• This topic has 14 replies, 8 voices, and was last updated 8 years ago by DrP.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Home Gyms…whaddya keep your free weights on?
  • DrP

Getting the home gym up and running…have karndean flooring, but don’t really want to leave the free weights lying on that long term, and also don’t want them rolling about..

I’ve had a look on ebay and a few online gym shops, but really i want a ‘largish rubber/foam tray’ thing to keep teh weights in on the floor. Not a rack as they are not fixed dumbells.

One option would be some foam flooring, but ideally i’d like something with a lip to stop weights rolling/kids rolling them away.

Does such a thing exist??

DrP

craigxxl
    Free Member

When I had the home gym I used the foam flooring. It tends to sink with weight on it which stopped things from rolling. If you using it I would recommend taping the joins on the reverse to stop it being a trip hazard.

steveoath
    Free Member

Not the nicest aesthetic, but a rubber boot liner would have the lip.

DrP

Yeah, something like that, but ideally about 70 x 40cm….

Hmm, dog bed?!

DrP

darryl1983
    Free Member

I use a weight tree, this one:

http://www.fitness-superstore.co.uk/body-solid-olympic-weight-tree-bar-rack-1.html

Though I’ve got almost 300kg of plates to store, and several bars. This might still work quite nicely for a couple of dumbbell bars and individual weight plates, as it sound like you might have that setup.

Cheaper option for standard non olmypic plates:
    http://www.fitness-superstore.co.uk/body-power-standard-weight-tree.html

sc-xc

My father in law knocked this up for me…he reckons it cost him about a tenner.

Works really well, and keeps them off the floor.

DrP

^ Looking good.
    Basically this is the arrangement at the moment…I’m after something more ‘betterer’ than the cardboard box…

DrP

i_like_food

I’ve got a rubber stable floor mat from Countrywide (an agricultural store, we’re in the country). It might be a bit big at ~1m x 2m but its heavy duty and has grooves (i assume for sweeping horse poo/wee along) that stop weights rolling about. It was £75 but it’d stop your nice floor getting knackered?

footflaps

I built a proper platform and toaster racks for the plates..

[url=https://flic.kr/p/ook5m5]Toaster Racks for Olympic Discs[/url] by Ben Freeman, on Flickr

wrecker
    Free Member

Sorry to derail, but I’m interested what bar footflaps uses? I understand you’re not impressed with the strengthshop offerings so wondered what you use?

footflaps

The best one I’ve found so far is the Exertrain Crossfit bar – about £250 RRP, but I picked one up in a sale for £120. My coach uses it as well (8 hours every day with clients) and he really rates it.

Not sure which one is in that pic (I’ve had three in total). The worst quality bar I’ve ever seen is the one Strength Shop sold me for £400 (Taishan). The chrome was so bad after a few week use that the Olympic discs don’t slide on / off properly as they catch in the chrome. Strengths Shops response was basically F*** off.

NB Exertrain don’t normally have a price list on their website as they mainly deal direct with gyms for fit outs etc, but you can phone up and get one sent to you and they deal direct with the public. Great service and products – 100x better than the crap Strength Shop flogs (and cheaper).

wrecker
    Free Member

Thanks Ben. Exertrain don’t have a substantial web presence do they?!? I can’t fing anywhere that sells it. I like the look of the Rogue chan bar.

footflaps

Juts give them a call and ask for prices for bars. Their kit is really nice.

footflaps

Just looked and it’s called “Crosstrain” rather than Crossfit.

DrP

Boom!!
    Found what I wanted!!
    Rubber boot tray!

Under £10..happy DrP!

DrP

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘Home Gyms…whaddya keep your free weights on?’ is closed to new replies.