Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Home CCTV Cameras/Systems
  • mattupnorth
    Free Member

Anyone have or fitted CCTV cameras to their home or work in a related industry?? My parents live in a nice area but there's a park up their road which seems to have attracted some teenagers who enjoy messing with cars on their way home (petrol caps kicked off, my bike stolen from my car, etc!), so I'm looking into fitting some CCTV both as a detterent and obviously to catch anyone up to no good. Just wondering how much you need to spend to get something worthwhile?

From a few google searches a couple of wireless outdoor cameras linked to a harddisk recorded box seems like a good option (maybe one for the bike shed!). Are the basic ones from around £200-300 any good?

Any advice appreciated.

uplink
    Free Member

I'm not sure I'd go wireless – I haven't had any luck the couple of times I've tried them
    It doesn't take much to run a bit of RG59 cable

I've got one of these pointing at my workshop & it's pretty good TBH
    http://maplin.co.uk/Module.aspx?ModuleNo=220738

mattupnorth
    Free Member

Cheers uplink. What happened when you tried the wireless? could you not get a connection? I suppose they'll be susceptible to interference from wireless routers etc.

simon_g

What are you looking to achieve? For deterrent, use dummy cameras. For anything likely to be good enough to be used as evidence, you'll be spending a few times the quoted figure at least.

But if you want a grainy, blurry image of someone doing something, then great. Not sure what that gets you other than than a souvenir of your burglary though. Are the cars on the street or driveway? Can be a legal can of worms if the camera's view goes beyond your private property.

I'd go down the usual routes – motion-sensing lights, making the property look occupied, decent locks, avoiding leaving anything of value in the backs of cars, etc – before spending a load of cash on a home CCTV system.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

The topic ‘Home CCTV Cameras/Systems’ is closed to new replies.