Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)
  • Home & Contents Insurance inc Bikes
  • egb81
    Free Member

So Nationwide have decided that they’d increase my premiums and decrease my cover, particularly regarding bikes so they’re a no go any longer. Does anyone have any recommendations? I’ve ‘compared the market’ and I can get a much cheaper deal and spoke to Admiral who can cover the bikes but have and eye-watering £500 excess in case of theft, which would sting somewhat. Is that normal? I’m a co-habiting owner occupier.

IHN

Try Fresh Insurance. They’re a broker and got me a cracking deal with Axa

stevied
    Free Member

I’m with American Express insurance. Much cheaper than most I’ve tried, better cover, no silly excesses

andyl
    Free Member

Do either you or your partner fall into one of these professions?

Home

of so them give them a call. Really good cover.

egb81
    Free Member

She’s a nurse, sadly not a dentist.

egb81
    Free Member

Anyone got any experience with Admiral or Axa?

deadkenny
    Free Member

Oddly when Nationwide changed underwriter to UK Insurance (aka Direct Line), I seemed to gain cover.

Before I was not getting specific bike cover, only vague cover under personal possessions but there was a separate additional cover I could pay for specifically for bikes (and not much at that). Now they’ve automatically covered me for bikes. Okay it’s £1k max they’ll pay out on a bike, though it is per bike and up to £5k, including away from home and overseas. That’s without specifying a bike. I haven’t tried yet but might do to see if they’ll bump it up for not too much more.

I’m a bit stuck with household insurers though as my road floods outside my house once every 10 or 20 years, and though the house never has, most insurers say “computer says no”, or charge a fortune. Nationwide didn’t seem bothered and insured me fine for not too much beyond the cheapies.

woodlikesbeer
    Free Member

I’ve got AA insurance. Bikes up to £1500 insured as far as I can tell. But only at home. Unless I missed something. I’m not aware of any silly excesses – think it’s £150.

gee
    Free Member

Just swapped to John Lewis. Good deal.

granny_ring

Take you’ve tried M&S?

deviant
    Free Member

I’m with Nationwide, bikes not mentioned specifically….they come under contents and are also covered away from the home, in the boot of the car etc etc….only a max of £1000 per bike, any more than that and the premium had to go up but seeing as i dont have a blingy FS race bike at the moment the £1000 is more than enough for my 456-evo.

steveh

aa for me this year after years of m&s. very similar cover and half the price. 250 buildings and contents with 2 4k bikes specified.

grum
    Free Member

John Lewis +1

tymbian
    Free Member

+1 for Axa through a A-plan insurance brokers Banbury.

larrydavid
    Free Member

Direct line – bikes automatically up to 1k and specified up to 4k. Sensible security measures required e.g. Bikes stored in a locked outbuilding.

egb81
    Free Member

I’m with Nationwide, bikes not mentioned specifically….they come under contents and are also covered away from the home, in the boot of the car etc etc….only a max of £1000 per bike, any more than that and the premium had to go up but seeing as i dont have a blingy FS race bike at the moment the £1000 is more than enough for my 456-evo.

I have three bikes over a £1k and one over £2k, they told me they won’t cover anything over £2k. A really poor showing imo as they weren’t exactly cheap in the first place and they ramped up the price while offering a really poor deal.

fr0sty125
    Free Member

I’m with co-op home insurance, bikes up to £1k insured in the property as standard and my full sus is insured in and out for £2k. However I think the most expensive bike you can insure is £2.5k. £50 excess

njee20
    Free Member

A really poor showing imo as they weren’t exactly cheap in the first place and they ramped up the price while offering a really poor deal.

Do you have any other products with them? They asked me about home insurance when I was sorting something on my bank account. I said they didn’t offer sufficient cover for bikes, and they said that they do better deals if you’re already a customer, dunno what, but perhaps worth looking at.

honeybadgerx

Another +1 for John Lewis. Gave me the best quote for when I renewed my car insurance too.

egb81
    Free Member

Do you have any other products with them? They asked me about home insurance when I was sorting something on my bank account. I said they didn’t offer sufficient cover for bikes, and they said that they do better deals if you’re already a customer, dunno what, but perhaps worth looking at.

All accounts and mortgage are with them, which makes it all the more disappointing.

njee20
    Free Member

Did you ask in branch/on the phone, or was just an online renewal? Like I say, they said they had better offers when I spoke to them, but that was perhaps just trying to entice me!

vinnyeh

Quick questions
    – are any of these policies new for old on the bikes?
    – are specified bikes insured for rrp, or cost/build value, or an arbitrary guess?
    – if not new for old, how much do people lose on payouts/ what age are the bikes?

elliott-20
    Free Member

+1 John Lewis here too.

Got cover for £4000 bike plus their premium cover for less than I was paying for less cover with Aviva.

njee20
    Free Member

Quick questions
    – are any of these policies new for old on the bikes?
    – are specified bikes insured for rrp, or cost/build value, or an arbitrary guess?
    – if not new for old, how much do people lose on payouts/ what age are the bikes?

M&S are, but you do now have to name them, they still came out cheapest for me. Insured for declared value – in my case what it says on the receipt(s), they may want a valuation from a bike shop for custom builds. Ask them.

egb81
    Free Member

One is custom built this year (this week in fact). Another is last year off the peg with a few upgrades that bump the price up a little. The third and fourth are priced based on what a modern equivalent would cost. I’ll have to ask a few more questions re. like for like etc.

vinnyeh

M&S are, but you do now have to name them, they still came out cheapest for me. Insured for declared value – in my case what it says on the receipt(s), they may want a valuation from a bike shop for custom builds. Ask them.

I’m still with m&s, largely for the new-for-old and away from home cover, despite the fairly hefty year on year cost increases- just wondered whether anyone else was providing same or similar cover- everybody’s cheeper premiums seem to compromise the cover.

czthompson

We’re with magnet insurance, £5000 worth of bike cover and all contents and buildings for under £200. Absolute bargain.

Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)

The topic ‘Home & Contents Insurance inc Bikes’ is closed to new replies.