Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • Holy grail of DIY – refrigerator shelf – glue, fabricate or ?
  • Malvern Rider
    Free Member

How to solve this problem over lunch?

Bottom shelf-thing on fridge door holds milk, beer, half-tins of heavy stuff. Slots on door sound. Ribs on shelf-thing borked/finally gave out. It shows evidence of prior unsuccesful fix with superglue (see pic, mystery glue-attempt as yet unsolved, but wife denies it)

Forgetting the tampering 😉 , concentrating on the job at hand – wwyd?

rossburton
    Free Member

Buy a replacement, if you’re lucky its still under warranty.

Malvern Rider
    Free Member

Fridge was a rescue/recycle/refurb from communal shed. No warranty. Probably 10 years old but it fits perfectly in an alcove and works. So repair/fabricate option only.

nickhit3
    Free Member

gaffer tape

Malvern Rider
    Free Member

^. Have gaffer tape. So:

1. Use it like this? And risk marital tension?

2. Gaffer tape the door shut and drink beer immediately so no requirement to refrigerate? This potentially leaves problems with salad, milk, leftovers, jam, and fresh dog food.

hot_fiat

I bet you can still get parts. I’ve a 15 year old Electra fridge in the garage that I can still get bits for. Particularly doors and shelves.

If not, get some proper polycarbonate cement. Clean all the surfaces first and make sure the shelf is hot when you apply it, perhaps heat it up with a hairdryer.

nickhit3
    Free Member

And risk marital tension

again, gaffer tape to the rescue.. just don’t cover the nostrils. I lost a couple like that.

joshvegas
    Free Member

New one machined out of aluminium

nickhit3
    Free Member

New one machined out of aluminium

if Hopetech did fridges.

kayak23

Sugru or epoxy putty such as Milliput.. Make new ribs innit.

siwhite
    Free Member

This is the perfect excuse to buy a 3D printer.

joshvegas
    Free Member

if Hopetech did fridges.

It woukd develop a fault but the aftermarket service would be amazeballs

Malvern Rider
    Free Member

Checked Model – Argos aieeeeeeee! Model ARGTM108

Google fu says not promising

Polycarbonate cement or Milliput are possible purchase options. Would milliput stick to the brittle perspexy drawer?

IHN

.. just don’t cover the nostrils. I lost a couple like that.

Very good 🙂

trail_rat
    Free Member

if Hopetech did fridges.
    It woukd develop a fault but the aftermarket service would be amazeballs

And if SRAM did it it would arrive broken and spares would be on back order for years

And if Shimano did it….it would work well till the warranty expires then parts would simply be unavailable 🙂 a

simon_g

I have some Tensol glue for acrylic that is nasty stuff but would probably work better than superglue. Or roughen up surfaces and epoxy.

Malvern Rider
    Free Member

Win to nickhit3. Minutes to spare.

F****** MINT!

*edit. …ISH 8)

I have some silver Unibond gaffer on standby if when She returns there is some minor disagreement on colour-scheme. Jobbed. Brexit-grade, admittedly. But Britain wasn’t built with bricks and steel alone. It takes nerve, tenacity, ingenuity and what we have to hand. (Swelling music, a single tear restrained). Thanks again, STW. One day aspire to 3D printer but tbh that will probably be after the woodburner purchase when hell freezes over so refrigeration no longer required.

ocrider

Ah, you missed a trick there. You can get white duct tape especially for domestic applications nowadays.

Malvern Rider
    Free Member

You can get white duct tape

GAME-CHANGER!

trail_rat
    Free Member

clear gorilla tape trumps it – my blenders bowls been held together with it for a long time including going through the dishwasher 😀

Malvern Rider
    Free Member

^ Too much. Many revelations in 24 hrs. Feeling giddy with possibilities

mrmonkfinger
    Free Member

Say WHAT?

My old life is over, I am reborn.

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)

The topic ‘Holy grail of DIY – refrigerator shelf – glue, fabricate or ?’ is closed to new replies.