Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Home car charging point – am I being conned?
  • thatscold
    Free Member

Perhaps one for the sparkies?

I’ve gone for a hybrid company car, so I need to install a home charging point. These are subject to a governent grant, so like loft installation and solar panels there are companies offering discount installs. Maybe I’m just cynical but I don’t trust everything they tell me…

To cut a long story short. They offer a base price install £299.00, but surprise surprise, I have an older fuse box so it will be another £70.00 + vat, paid to the installer to sort out. Maybe this is true, but I can’t help feel this is the usual chancer trying it on?

swedishmatt
    Free Member

I paid about that. Not unusual to have to upgrade the fusebox. Make sure to ask if the cables in the house can cope with the amps too.

bol

Sounds about right to me. Loads of other installers to get quotes from if you don’t trust your first one. My installation ended up costing me £600 after the grant as there was quite a lot to do.

wrightyson
    Free Member

For any sparky to come and be above board (as in not cash) give you the relevant certificate and actually do some physical work such as supplying a feed, actual charging point with rotary isolator etc for 400 sheets these days is pretty good IMHO.

andyl
    Free Member

I guess you could just slow charge from an extension lead but that would probably get tiresome pretty quickly. They will probably fit an RCBO or garage type consumer unit or something next to your existing.

thatscold
    Free Member

Ok, thanks. I guess it’s not too unreasonable!

STATO
    Free Member

Have you got a modern fuse box with mcbs on multiple rcds and some spare slots? If not then I’d guess they would need to either replace it or install a one in you garage as some one mentioned above.

TheBrick
    Free Member

Seems reasonable. I bet the charge unit costs a whack.

Craggyjim
    Free Member

Is suspect that because you are charging the car outside or at least might be then it will be a requirement to have a residual current protection (RCBO). That will probably be the reason for upgrading the consumer unit.

mitsumonkey
    Free Member

Sounds like a good price to me

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

You need a spare RCD slot.

You can buy the charge units themselves for about £400 and then pay an electrician on top for wiring etc etc.

I’ve decided for now just to have a normal 3 pin socket installed outside, which is costing about £70

Which companies have you quoted through just out of interest?

Rolec asked me to send pictures, and did all the quoting that way.

Oh and you are going for 32amp arnt you?

thatscold
    Free Member

It’s a Rolec installation. Yes 32amp for future proofing. Non tethered for the same reason.

The governent grant goes down after the end of February so the prices have risen slightly.

I’ve ordered a BMW 330e.

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

I’ve just ordered 330e too.

Have you had a delivery date? I’m struggling to get one, although I have been assured it is ordered

thatscold
    Free Member

I’ve been told June although the date hasn’t been confirmed. The lease company were suggesting BMW may ramp up production as they have been inundated with orders.

I’m looking forward to the tax saving, although I think I will miss the performance of my 330D..

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

I’ve been told early June too, however read an article saying BMW under estimated demand and delivery now 6-9 months

Performance wise I don’t think you will notice much difference at legal speeds, if anything the electric motor should make it more responsive than the 330d, I imagine the petrol engine won’t be as smooth as the 6 cylinder d

wobbliscott
    Free Member

Call your council, they might give you one for free. Last summer I was mowing the lawn, a guy came unto me and asked me if I wanted a free electric car charging point. I was instantly suspicious but after a few minutes of conversation he told me the council were giving every household one for free, so 30 minutes later one was installed in my garage. Not sure if this was a nationwide scheme or not but it’s worth an ask.

Inbred456
    Free Member

Regarding the 330e I take it the engine can charge the battery up when it’s flat because it’s range is only about 25 miles? I suppose that would probably be enough for most people.

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘Home car charging point – am I being conned?’ is closed to new replies.