Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Home NAS
  • Gee-Jay
    Free Member

about 2tb’s, anybody got any ideas on whats good and bad & why?

cheers

mickyfinn
    Free Member

Do you just want Storage or features like Print sharing, Media Server, Squeezebox, etc?
    If the later a Qnap is superb but not the cheapest option.
    The prior the Freecom home NAS are decent enough.

alfabus
    Free Member

i’ve got a netgear readyNAS duo – two drive bays, so 2TB very easily done.

good support community, lots of addins (like squeezebox, itunes, transmission etc.) and fairly frequent firmware updates.

very happy with it so far (had it 18 months)

Dave

jota180
    Free Member

Good – Netgear NASDuo
    Why – It’s been quietly sat under the stairs for at least 3 years just doing its job, not a single issue with it

Gee-Jay
    Free Member

I think media sharing is good, somewhere to put music and photos so I can access from all home computers & kids can back up homework etc.

I like the sound of sat under the stairs for 3 years with no need to touch it.
    Cheers

Tiger6791

Avoid – LG N1T1

’tis pish

nickjb
    Free Member

I’ve got wd mybook live, which is the cheap option. Seems to work Ok. It shows up on the network and I can watch the content on my TV, not much to add. Seems to suffer a bit with my slow and shonky home network but I’m in the process of fixing that.

pedalhead
    Free Member

Pretty hard to beat the HP Microserver deal that’s out there at the moment. £100 cashback, which means you get a decent server for around £150. Just add storage and an OS.

somouk
    Free Member

I have the Synology DS 212 NAS and to be honest it is excellent. The apps for the Iphone/Ipad are really useful and being able to access all my stuff from anywhere at anytime is really good.

Pretty cheap as well and supports mirroring of the drives.

Bimbler
    Free Member

Also have the Synology 212 – it really is brilliant in that it does everything so seemlessly and unobtrusively. The nerd in me is intrigued by the HP Microserver though.

pingu66
    Free Member

I have a QNAP TS419, 6TB raid 5. Got fed up losing stuff so went the whole hog. Been sat quietly for over 18 months.

I did screw it up but QNAP support logged in sorted it out etc after the warranty period, from Taiwan or wherever they are.

If you want to ensure you don’t lose data get something with RAID 5. Mine has 4x 2TB discs so I don’t think I will run out of space anytime soon.

m1kea
    Free Member

I have two Netgear ReadyNAS’s.

First, a Duo which was fine for storing stuff but has pony write speeds due to disk mirroring.

Second is a Ultra 6 (raid5) which has been happily running for over a year. Data storage and Squeezebox duties.

We have two of their ReadyNas 3200’s (24TB) at work which have been pretty good for the past two years so no issues with Netgear as a company.

Defo worth getting a small UPS as well

theflatboy
    Free Member

i had the same query a few weeks ago. ended up going for a single bay QNAP TS-112 NAS + a 2tb server standard harddrive. very pleased so far, works a treat – does everything i wanted and a lot more.

Was about £200 for the lot.

ir_bandito
    Free Member

I have a Buffalo Linkstation
    It works.

Toying with the idea of setting it up as a webserver so I can access stuff remotely, but haven’t got round to it yet…

scholarsgate
    Free Member

I’ve just set up Nas4free on an old desktop.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘Home NAS’ is closed to new replies.