Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Home networking. XP & 7. How ?
  • I’ve got two computers connected to my broadband router, one running Windows XP, the other, Windows 7.

There’s a Home Network thing on the XP one to connect it to other XP computers and there’s a Homegroup thing on the 7 one to connect it to other 7 computers.

Is there an easy way to send stuff from XP to 7 via the router ?
    It doesn’t matter too much if there isn’t, as I can just put it on my remote hard drive and physically unplug it from one and plug it in to the other, it would just be handy if I could.

allthepies
    Free Member

Yes, you can do it – I did when I wanted to transfer stuff from my old XP box to a new WIn7 box. The exact method escapes me but google found it for me.

xiphon
    Free Member
    nickjb
    Free Member

You should be able to configure your network and set up folder sharing but another option is an on-line system like Dropbox or Skydrive. I use Dropbox, everything in the dropbox folder gets backed-up on the web and copied to any comptuers I’m sharing it with. Great way to keep the laptop and desktop in sync.

Thanks for the replies.
    I wouldn’t have thought networking two computers in the same room, both running a Microsoft OS and connected by cables would be so complicated.
    I’ll have a proper look at Dropbox/Skydrive later when I’ve got more time as that seems to be the easiest way to do it.

allthepies
    Free Member

Using a web/cloud type storage medium as a way to transfer data between two boxes sitting on the same LAN might be painful if you have large volumes to shift. Ideally windows networking is the way to go but yes, MS do seem to make it difficult.

Mounty_73

I used dropbox, couldnt be any easier really, it works well…

soma_rich
    Free Member

Another option is to get a network attached hardrive which both PC’s can see.

nickjb
    Free Member

Using a web/cloud type storage medium as a way to transfer data between two boxes sitting on the same LAN might be painful if you have large volumes to shift.

Dropbox uses the LAN if its available, if not it’ll go via its own remote server. Its really changed the way I work at home. I hate to sound all preachy and fanboi but its great 🙂

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

I have exactly this set up and just set up folder sharing between them both – so various selected folders are available to see from both then drag and drop stuff around

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Home networking. XP & 7. How ?’ is closed to new replies.