on blu ray?

advice on avforums was to buy the tplink as a bridge. and yes, it was also suggested i set it up as client. right now tho, it wont connect to internet in either bridge or client mode. im struggling :-/

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘Home plugs / Powerline adapters’ is closed to new replies.