Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Home insurance
  • DT78
    Free Member

So the dreaded M&S renewal has come in, limiting cover to 2k. Playing with their online tool looks like when I ask to add the bikes it will be bumped to a £1k per annum, which is massive for a 2 bed terrace.

Having read the recent threads for recommendations and been trying a few out, but are there any that cover bikes below £3.5k as standard online without me having to phone and run through the detail only to find a silly sized premium at the end?

Ideally I would like a good idea of the likely quote amount and shortlist a few insurers before I spend an afternoon on the phone to them all.

Dango
    Free Member

ART

Try Sainsbury’s with whom I saved over 50% on my annual cover 3 years ago (buildings & contents combined) when the quite frankly bonkers M&S premium was hiked yet again, and just became too much to swallow. All our bikes ensured to correct value, and relatively simple to change the details if you change bike. Insured home & away as per the M&S policy.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    br
    Free Member

Playing with their online tool looks like when I ask to add the bikes it will be bumped to a £1k per annum,

How much was it before you added the bikes?

DT78
    Free Member

£548

Compare tools aren’t really that helpful as they don’t show outbuilding or bike cover (I have only tried one so far though)

I’ll look at sainsburys next ty

DT78
    Free Member

So, how are people dealing with bikes that have different wheel sets? So in summer my roadie has carbones, in winter braccianos. Quite a big difference in the overall price. If it helps, the bike came with a third wheelset which has since been sold….

andyl
    Free Member

this is going to make a lot of you feel sick but we have just got insurance with bikes covered up to £5k EACH (£100k total cover) for <£140 (no buildings as we rent the house we live in.

Catch is you or your partner needs be the right profession: http://www.lloydwhyte.com/

br
    Free Member

£548

Beruit/Oldham?

As a comparison with just taking the £2k limit ours is half that, and it’s a bit more than a 2-bed terrace.

ir_bandito
    Free Member

I was with M&S until, erm, yesterday.
    Renewal came in, increased by £50 or so and dropped max cover on bikes to £2k. Pessimistically valued my better bike at £3k (assume the others are less than £2k) and it added another £80 to the premium.

So switched to Direct Line Select. Premium costs less, bike cover is £10k effectivly (max price for a single item). Only possible downside is M&S was unlimited total contents, Direct Line is £100k, but that’s not an issue for me…

satchm00
    Free Member

Strange because my auto renew was only £2 more with m&s!

3 years with m&s, no claims and not changed anything on the account.

andyl
    Free Member

my m&S renewal was £260ish. Can’t remember what it was the last couple of years but I think it’s gone up a bit (seem to remember it being around £200 originally).

That said being with M&s was ‘reassuring’ as I felt they would handle any claims well. But the bike cover dropped to £2k this year and there was no way they could compete with the quote we got from the other place.

spooky_b329

The terms on renewal are still better then a new policy I think so the online quote tool probably won’t give you the same price as ringing them up.

bumpy
    Free Member

I’ve just renewed with M&S.
    When I used the online quote thing it gave me a quote of £1100 or so. I called them to see if they could do a better deal and they added my bikes for an extra £80 a year.
    Basically, ignore the online stuff and call them.

FuzzyWuzzy

If switching make sure its the same sort of cover (new for old, very few T&C about security, accidental damage cover etc.). M&S is becoming a bit of a rip-off but I stuck with them when my renewal was due a few weeks back as I felt it was still worth it. I did find adding a £200 excess brought the premium down a huge amount, other than that though they didn’t want to budge on renewal quote which surprised me (even after ringing them back a couple of times with comparison quotes and saying I was switching).

DT78
    Free Member

Yep I’ve been reading all the policy t&cs kind of why the comparison sites aren’t really worth much, as they are not comparing the same terms. It’s taking me ages.

Amazing the things that aren’t clearly defined in the policy. For instance, Covered if in a locked building. So does a metal or wood shed count as a building? What about in the car, covered if out of sight, a blanket over the top of the bike count?

Best term so far is if you get a hole in one in a golf tournament you can claim £500! Somehow I think I’m not the demographic that insurance is looking for….

M&S were very good when I had a claim 6 years ago, sorted quickly. Reckon I am still paying for that claim in my premiums.

alfabus
    Free Member

direct line select – you have to do it over the phone, but they cover all bikes without you specifying them (no cap on value) and they’ll price match M&S

/thread

njee20
    Free Member

Best term so far is if you get a hole in one in a golf tournament you can claim £500! Somehow I think I’m not the demographic that insurance is looking for….

I was similarly incredulous when I read about hole in one insurance. A golfing friend said it’s quite popular because the protocol is that you buy everyone in the clubhouse a drink, which can be expensive!

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘Home insurance’ is closed to new replies.