Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Home cinema set up advice needed
  • rossrobot
    Free Member

I’ve had a basic 5.1 setup for the past few years and want to upgrade. Nothing fancy, just needs to:
    -sound decent
    -accept input from the tv, PS3 (optical) and a turntable
    -not have too many wires;I’d be happy with two speakers and a subwoofer

Any hints or recommendations appreciated. Ideally would like to spend £200-£400 only.

craigxxl
    Free Member

Not sure if any interest to you but I have just replaced my Denon AVR-1907 AV Receiver which will do all you need and I will be putting in the classifieds this weekend for less than what your minimum spend is.

Spec here

Review here

Simple set up with Audio Technica were you place the supplied mic in the seating area and it automatically calculates and optimises the speaker outputs for better audio.

I’ve only upgraded as we have gone the Apple Airway network route again using Denon equipment.

rossrobot
    Free Member

Thanks Craig – definitely looks interesting. Will wait till after the weekend when I’ve hopefully had more replies, and been able to do more research, before making a decision.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    bruders338
    Free Member

getting a decent AV receiver is key really.

I know you only have a set budget but if you could i would spend that money on an AV receiver alone and maybe try and buy some second hand speakers. or go all second hand (must be some good deals out there)

ebay does sometime bring up some great deals.

I sold my bowers and Wilkins cm8 system (5k) for 2.4k i regret it but love my twins more.

stevenk4563
    Free Member

Something here would probably suit your needs.

Milkie
    Free Member

I’ve been looking at the Onkyo TX-NR515, only £275 from RicherSounds. It has a lot of features, internet radio, DLNA, plays FLACs, etc. It had some bad reviews, before the firmware update, but seems pretty good to me!

CountZero

I’ve been looking at the Onkyo TX-NR515, only £275 from RicherSounds. It has a lot of features, internet radio, DLNA, plays FLACs, etc. It had some bad reviews, before the firmware update, but seems pretty good to me!

Over recent years Onkyo and Yamaha seem to swap places at the top of the highly recommended lists for A/V receivers, so either would be a good choice. My Yamaha is years old, and could do with replacing now, as it’s seriously lacking in things like HDMI inputs; it has none!
    That Onkyo could be just the ticket.
    http://www.whathifi.com/review/onkyo-tx-nr515
    Four stars, downgraded from five, tested at £450, reviewed at £279!
    Sounds (!) like a bargain, my big Yamaha DSP-AX2 was £1000, cost me £500!
    Ha! As I was saying about Yamaha and Onkyo:
    http://www.whathifi.com/review/rx-v673
    If I can stretch, the addition of AirPlay makes it a serious contender.

Cougar

My Yamaha is years old, and could do with replacing now, as it’s seriously lacking in things like HDMI inputs; it has none!

I was in the same boat about a year ago, and replaced it with a new Yamaha. Never looked back, well worth the upgrade.

ampthill

I think going 2.1 with your needs will be a bit ineffecient.

I think you’d be better off either going with ab audio amp and 2 big speakers either floor standers or big speakers on stands. You’d have to do the ps3 using its audio stereo output surely thats fine as its stereo only on output. We use to have this set up and it sounded good, paricularly with music. Decent big speakers and you won’t need a sub woofer. We use to have this but binned it as it was blocking the view out the window

Or go with a reciever and 5.1 speaker sytem. We have a Onkyo tx 309 and Bosten acoustics xs speaker package. Its way better with movies and tv than the old hi fi. Its atmospheric and easier to hear what people are saying. You can attach a turn table provided the turn table has a built in pre amp. It would be under budget for you. Although its more wires its tidier as the speaker are wall mounted

CountZero

As ampthill says; if I’m just listening to music I switch effects off, which gives me the two front satellite speakers and the sub, in fact it does it automatically when I select the input for the Mac, or the DVD player I use for music. When I select the Sky box it gives me full 5.1 surround, which does make a big difference to watching TV; often when you get voices coming from behind, or doors slamming or vehicles moving behind you it really does heighten the atmosphere.

2unfit2ride
    Free Member

I just changed from a Sony STRDH820 to the Onkyo TX-NR515 & the difference is amazing, the Sony just can’t compete, I was going to get the Yamaha rxv473 but it was out of stock.
    Well worth spending a few extra quid to get something better, & to me a decent sub is an absolute must, but if you want my few month old Sony I’ll cut you a deal, how does £100 collected sound? 😉

Good luck with what you choose.
    Cheers.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Home cinema set up advice needed’ is closed to new replies.