Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Home insurance/stolen bikes advice please
  • chilled76
    Free Member

Evening all,

Some of you may have read about my four bikes that were stolen from my locked garage last monday.

Having contacted the home insurance company (esure) they are ringing tomorrow to discuss the claim and what has been stolen and I had a text asking me to find info and receipts (generic automated jobbie).

Now two of the bikes were listed on the policy with a value of £3000 for one and £1000 for the other.

I’ve got photos of all four and I have an paypal payment proof for the frame of the one listed at £3000 but beyond that I don’t have much in the way of proof of purchase (a lot of the kit was bought on forums and met and paid cash for).

Are they likely to tell me to bollocks? And if so what is my best way to argue a successful outcome?

It’s not worded that I need receipts in the policy documents.

Any advice/help from people who have been through this shit time before would be greatly appreciated.

Paul

fr0sty125
    Free Member

I discussed this with my insurer when taking out the policy and they said photos were pretty much enough.

chilled76
    Free Member

I hope thats the case. I’ve got a bucket load of photos and some evidence of purchasing.

Need to get hold of cotic and see if they can re-issue a receipt for the Bfe as that was bought new.

Basil

Have you committed insurance fraud? No, then claim on the policy you thoughtfully took out against a bad thing happening.
    We have been targeted four times and now have some very strict policy details.
    We had the spanish inquisition the last time over the telephone.

Stick to the truth, don’t invent stuff to cover your excess. Our company asked for pictures and emails from purchases,but not providing proof of purchases did not effect the outcome.
    Your real fun will be when the people from Wheelies call!

fr0sty125
    Free Member

But you can just get cash can’t you?

Basil

A lot of companies use Wheelies and they will give cash but it is around 30% less than the value offered in credit from their web site, which interestingly has most items at RRP!

chilled76
    Free Member

Cheers guys. No definitely no fraud here. Just bought a lot of kit that I have no proof of purchase. I’ve got photos though and proof I bought the banshee frame.

I’ll guess I’ll find out tomorrow.

Wheelies? Is that a company that will provide replacements? I’d rather have a cash settlement as I don’t want to replace them. I’m giving the sport up as a result of this, not intrested in keeping bikes in the house and I’ll be damned if I’m going through this emotional rollercoaster again by putting 6-7ks worth of kit in an outbuilding again.

If they do insist on replacing them then I may have a brand new bike or two for sale soon. Whole things made me feel sick!

Edit: Two of the posts above didn’t show before I sent this making me sound a bit thick.

MoreCashThanDash

I’m a former claims manager. Photos will be fine. If you want a cash settlement it will be limited to what your insurer would have paid to replace it. Easy with off the peg models, different insurers deal with custom builds in different ways.

Don’t let this put you off riding. And don’t tell the insurers you are quitting riding and want the cash. Given the cost of your bikes it seems unlikely and alarm bells will ring, and they may double check everything again.

Basil

It is a shame to let the actions of some scum change your behaviour.
    But I can understand. My wife worries that now we have to keep the bikes in the house the scum will break into the house.
    But the joy, both physical and mental cycling provides is worth it.
    If they break the house I may change my opinion.

chakaping
    Free Member

Sorry to hear about your burglary, I know what it feels like and that feeling that it could happen again at any time.

Pretty sure you can get a cash settlement, even if its 30% less it’ll still be quite generous (if on a new-for-old policy).

I’d really not recommend using Wheelies, had a terrible experience with them over a series of issues myself.

But don’t give up MTBing mate, just get a nice s/h bike for £500 to £1k and chain it up.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Home insurance/stolen bikes advice please’ is closed to new replies.