Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Home computer networks
  • Harry_the_Spider

The wife’s PC can struggle with wireless connectivity as it is as far away from the router as it could be and neither can be moved. Also for whatever reason it keeps losing its setting and tries to revert to the Netgear software rather than the Windows one. No idea why. Don’t try and explain as I wouldn’t understand.

So… a question… How good, cheap, reliable, easy to set up is network communication via the plug sockets?

samuri
    Free Member

Uninstall the netgear software would be my advice.

but the power socket plus are excellent IME. Very reliable, faster than wireless and just work. Expect to pay about thirty quid for a pair.

frogstomp

They can work very well but it will depend on how good your wiring is..

You could also try a WiFi range extender which can improve coverage further from the router.

Could you just uninstall the Netgear software?

Drac

I have the power socket ones for my desktop and they work very well 7dayshop for about £25 IIRC. I’ve also got a wireless extender as an extra boost upstairs works brilliantly too.

I’d do what Samuri says though dump the netgear software it’s not needed and probably causing conflicts.

Harry_the_Spider

Ta. Will remove the Netgear software. However, if this causes my wife’s computer to pack up I will set her on you.

You have been warned.

leffeboy

WiFi sometimes works better if you change the router from using ‘b/g/n’ to just using a single ‘type’ e.g. just ‘g’

Also you can use INSSIDER to find a free channel and force your router to that rather than letting it select

…or just by the power sockets and get on with something more fun 🙂

V8_shin_print
    Free Member

If the router is old consider replacing it, the range of these things just continues to get better. That would also apply to the netgear dongle.

Davesport

I’ve got the whole house networked using Solwise kit. It’s plug & play…simple as & lots faster than the previously overstretched wireless.

D.

Flaperon

The BT online shop has Trendnet Nano adapters for £25 a pair. They’re the 500mbps ones but only have 100mbps Ethernet sockets on them, which leads to some negative reviews. However, as anyone who’s used these things knows, the only way you might get more than 100mbps out of them would be to plug them into adjacent plug sockets, it’s not a big loss.

Their main advantage is that they’re smaller than the competition and – crucially – cheaper.

miketually
    Free Member

Are the power-line extenders able to work on different ‘loop’ of the electrical wiring? My office is on the same loop as the kitchen wiring while the router is on the downstairs sockets, so they have different circuit breakers.

Markie
    Free Member

Powerline plug things IME just work. Absolutely ace. IMO.

And yes, they work across loops if they’re on the same fusebox.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Home computer networks’ is closed to new replies.