Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Home made bleed kit for Avids?
  • tonyd

Hi folks,

I thought I saw a thread a while ago where someone posted instructions on how to make up a home made bleed kit for Avids, or did I dream it?! A forum search doesn't find anything.

Can anyone point me to it?

Ta

anotherdeadhero
    Free Member

It was some plastic aquarium piping connectors DIY threaded with the right sized nut IIRC.

Tubing and syringes are easier to come by. Aquarium or model shops for the tube and chemists/ebay for syringes.

geoffj

The only slightly tricky but is getting hold of the brass bleed adapters, which screw into the caliper and lever.

I keep meaning to check the size and buy some to knock some kits up.

There is a home brew option on ebay: http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Brake-Bleed-Kit-Avid-Juicy-Elixir-Code-models-/180504129557?cmd=ViewItem&pt=UK_Spots_Leisure_Cycling_Tools_RepairKits&hash=item2a06e27015

br
    Free Member

The Avid kit might be dear to the point of extortion – but it works well

i_am_JC
    Free Member

BurnBobs DIY kit

Possibly this? Something I'll probably try to put together some time over the summer.

tonyd

That's the blighter, thanks JC.

br – yep, I'm sure it works well but £35 for a couple of syringes and some tubing doesn't sit at all well with me, and I consider myself a spendthrift!

mike_check
    Free Member

http://www.nickersoneurope.co.uk/CGroup2.asp?MID=07&PID=01&CID=17

scroll down there's barbed tube fittings for 3 or 4 mm pipe and M5 thread (think it's M5 you need) 68p each!!

Orange-Crush
    Free Member

I just got my pal with the lathe to drill the right size screw then used plastic tube (B&Q) and a syringe (scrounged).

rbrstr
    Free Member

i went down this route,and spent hours farting around achieving nothing. i had some bleed nipples machined down but i found the problem with home brew kits lie with the o rings. because the threaded hole on the caliper is slightly recessed the o ring needs to be spot on and they arent the easiest size to find!

Its a pisser, but the genuine kit is a worthy investment if you want to bleed them properly and easily

2wheelwonder
    Free Member

HI
    I started buying all the bits to make a home made bleed kit but then sold the brakes,i have the clear plastic pipe,2 syringes and 2 of the rubber pipes that screw into the end of a bike pump which you use the end of to screw into the caliper and lever and put the plastic pipe on the other end but they have to be re threaded with a M5 nut so it says on the article i read about building your own kit,the only other thing you need is 2 clamps to put on the clear pipe.All yours for £5 delivered

2wheelwonder
    Free Member

This is the instruction for the kit i was going to build.

http://www.bikeradar.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=15700549

BurnBob
    Free Member

Still using my original bodged homemade kit, works well!

roystonsmith
    Free Member

2 wheel wonder

Go on then, I'll have the bits.

I'll e-mail you.

R

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘Home made bleed kit for Avids?’ is closed to new replies.