Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Home insurance and covering bikes…
  • robwms
    Free Member

Who do people use for their home insurance and covering their bikes?

Just about to buy a house and have heard good things previously about M&S but they have recently changed for the worse by all accounts?

Any info would be great as with all this mortgage, life cover, energytarifs, surveys, etc etc my brain is fried!!!

street
    Free Member

I’m with More Than and have got my bike on my house insurance. I didn’t have my old bike specified so when some scrotes broke into my house and took it, I only got £500 back for it. When I got my new bike I made sure it was covered fully. I think it cost me about an extra £180ish on my policy to get it insured for £2500 both in and away from the home, don’t know if thats a good deal or not as I didn’t shop around at the time.

Apart from that More Than were the cheapest for general home insurance for me and the way they dealt with my break in was excellent. I had a cheque for the value of all the missing items about 10 days after it happened!

speaker2animals

Have you had an actual look at M&S on their on-line quote tool. It may have changed but it all seemed to get a bit confused on here with people talking about cover reduced on continuation after claims etc. At least give it a go.

robido

i used saga got two bikes covered for £3000 each includes away from home total cost for house and contents was £340 with bikes included. did it with compare the market

Hareydan
    Free Member

I renewed this week, I was with M&S but the renewal quote seemed quite high, did a price comparison thing and am now with sheila’s wheels. Only got one bike insured though, not sure how competitive they’d be if you need to cover any more.

trail_rat
    Free Member

Im having a mare – Currently got m and s – on old terms – cant upgrade that to buildings insurance as well they wont let me and ill be on the new terms at the end of this year anyway

Need a new policy

Have more bikes than m and s allow and worth more than green bee will insure

What is everyone else doing ..

trail_rat
    Free Member

Nodding dog looks promising for ” pedal cycles”

MRanger156
    Free Member

NFU Mutual – need to haggle a bit with the price but they are great in my experience with two bike claims. Don’t think there is a limit and very good to deal with.

ftr1873
    Free Member

Another one for More Than here. As mentioned previously make sure it is specified properly, it did bump the insurance up a bit but was pretty reasonable to be honest. Even on my renewal, they didn’t try and bump the price up as is the usual tactic.

robwms
    Free Member

thanks for the advice, will give them a call asap!

trail_rat
    Free Member

mranger – waiting on a call back from nfu – specifying doesnt work for me – id be paying about a grand a year in insurance….

me and the mrs both have a few bikes.

IHN

I went with Co-Op. Standard cover for bikes is £1000, which’ll do for my 456 and CX bike and her Cube, put her £1800 Kona on as a specified item no issues. All in for £160 (no buildings cover as we’re renting).

Covered away from home etc etc too.

mrflaky
    Free Member

Just swapped from M&S for this reason, gone with Sainsbury’s insurance, bike is down as a stand alone item, at 4K which includes accidental damage as well.

I phone Sainsbury’s to confirm that there cover is as good as it says it is and have been confirmed that the bike is covered at the 4K and if I break it out riding it will be covered! Madness.

MRanger156
    Free Member

I have two bikes secified on my home contents insurance – one or £3k and one for £800. Cost me about £17 a month but thats just contents.

MRanger156
    Free Member

NFU also covered for breakages/damage BTW.

trail_rat
    Free Member

guess i best go write down all my values then for the callback for itemising them for a quote – used to pay 350 for a year with m&s contents only – need buildings insurance now though

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘Home insurance and covering bikes…’ is closed to new replies.