Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • home from Morzine :-)
  • emma82
    Free Member

well, I went on my holiday with my specialized XC comp to Morzine for a week and it survived and so did i http://www.singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/sensible-advice-for-a-very-confused-girl it was amazing, best holiday ever and will be back there next year. We mostly hung around the Les Gets bike park area and did some of the red runs there. the breaking bumps seemed to be horrendous – are they always that bad? I learnt lots and my riding improved loads, was suitably scared of the chair lifts and the storm troopers for the first few hours, especially when the very first run I accidentally attempted was the avalanche world cup course when I got off the Pleny, oh well, live and learn – I only attempted it once.

What's the busiest time of year over there? It was nice and quite while we were there but it was a week or so before their season starts up and lots of lifts and shops/bars weren't open but then I'd hate to go when its super busy because other people tend to be a pain in the bum. Sorry, I'm a loner at heart. 😆

nickjb
    Free Member

We tend to go at the end of the season. The braking bumps are pretty bad then so I suspect they are never 'good'. If you like quiet hills just move away from the Les Gets park. Surprisingly few people venture to other areas despite the riding being excellent. The town is nowhere near as busy as it gets in ski season.

Alphabet

I thought the braking bumps were a feature built into every trail in the area by the course designers. 😉

Ambrose

Emma- were you there last weekend for the PPS? A group of us were in Les Gets, had a load of fun. The braking bumps are very common- just ignore them and you'll be fine- hit them at speed if you can. Speed is your friend, brakes are not, well not always…

Out of interest- did you change your bike before the trip? Were the maps of any use?

emma82
    Free Member

We will explore much more next year now we have our bearings. The lift passes were quite expensive too, about 20 euros a day so wud probably get a wk pass next year too. I'm ready to go already!

footstomper
    Free Member

Can't wait to get there 😀 I am off to Les Gets this coming Saturday for a week. I was going to take the road bike as we are watching some of the Tour but after looking at some of the runs on the internet I decided it had to be the mountain bike (as a compromise to the wife and others in our group I will be taking some slicks along to use on the road whilst watching the tour).
    I will be using the lifts but I also want to ride up some of the big hills/mountains to help me get fitter 😛
    How was the weather ❓ I hope it will be warm and sunny but not blazing 8)

yoshimi

Chavannes is well known for its braking bumps
    Witrh regards to chairlifts, first time I went I got on one on my own, started gettting higher and higher and very scared thinking surely there should be something to hold me in or put my feet on – I then realized that you have to pull that thing down from over your head, by this time I was clinging on for dear lifew I couldn't bear to let go of the back of my chair to reach up and pull it down…lesson learnt 😯

saxabar
    Free Member

Me too yoshimi, with a snowboard strapped to my feet 🙄

hels
    Free Member

I was there a few years ago the day they closed the lifts at the end of summer. Tumbleweeds were rolling down the streets. If you want quiet trails that is the time to go.

Loads of the stuff you have to actually ride to has no braking bumps !

Munqe-chick
    Free Member

Emma you can get a week lift pass to cover the WHOLE of the Passporte region for 40 euros you took THE most expensive option! Then you can sell it if you don't use it all, as we did, stand in the lift line and offer it to people, you will be surprised how much money you save.

The breaking bumps are pretty much always horrific especially if they've had a dry year, think the only time I remember Les Gets NOT having any was one year we went when it was pretty horrific and rainy.

Did you not get over to Pre la Joux (valley into Chatel)? Or Les Lindarets valley where the super waterfall is? Or Pointe de Moisettes for the hobbit land awesome twisty singletrack (with a few small bumps and hills). How long were you there for? I'll let you off if you weren't there too long 😉

I tend to go to Morzine the middle 2 weeks in July which I presume would be their "busiest" time but it never feels over crowded or horrific, you just have to ignore people tanking up behind you and they'll over take when they can, normally they are pretty good!

So glad you had an awesome time, where did you stay? this is our first year in 6 years that we aren't going 🙁

emma82
    Free Member

Hey munqe – yes we deffo chose the most expensive option and because a lot of the lifts weren't open we didn't go very far, first trip to France and to the area so we spent 4 days on the bikes, 3 days walking then a couple chilling out drinking wine letting our bums recover as we had to ride up a few hills to get to certain places.

We did a route out of the bikefax book someone recommended and I was soooo glad I bought my fullface before starting on that one, Ive never pooped myself so much! we didn't get to the places you mention riding but we are going back next year and will know more about the area so will get to ride more as we'll go later in the season when more is open.

We stayed at a campsite in Montriond – 17 euros a night and was very nice and brilliantly situated, wud recommend it to anyone wanting somewhere decent to stay. only thing was the wood cutter place next door had a generator which you could hear but that was it.

So glad we went it was amazing – can see why you have gone back for so many years! x

mk1fan
    Free Member

Just spent the week there. Rode the PPdS on Sunday. Had a rest day on Monday – well I tried to fix the van. Went to Pila on Tuesday. Used the free lift pass on the Wednesday. Then our Guide got use two-day passes for €26 on Thursday. The wife of one of the guys used their multi-pass on Monday to take their bike over to Les Gets for the day which is a great example of whilely femanine ways.

Great week, only rained once for 30-minutes in Crossettes on Thursday and Friday afternoon whilst we were cleaning the bikes ready for the trip back.

Only 51-weeks to go until back there again.

Thinking of doing an over night trip to Pila next year but need to make sure we don't miss Le Sherpa's BBQ on Wednesday.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘home from Morzine :-)’ is closed to new replies.