Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Home mechanic fail
  • thetabber
    Free Member

Last night, replaced chain on bike, turned crank a few times to check all working well and tweek the gearing.

This morning, head off to work, few pedal turns then nasty noises. Chain has split, rear mech is wedged into rear wheel with a spoke jammed in by the lower jockey wheel, barrel adjuster snapped clean off.

Removed the chain and the rear mech in now pointing towards 11 o’clock, mech hanger bent so much it’s almost touching the cassette.

Gutted, can’t get it into the bike shop until Monday either so no riding until at least next week, assuming they think the hanger can be bent back.

Gutted, that is all, needed to put it out there. Will take more care putting pin into chain next time.

aracer
    Free Member

Will take more care putting pin into chain next time.

Use a quicklink next time.

(sorry if that sounds a bit harsh – sympathies for your predicament).

Simon

Will take more care putting pin into chain next time.

Or use a Powerlink

thetabber
    Free Member

No, i think it may be good advice, used links before without issue, but then i’ve used plenty of shimano chains with the pre-placed pin without isue too!!

cynic-al
    Free Member

STeel frame? Not difficult to bend back with care.

richmars

Sorry to hear about your problems, but this is a good reason to have at least two bikes.

franciscobegbie
    Free Member

Is there a club we can join? I managed to wreck my crank bolt last night.
    I was literally on the way out the door for a ride when I thought I’d check my cranks for play – I’d had the crankset off to replace a chainring last week.
    I couldn’t get rid of the movement, no matter how much I tightened the bolt. Then I stripped the thread in the bugger.

thetabber
    Free Member

I feel your pain franciscobegbiem, and you’re right richmars, it’s a good excuse for a second bike if funds permitted.

It’s a 2007 Genesis Altitude i’m very fond of so thankfully steel and bendable (fingers crossed).

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘Home mechanic fail’ is closed to new replies.