Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Home brew ginger beer = ace
  • saladdodger
    Free Member

Just cracked a bottle of our home brew “coopers ginger beer” tis ace not as smooth as crabbies but more gingery

And it costs about 42pence a pint 😆 winner

sharkbait
    Free Member

Recipe please 🙂

sharkbait
    Free Member

Oops

Tom83

I like the coopers kits. I’m eyeing up the spanish beer one for my next kit.

ScottChegg
    Free Member

Plenty of recipes for ‘real’ ginger ale on the interwebs.

I remember making some as a teenager, and forgetting to release the gas for a few days.

Oops. Explosion-tastic.

saladdodger
    Free Member

Oh forgot to say I followed the instructions but use demera sugar instead this time

kaesae
    Free Member

Hahaha! Odd coincidence, I had some ginger beer yesterday 😯 williams from a bottle.

I really enjoyed it and was thinking about brewing some, do you use fresh ginger or powdered and how long does it take to brew?

Also I mixed mine with Kombucha Tea, you cannot imagine how good beer and Kombucha tea is 💡 😀

saladdodger
    Free Member

Kaesae

Coopers Ginger Beer is a kit which is available from homebrew shops and good old ebay
    Do not be put off by the concept of homebrewing is is easy

timbur
    Free Member

Fresh ginger, powdered ginger, black pepper and chilli here. I like mine with a bite!

khani
    Free Member

Just got a coopers green kit, what’s the best type of suger to use?
    1st attempt so I have no idea tbh,

kaesae
    Free Member

What percentage of alcohol is it? can you check the alcohol content some way?

Also what do I brew it in? can I use something that’s glass or stainless steel, I’m not too keen on plastic.

bawbag
    Free Member

You can use a hydrometer to take initial and final readings and calculate abv from it. I brewed some alcoholic ginger beer recently using this recipe and wile it’s very alcoholic it’s not sweet at all as I allowed all the sugar to turn to alcohol. I used champagne yeast instead of the beer yeast in the recipe.

Brew it in a big plastic bucket for a couple of weeks and transfer to bottles. I used plastic bottles and the pressure has caused them to distort. If you’re going to use glass be very careful.

john_drummer
    Free Member

the instructions will usually say what type of sugar they recommend; it’s not usually common or garden granulated. Usually “spraymalt” or “brew enhancer” from your local homebrew shop, although some kits need no extra sugar at all (e.g Brupaks, Woodfordes to name but 2)

bawbag, did you wait until fermentation had finished before you bottled it? shouldn’t distort the bottles under normal circumstances

bawbag
    Free Member

Yeah I checked that fermentation had stopped but there was an extra half-teaspoon of brewers sugar at the bottling stage. It’s certainly lively when you open it.

I’m thinking of mixing it with some Crabbies Ginger Wine for drinking as it’s quite bitter on its own.

john_drummer
    Free Member

1/2 tsp @ bottling is normal. What bottles did you use? I use Coopers 500ml PET bottles for beer & lager, they seem excellent so far, 24 bottles with screw caps for around a tenner

bawbag
    Free Member

those are the same ones I use. They have been fine for numerous beers but this ginger beer has ruined about half of them. Will pick up some more soon.

john_drummer
    Free Member

wow. Thanks for the heads up on that

5thElefant
    Free Member

Plenty of recipes for ‘real’ ginger ale on the interwebs.

I remember making some as a teenager, and forgetting to release the gas for a few days.

Oops. Explosion-tastic.
    My aunt lost a cat in a ginger beer related explosion.

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘Home brew ginger beer = ace’ is closed to new replies.