Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Home office/own business printer/all in one laser – any recommendations?
  • Rich_s

Toodle pip. Currently have a Lexmark E352DN mono duplex laser, plus a HP deskjet for photo duties. Toner is running low on the E352, which at 160 quid a pop, plus I think the paper feed mechanism is on its way out, means I might as well look for a replacement and could consider a swap for both.

Mono currently does c.3000-4000 pages per year, inkjet is just photos for relatives so 30-40 A4 colour images per year.

Am considering whether a scanner would be worth it for copying duties, but thinking that there is more to go wrong and I’m not sure it’s worth paying any extra when I can just take a photo of whatever I need to copy (receipts, invoices, etc).

Does anyone have any recommendations? Wifi is pretty much essential, ability to do ipad and android printing would be ace. B&W or colour, if colour it needs to be able to do reasonable quality photos. Duplex is useful.

Not too fussed on price as the business is paying, but low running costs are obviously better.

Have browsed around for a few options already, but would welcome any pointers!

Cheers

mrblobby
    Free Member

In a similar position. Tried an all in one, a colour laser, and a few other combinations. All either lots of bother or expense. Went back to a decent B&W laser for volume, a cheap colour inkjet for photos, and a separate flatbed scanner (which I don’t use much these days as phone cameras are so good.) Found it to be the best combination.

allthegear
    Free Member

If it’s only 30 or 40 colour photos a year, go down Boots or whatever and print them there. Seriously, it’s not worth the ink-jet hassle…

Rachel

mrblobby
    Free Member

If it’s only 30 or 40 colour photos a year, go down Boots or whatever and print them there. Seriously, it’s not worth the ink-jet hassle…

This is probably true (or just upload and order online.) You’ll get better prints. Still like having a colour inkjet though for the convenience, and cheap ones do surprisingly good prints these days.

Rich_s

@ Mr Blobby
    Funnily enough, that was at the back of my mind too as I have a stack of spare inks for the deskjet. What B&W laser did you go for?

@Rachel
    Yep, I use photobox for prints, but with postage and infrequent use it’s not worth doing it that way – I’d be paying £2-£3 per print per time. Never seem to think that the store-print options are any good either.

mrblobby
    Free Member

I got a Samsung ML-2995ND. Probably a newer model out as I’ve had it a while. Is network but not wireless. Does AirPrint though from iOS. Does duplex too.

Looking at the new ones, the SL-M2835DW looks like it does everything you want and is only 150 quid RRP (can be had for quite a bit less.)

butlerjamesp
    Free Member

I have an Epson CX17WF which is pretty good, separate cartriges for the laser stuff but it has power fed scanner, fax, duplex, wifi. Not bad really plus can get aftermarket none branded consumables for it too which don’t detract from the quality of the print.

mrblobby
    Free Member

Never really liked my colour laser. Photos weren’t great, nowhere near as good as a cheap inkjet. And trying to print on anything other than A4 paper was a pain. Also the price of 4 toner cartridges was ridiculous and made the thing obsolete when they ran out. May have improved in the past few years though.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘Home office/own business printer/all in one laser – any recommendations?’ is closed to new replies.