Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • home brew beer
  • jon1973
    Free Member

Is there any reason you can’t use screw cap wine bottles for your home brew?

peterfile
    Free Member

Wine bottles aren’t built to take the pressure which the beer would generate. bottle bombs!

anonymouse
    Free Member

No, but you’ll have big bottles and will have to adjust the sugar added to the bottle to reflect this.

john_drummer
    Free Member

I’d go with peterfile. Unless the wine bottles originally contained sparkling wine.

besides, beer is best kept in brown bottles to prevent it getting “lightstruck”, which can seriously affect the taste. Wine bottles are generally green or uncoloured.

If you want to use big bottles, I don’t know if cider still comes in screw cap brown bottles. If you can get PET bottles in brown (e.g. dandelion & burdock), they’d be more suitable.
    They’re designed to be carbonated and, being quite soft plastic, you can tell when they are carbonated as they’ll be firm to the touch.

I use at least one Coopers brown PET beer bottle in every batch of beer that I brew so I can tell when they’re carbonated & ready to move somewhere cooler for conditioning

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

The topic ‘home brew beer’ is closed to new replies.