Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Home CCTV – Bike Security
  • mcnultycop

Someone tried breaking in my conservatory to, I assume, steal my bikes on Sunday night. I’ve obviously moved them elsewhere (I’m moving house, so they’ve home in temporary storage).

The new place has a garage, and I’ve got ideas for storage security in there which I’m not going to talk about on the Internet. However I’m thinking some form of CCTV in the new place too. Maplin see, to have some decent looking 4 camera systems for about £300, but I’m not really sure what I’m looking for. I’d like to be able to access the cameras from my phone so I can see what’s going on when I’m at work, I’d like them to work in low light or at night.

Does anyone use such a system who could give pointers?

Cheers

simmy
    Free Member

I have a Swann system I got from Maplin a few years ago. It’s not bad, not the quality you would get if you had a system installed by ADT or someone but it’s obviously not that price.

The night vision is quite good. If you know who it is passing on camera, you know it’s them. It would be difficult identifying a stranger or getting a number plate etc.

The daylight is fine, gets number plates, can spot strangers and get a description.

It downloads onto a app on my I phone, easy to set up, get the app from the App Store and there is a QR sticker on the CCTV box so just scan that and away you go. It’s brill, I can check what’s going on from anywhere I’ve a 3 or 4 g connection.

Overall, not a bad system. We have had a couple of instances in the past were the local PCSO and Police have been in and viewed my system, once was a break in at a local shop and another was a neighbour had his car nicked and the police said it was a lot better system than a lot they had seen.

The PCSO recognised the guy breaking into the shop by viewing my system.

jambalaya
    Free Member

Obvious statemmet but the CCTV is only going to keep the bike’s safe if it acts a deterrent, as such the “sinage” has to be obvious. IMO CCTV is of most use to the Police to solve crimes which have already taken place. I do have a mate with a full multi camera system inc recording and web access which he uses to protect his garage/driveway.

nickgti
    Free Member

I’ve installed two of the Swann CCTV systems in the past 6 months, one of the more expensive ones and one of the cheaper ones.
    Both have been good systems, one used CAT6 cable to connect the other came with it’s own video and power cabling which was set sizes and had to buy extensions.

Down side of that is your cable routing as the ends are fixed if drilling walls you need a big enough hole to feed the end through. Where as CAT6 is much smaller.

Plan your cable routes and use some kind of containment, it’s no good if they can just cut the feed cable.

Trimix
    Free Member

You are assuming the scrot who wants your bike to sell down the pub for his next drug fix actually gives a shit about CCTV.

That’s probably wishful thinking.

Id not bother.

Fit one of those shotgun cartridge trip wires and get a big dog.

allthepies
    Free Member

Will the new place have an alarm ? If not, fit one before considering CCTV.

latham2104
    Free Member

NETGEAR Arlo – wireless, records on motion detection, can be viewed on your mobile, night vision, you (or the burglar) can move them easily, 1 week free cloud storage. Brilliant system that can easily be extended.

jimdubleyou

NETGEAR Arlo

Runs on batteries, is easy to nick in itself, doesn’t have local storage so relies on a network connection.

Might still get one as they do look neat.

Kamakazie

Seem good feedback on the newer Hikvision stuff.

I plan on getting a couple to pair with a NAS for recording (synology have a great app)

Rockhopper
    Free Member

8 channel DVR recorder on ebay for around £25, four cameras for around £35 and a hard drive for £50 ish depending on size (or you may already have one). My system has been up and running for three years now so the quality is okay.

deadkenny
    Free Member

Been thinking about utilising the app in my Synology also. Though was hoping I could just reuse an old webcam, but it only works with IP cameras. Though I suppose they’re much cheaper now than when I looked at this a few years back. Problem of course is having to externally power it wherever it’s placed, or use batteries.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Home CCTV – Bike Security’ is closed to new replies.