Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • home made tubeless fluid
  • neil853
    Free Member

Anybody have any home made recipes? Fancy giving it a shot, never been amazed with stans and its not a cheap liquid either….

grum
    Free Member

Well round here tubeless fluid is known as tubeless jizz, so….

mboy
    Free Member

There was a whole thread about it on MTBR forums years ago. I painstakingly studied the whole thing, and tried various different concoctions of my own.

All of them worked, to a fashion.

Stans is MUCH better though as it doesn’t dry out anything like as quickly!

Just buy Stans quart at a time and find a cheap supplier is my advice.

endurogangster
    Free Member

Yeah that mtbr thread was going round in circles, interesting read tho if you have a spare week! I’ve always found stans to be fine, just top up every 6 months

chip
    Free Member

Crc do 1 litre of joes super sealant for £13 I think.
    Only a nugget more than they sell the 500ml for.

jameso

Stans doesn’t dry out like latex+water does but it separates into water and rubber-coral things so doesn’t last any longer as effective sealant ime. One is expensive and needs replacing fairly regularly, the other is cheap and needs replacing regularly or cleaning/peeling out once dried.
    On balance I use latex+water, 1:1 or 1:2 mix, either is a higher latex content than stans.

cynic-al
    Free Member

I used art shop latex 50:50 with water, worked fine, did dry up over time as above.

That mtbr thread suggested mixing in slime and anti freeze IIRC.

jameso

I tried adding antifreeze, didn’t stop it drying out, dunno if that was the intent. Just had some screen wash to hand and bunged it in to see what happened. Didn’t go as far as glitter, slime and all those other things. Enough’s enough..

cynic-al
    Free Member

I think it was to stop it freezing 😛

No idea what might stop it drying out.

jameso

I think you’re right, seem to remember the glycol content of antifreeze being mentioned for helping it stay liguid a bit longer, would prob stop it sealing as fast if so. Never gets cold enough here for me to worry about it freezing )

brassneck

Stans is MUCH better though as it doesn’t dry out anything like as quickly!

Just buy Stans quart at a time and find a cheap supplier is my advice.

I’d go along with that, it seals stuff other sealants don’t and seems to last plenty long enough for the twice yearly tyre change. Seems to be worth the price when a tube is £4.99 from a shop.

Speshpaul

JRA wheel milk, has always worked for me.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Stans doesn’t dry out like latex+water does but it separates into water and rubber-coral things so doesn’t last any longer as effective sealant ime.

That only seems to happen to me if I’ve used CO2 on it? Otherise it’s always dried out before seperating.

I’ve just used Stans for the last few years, it’s still far cheeper than tubes.

JRA wheel milk, has always worked for me.

I had some ages ago when tubless first caught on, it dried out and seperated really quickly, but maybe they’ve refined the recipie.

coatesy
    Free Member

Feel free to make your own sealant, but on behalf of all bike mechanics, if it looks/smells like it’s been wrung out of a tramp’s underpants, please remove it before you ask us to work on your wheels. 😥

mefty
    Free Member

I use:

1 part latex – this one £19 incl. post

1 part Windscreen washer concentrate. £1 per litre

1 part Tap Water

So £6.67 per litre.

Works well and is comparable in performance with JRA’s Wheel Milk.

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘home made tubeless fluid’ is closed to new replies.