Viewing 28 posts - 1 through 28 (of 28 total)
  • home cinema experts – HDMI to scart….possible?
  • fastindian
    Free Member

thinking of getting a PANASONIC SC-BTT400EBK 5.1 Smart 3D Blu-ray Home Cinema System for the play room but telly only has scart connectors, you can get cables but will it work?

Drac

Even if you could I wouldn’t waste the money buying a Blu-ray for a SCART only TV.

ampthill

You have to buy an active component (fat cable with bits in)

try googling hdmi to scart ?

molgrips
    Free Member

No – not possible, and also pointless.

Your blu-ray player will probably have composite video out anyway so you should be fine with that.

Slogo
    Free Member

this will connect to the other end of the lead.

ampthill

Its not cheap but can be done

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=hdmi+to+scart&oq=hdmi+to+scart&aqs=chrome..69i57j69i61j0j69i60j0l2.4442j0j8&sourceid=chrome&espv=210&es_sm=93&ie=UTF-8#es_sm=93&espv=210&newwindow=1&q=hdmi+to+scart&tbm=shop

But as others have said why bother?

jambalaya
    Free Member

Why bother ? Becasue the op wants to use his current tv.

I’ve been researching the same and it seems the best solution is either hdmi to AVC to tv or as above if the BlueRay player has an alternative to hdmi out use that if the tv has the equivalent.

CountZero

If your TV only has SCART sockets, then surely it’s only going to be 720, therefore BlueRay will look no better than a VHS video tape.

Drac

Why bother ? Becasue the op wants to use his current tv.

Waste of money buying a Blu-ray 3D Cinema system for a Scart TV may as well buy a DVD player.

mudshark
    Free Member

If your TV only has SCART sockets, then surely it’s only going to be 720, therefore BlueRay will look no better than a VHS video tape.

VHS is a lot lower res than that, would be likeo DVD though.

dan1980
    Free Member

You could cobble something together using this:

Plug the Blu-ray player into this:
    HDMI in to Comp Out

and plug the above into the back of your SD TV with this:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Component-YPbPr-Audio-Scart-Video/dp/B0060HOY5O

The downside of this is that you’ll loose the 5.1 sound, and have it converted to simple stereo coming out of your TV, which sort of defeats the point of having a 5.1 cinema system.

If you have a lot of blu-rays that you want to watch on your SD TV, then the best bet would be to get a cheap blu-ray player which has a component output and use the cable listed above to connect to your TV, but you’d need to check on the audio output of the player, to make sure it’ll pass through to the SCART cable (i.e. the player has L and R stereo RCA jacks) or has an optical out you can plug into a 5.1 audio receiver of some kind if you wanted surround sound.

andyl
    Free Member

Maybe the OP has a blueray in another room so has a load of blue rays films? Would be silly to buy a DVD player and then have to rebuy all the films.

The downside of this is that you’ll loose the 5.1 sound,

Why? The DVD player has the amp built in so the sound doesnt go anywhere near the TV cables as it’s dealt with by the unit itself and played out of the surround sound speakers.

dan1980
    Free Member

The player the OP mentions appears to be sending audio via the HDMI, and it’s bought back to the amp from the TV via a digital audio cable or the HDMI if the TV supports ARC (if I’m reading the manual correctly). So passing the HDMI through the box (which doesn’t support ARC) I mentioned will strip the audio down to just the L and R channels.

Cougar

Gods, the horror.

Point the first, if the Internet is to be trusted then that player’s only video output is HDMI, so any SCART solution is going to involve some sort of hackish conversion. In lieu of knowing anything about your TV (does it, for example, have S-video or component connections?) then the best you’re going to get is an RGB signal. This is going to be DVD-quality at best, though I’d guess that on a TV devoid of HDMI it’s not capable of displaying much more anyway. Also, we’re looking at the digital-to-analogue conversion of an encrypted data source, so cheap cables are unlikely to work. A converter box that actually works will set you back something North of fifty quid.

Point the second, if you’re using the amp to watch TV using the TV tuner itself as the source, you’ll have to use either the optical digital input or the analogue inputs on the amp to receive that signal. Does your TV have either of these connections as outputs? The optical connection can transport true 5.1, but it’s a moot point here as standard definition Freeview will be Pro Logic at best anyway, and any stereo connection can carry this.

Point the third, that player has no further inputs, meaning that if you want to run anything else through the amp now or in the future such as a game console, Sky or some such, you’re knackered. If you’re only ever going to use it to watch films (or whatever streaming services it offers) then that’s fine, but if you’re going to use it as an amp for anything else you might want to consider the next model up which has a couple of HDMI inputs.

Cougar

The player the OP mentions appears to be sending audio via the HDMI, and it’s bought back to the amp from the TV via a digital audio cable or the HDMI if the TV supports ARC

How does it get from the TV to the HDMI converter, magic rainbows? ARC isn’t going to help here.

You know the amp and the player are the same device, yes?

Conqueror
    Free Member

I assume you have/own a bunch of Blu Rays

Otherwise you could say **** it and buy a DVD player with SCART for 30 something quid and the jobs done 🙂

AlexSimon

As Cougar said.

The SC-BTT400EBK ONLY has HDMI
    You’d be better upgrading the TV first, or find an all-in-one system that still has a RGB scart (or something that can be carried by scart like S-Video).

winston_dog
    Free Member

I would go on Ebay and look a s/h DVD based “all in one” system. They go for about £50. Being meaning to get one for use with an Xbox and PC. Especially as it’s for a “spare” room.

zootman
    Free Member

i bet the OP is hiding in the corner clutching his TV after these reply’s

cougar – nice responce

jambalaya
    Free Member

I can see why the op is looking at this, he buys the BlueRay player (£100?) and gets a “future proof” player with Internet streaming capability and he can upgrade his tv later.

Saying a BlueRay player is a waste of money is a bit harsh, you could argue paying anything for a movie player and hard copy media is a waste of money as you can download it all from websites for free.

Cougar

As an aside,

I battled for months with an ageing amplifier and various bastardised interconnects to make multiple sources talk to my TV in a sensible manner. Going from watching Sky to playing Xbox involved frobbing half a dozen settings to get the video and the audio to the relevant places, even when I’d got it all working it was an arseache.

In the end I went “sod it” and bought a new amp dripping with HDMI and other acronyms. I never looked back, the difference in both quality and ease of use is massive.

For instance, HDMI CEC is simply witchcraft. I can pick up any remote and control, say, the volume on the amp, then I switch off the amp and it automatically un-mutes the TV, and the same controls then all control the TV volume instead. And all this without any configuration required other than enabling it (apart from the Sky remote which is a law unto itself, they can’t even pass audio over HDMI sensibly let alone CEC).

But anyway, this doesn’t help the OP, I’m just Corbetting. As you were.

AlexSimon

On the other hand (and against my advice) – you could just buy one of these:
    http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/HDMI-to-SCART-Video-Converter-/321286722016?pt=UK_Sound_Vision_Other&hash=item4ace2e51e0

Cougar

I feel dirty just looking at that. (-:

winston_dog
    Free Member

You just know that HDMI to Scart converter is going to be shit!

AlexSimon

winston_dog – Member

You just know that HDMI to Scart converter is going to be shit!
    Of course it is, but might be ok as a stop-gap.
    Like I said – I wouldn’t. I have a Crystalio II, but then again I’m jealous of anyone who has a ‘play room’ 🙁

Buzzlightyear
    Free Member

Don’t forget about HDCP, which is present on a lot of HDMI sources like a sky box. I very much doubt that cheap ebay converter will strip the HDCP off, your get nothing out of it.

Cougar

Quite. HDCP is what I was referring to when I said “encrypted” back there, I wrote more initially and deleted it as I was only speculating as to what converters would / wouldn’t be able to cope with it.

AlexSimon

It’s highly likely that it’ll be HDCP compliant.
    Would be pretty useless without.

HDCP doesn’t require licensing for Standard Definition analogue output.

Viewing 28 posts - 1 through 28 (of 28 total)

The topic ‘home cinema experts – HDMI to scart….possible?’ is closed to new replies.