• This topic has 210 replies, 53 voices, and was last updated 9 years ago by acjim.
Viewing 11 posts - 201 through 211 (of 211 total)
  • Home made GPS with mapping and tracking
  • rjj
    Free Member

I am going to try and attach mine with one of those silicone bands and see how it gets on.Link

cr500dom
    Free Member

I`m really stuck,
    haven’t used this (Orux Maps)for ages, forgotten everything and cant get back to the basic settings ?
    I have buttons too big on the screen but cant seem to find the basic settings again to change the display set up ?

I`ve now wasted 2 hours of my life, got an Irate mrs, and a big ride on tomorrow which I cant get to display in a meaningful format

Please stop me going out and buying a garmin !?!? 🙄 🙁

mikethebike2010
    Free Member

Great idea many thanks for it, I bought a defy mini on eBay (as new re cons now down to £30, small scratches £24!). Then I got hold of the hope light bracket.

Rather than bolt to the phone direct this is bolted to a case – it’s bendy meaning there’s room for a big washer which will hopefully spread the load and that the phone retains its waterproofing.

Seems pretty stable so far.

I’m using viewranger as can easily plot and upload routes from my Mac.

acjim
    Free Member

Argh, my Defy has stopped picking up satellites and won’t work with oruxmaps anymore. Anyone had a defy and fixed this?

nemesis
    Free Member

Given that you can get them cheap, probably just get another one….

acjim
    Free Member

Thanks, I did think of that but given the slight hassle to setup a garmin plug I think I’ll buy an garmin edge touring instead – pretty inexpensive from Germany

iffoverload
    Free Member

have you tried using the GPS Status app?

Faster GPS app miight be worth a look as well, you can use it to easily reset your NTP server and region settings if they have gone wonky for some reason.

acjim
    Free Member

Yes I did try that, no joy, it’s possible that it will return but it dropped me in the poo the other day (had to ride an unknown route which worked ok but could have been a real pain). It’s been a good and very cheap way to try digital mapping though.

eviljoe
    Free Member

Acjim –

I had this happen to me a week or so ago . Rebooting seemed to help. I’m now using Locus rather than Oruxmaps, and find it more reliable.

greatbeardedone
    Free Member

Sorry folks but my links never work….

So, if you are looking for a secure way to mount your smartphone, have a look at Edinburgh Bicycle Co-operative
    Revolution Smartphone Holder
    Click to enlarge
    Revolution Smartphone Holder
    (6 reviews)
    Free collect
    in store >
    Exclusive >
    Find out more >
    Handlebar stem-mount Smartphone holder.
    Makes your phone accessible when you ride.
    Especially useful if you use your phone as a GPS.
    Colour Price Availability
    Black £2.99 In Stock

DescriptionImagesTechnical DataReviewsQ & A
    Average: 3.5 / 5
    Submit a review
    weordie
    Newcastle
    Great little smartphone holder. Easy to attatch to the bike as well. Emphasis should be on little though, won’t hold a phone like a Galaxy S4 in a secure way (the top doesn’t close over). If you have a smaller phone though it’ll be great. Should say in description it won’t fit newest models though.
    duckwaj
    East Sussex
    What at bargain! easy to fit, works great and pleasantly understated. Rivals start at about £50. Buy it, its a no-brainer
    Matt W
    Warwickshire
    A great idea in theory and having had a bad experience with a less than solidly attached phone holder, this looked ideal. The construction is solid however Edinburgh Bicycle need to point out that this is not suitable for angled stems as the mount does not sit correctly on the headset. I do feel that I have been misled into thinking this product would work on my bike.
    chramm
    Derby
    Just to mention that I bought it for a Nokia E72 and it fits perfectly.
    m1sterbee
    Fife
    I thought this might be a bit gimmicky – but it’s not.??Easy to fit onto the steerer, had to relocate the bell on to the fork on the bike but definitely worth it.??I use the cyclemeter app to track my regular commute – this is great to keep an eye on progress. It’s secure, weatherproof and just really simple. ??Fits the iPhone 4 perfectly and I fitted it to a Specialized Tricross Sport.??Great for receiving that “can you pick up milk?” text or “you forgot your wallet” – now you can react to these messages in real time rather than view them at your journeys end after retrieving phone from your pocket.
    unknown
    Darlington
    I have been looking for this device for some time for my wife and was thrilled to find one on a notification from edinburghbicycles. I was just about to order one when I spotted the footnote explaining that it fits to the steerer/spacer on modern bikes and not it seems to the stem or handlebars. No good then, as it needs to fit to the stoker handlebars of a tandem.

That’s the best I can do 😮

acjim
    Free Member

I’ll have a go with locus, gps fix doesn’t show a fix though

Viewing 11 posts - 201 through 211 (of 211 total)

The topic ‘Home made GPS with mapping and tracking’ is closed to new replies.