• This topic has 108 replies, 64 voices, and was last updated 10 years ago by br.
Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 109 total)
  • Holocaust Awareness – is it just me or…
  • mrmonkfinger
    Free Member

They remember the past in ireland, the middle-east and the balkans (amongst others).

Which is why they still murder each other because of arguments their distant ancestors had.

Before every conflict is a peaceful time.

Shame they don’t remember that bit of the past.

imnotverygood

But what about the treatment of German POWs by the Americans?
    Approximately 1 million German POWs were killed by the Americans, but you never tend to hear about it. For a personal account, see http://www.rense.com/general19/diary.htm

The reason you haven’t heard of it is because the claims are made in a single book which whose thesis bears about a nanoseconds worth of scrutiny. One of the reasons to study history is to winnow out the contentious from the fictitious

johnellison
    Free Member

More directly linked, could events in Palestine be a direct result of the atrocities conducted throughout the holocaust, spread out over a far longer timescale?

Of course they are, how could they not be? Until 1948, the Jews were a stateless people. They had always claimed that God had given them Israel as their “promised land” so who better to wrest it from the Arabs and return it to them than the victors of WW2?

And that’s when the sh!t REALLY hit the fan…

mrmo
    Free Member

They remember the past in ireland, the middle-east and the balkans (amongst others).

Which is why they still murder each other because of arguments their distant ancestors had.

and how often is Crusader used by modern islamist groups…

pondo
    Free Member

I do find it slightly creepy that Mrs Pondo teaches kids now who are too young to remember 9/11, but that’s just kinda how time works.

Northwind

andrewh – Member

Another didn’t know who the Falklands war (another housemate and I were trying to remember ‘H’ Jones’ first name, she had no idea what we were on about)

Out of curiosity, I just asked my boss, who was on Hermes- he had no idea who H Jones was.

rogerthecat
    Free Member

Quite disturbing, repeating history’s mistakes would seem a likely result of being oblivious to major historical events such as the Holocaust. My lads have done the WWI Battlefields trip and the youngest is off to Poland in Feb to see the camps.

It’s not hard to be informed, the BBC History mag is a good, if not in depth, source of history which should be required reading for secondary school kids IMO.

thestabiliser
    Free Member

I didn’t do history GCSE but funnily enough have heard of the holocaust, blaming the teaching profession because people don’t know sh!te from shinola is a bit disingenuous to say the least. And re ireland, balkans etc there’s a difference between remembering and learning the lessons of.

Not really sure genocide should be treated as a p*ssing contest, but…

Think Stalin wins on body count

but the holocaust gets a gold star cos it’s about as near as anyone’s come in modern history to actually annihilating an entire people

The Americas – wasn’t necessarily a deliberate genocide, perpetrated by an individual/group, except the end of the 19th century in North America, maybe. Spaniards/Portugese were more into conquering and ruling, just managed to spread disease and cause death through displacement of peoples – just as despicable but different

I think people don’t know because they don’t want to know. Bit like the fact we piss about on the internet talking about bikes while people are starving to death/being murdered by tyrants, if we can dispell it to focus on somthing less challenging/ more palatable we will

MrNutt
    Free Member

he who dies with the most vegetables wins.

MrNutt
    Free Member

but the holocaust gets a gold star cos it’s about as near as anyone’s come in modern history to actually annihilating an entire people

I dunno, the British & Spanish made a good fist of it in the Americas

kudos100
    Free Member

This mate is 40 years old, reasonably intelligent, good job, nice house and car, married, and has a 12-year-old daughter.

This is the bit I would call into question. Plenty of muppets out there who have no idea about anything beyond their immediate circumstances, but someone who is reasonably intelligent will almost certainly have heard of the Holocaust.

bravohotel8er
    Free Member

MrNutt – Member

I dunno, the British & Spanish made a good fist of it in the Americas

Bizarrely, you seem to have forgotten the Americans, that is to say citizens of the the USA.

mrmo
    Free Member

I think people don’t know because they don’t want to know.

To a point, but you can’t find out about something unless you know where to start.

Was reading the other day about how the Australian government won’t recognise many of the deaths during the aboriginal wars on the national war memorial as they weren’t really wars as they weren’t overseas.

Similarly i am aware that there are claims that there are pre maori people in NZ.

And although i might be vaguely aware they don’t affect my life so why would i dig and understand the full picture?

Mind you i can tell you that the shield of Ajax as described by homer is out of time, by hundreds of years in comparison to the rest of the story.

MrNutt
    Free Member

Thats just name calling, they’re all ex brits, Irish or Spanish, mostly, in general, ish.

mrmo
    Free Member

Thats just name calling, they’re all ex brits, Irish or Spanish, mostly, in general, ish.

you missed the French from your list

bravohotel8er
    Free Member

MrNutt – Member

Posted 2 minutes ago # Report-Post

They weren’t Brits though, they were Americans and that was an American atrocity and nothing to do with us. It’s no more down to Britain than the moon landing, Disneyland or raspberry frosted Pop Tarts.

MrNutt
    Free Member

And the French, although their couple of little outposts hardly count, and there’s no such thing as an American as a race, they’re a mongrel breed. 😉

konabunny
    Free Member

That just shows you know a little history but even less economics. All of those conflicts are thoroughly modern (assuming you mean Israel and Palestine by “the Middle East”) with their causes in mundane disputes over jobs, housing and markets in the 20th century.

aracer
    Free Member

I’ve checked and Schindler’s List was ’93, which makes him about 20 when it came out, surely the age at which most people are watching films so quite likely to have seen a film which got loads of Oscars (personally I reckon I’ve seen it at least 3 times, and I’m not a big film buff) – you’d think at the very least he would have heard of it. Or do people think that’s all made up? I think my first question would have been whether he’d seen that.

thestabiliser
    Free Member

mr mo – i bet the OPs mate had heard of WW2 hows that for a place to start digging?

you don’t need to know everything about everything, no one does. but understanding something of the majorevents in human history might give someone a valuable insight in to human nature, their own cultural context and some of the reasons for modern conflicts, politics, points of view etc. This just might be relevant to them and way they choose to conduct their life, mais non?

mogrim

Can’t remember ever learning about the Holocaust at school, although I suppose it must have been mentioned at some point.

In much the same way that you never hear about the pogroms in the Soviet Union both before and after the Second World War, or the treatment of German PoWs by Soviet authorities. Or, if we want to be really damning, the treatment of the German people by their own government from 1933 to 1945.

Not forgetting that the Americans and British came up with the idea of concentration camps as we know them, in the Civil War and Boer War respectively. Try Googling “Andersonville

None of that is exactly covered up, and Stalin’s pogroms are frequently mentioned – just get into any who’s-the-nastiest atheist vs christian conversation… Agreed they don’t get as much publicity as the Holocaust, though.

Not sure who mentioned the Great (Potato) Famine in Ireland – I don’t think that should be on the list. There was no intentional killing of a people, rather an ineffectual government letting ideology get in the way of an effective response.

natrix
    Free Member

the claims are made in a single book

Not quite true, as you can see I linked to different source………..

atlaz
    Free Member

but 1 million Germans pows

As imnotverygood said, it’s because it’s untrue. Yes, far more died post-war than was reasonable but there were SO many men under arms and so many important people hiding as low-ranking soldiers (Himmler for example) that it was important to keep them contained until they could be processed. Additionally, I think a lot of allied soldiers had little interest in being nice to the defeated army; my dad’s uncle said his front-line British unit took two prisoners in the entire war, and his fight started in 1940 and went through to 1945.

In any case, currently the estimates are from 500000 to 1000000 deaths in total over the entire war with the lions share dying in Soviet hands.

edlong
    Free Member

Not sure who mentioned the Great (Potato) Famine in Ireland

That was me. Not really the space here to get properly into the history and causes debate, and isn’t that usually the case with history – it’s so inconveniently complex? Perhaps that’s one reason why the nazi holocaust gets the higher awareness, there’s such a simple narrative for people to follow…

Anyway, without getting into it in too much depth, my reasons for citing it (the Irish famine) stem from: 1 million dead (reasonably rigorous estimates by proper statistical types) when there was more than enough food being produced to feed everyone, but a lot of it was being exported. I do agree that it is debateable as to causes and culpability, but I’m calling genocide on the basis of the result.

But just in terms of culpability (and this applies to other ones, including that 1940s german thing), to what extent does culpability extend not just to those who perpetrate, but also to those who could have intervened, but stood by and allowed the horror?

Cougar

I was concerned that I wouldn’t have anything constructive to add to this discussion, but having read it through I’m surprised to find that I can.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Howard_Jones_%28musician%29

You’re welcome.

mrmo
    Free Member

mr mo – i bet the OPs mate had heard of WW2 hows that for a place to start digging?

but is ww2 a war between germany and britain, end of story, or do you carry on, Burma railways, Pearl Habour, Hiroshima, Jews, Gypsies, Catholics, (remember the final solution wasn’t just Jews), and if you start digging who do you believe? There are the denialists for a start.

then is the real war the one fought by the soviets on the eastern front or the one we know fought on the western front.

What about the french resistance, or the Vichy, how about the Jews such as Joseph Mengels who worked for the Nazis?

Cougar

There’s a large difference between an adult not knowing about something, and not having heard of it at all. Someone not knowing finer details about what happened during the Holocaust isn’t all that surprising; I can readily see how it might not be the most engaging of subjects for some people. But having never heard of it at all, that’s pretty bizarre I think.

gwaelod
    Free Member

gonefishin – Member

…I were trying to remember ‘H’ Jones’ first name, she had no idea what we were on about

Errr I’ve no idea who you are on about. Did you mean Herbert Jones? I googled the name and this is the first one that came up. In the grand scheme of world history the Falklands was a fairly minor skirmish.

as a purely military engagement…possibly….but without the Falklands war Thatcher would have been a one term PM who dissappeared from view after achieving almost nothing…..because of the falklands the entire world changed….privatisation, deregulation of the banking sector these are now major global themes everywhere that came about because of Thatcher’s survival as PM.

I contend that the Falklands was a very important event globally

marcus7
    Free Member

Well thats what i thought, I know the approximate sizes of the german army at the begining and end of the war and also that the bulk of the German divisions were fighting the Soviet forces so i couldnt work out where all the prisoners actually came from (even counting non Germans serving in the German army). I’m not saying that war crimes by the allies never happened but as the Germans found out themselves the sheer logistics of covering up such a crime takes industrial planning and setting up and even then you probably wont get away with it (i accept that the allies won btw and thus could influence the history as it were).

marcus7
    Free Member

Oh and back on topic, my MIL claims to have never heard of the Titanic until very recently!

gwaelod
    Free Member

Anyway, without getting into it in too much depth, my reasons for citing it (the Irish famine) stem from: 1 million dead (reasonably rigorous estimates by proper statistical types) when there was more than enough food being produced to feed everyone, but a lot of it was being exported. I do agree that it is debateable as to causes and culpability, but I’m calling genocide on the basis of the result.

But just in terms of culpability (and this applies to other ones, including that 1940s german thing), to what extent does culpability extend not just to those who perpetrate, but also to those who could have intervened, but stood by and allowed the horror?

Similarly the genocides perpetrated against native peoples of North America and Australia tend to get short shrift in UK school curricula. Teaching about these seem to be associated (as does Irish Famine) with a “political” viewpoint, in a way that the Holocaust doesn’t.

gwaelod
    Free Member

marcus7 – Member

Oh and back on topic, my MIL claims to have never heard of the Titanic until very recently!

To be fair to your MIL..I’ve seen the film and I’ve tried hard to forget it.

….the hot dogs go on

imnotverygood

I met someone who had heard of the Titanic, but thought the bit about the iceberg was invented by James Cameron 😕

ji
    Free Member

I knew about Colonel H Jones, but probably because I met Chris Keeble, who was fascinating to talk to…

weare138
    Free Member

In remember doing the Diat of Wurms in history at school, lots of medieval stuff and then doing the Marshall Plan in European Studies at the height of he Cold War so had no exposure to the holocaust in school.

yunki
    Free Member

absolute unutterable BS

the bloke is having some sort of joke at your expense that went over your head

oliverd1981
    Free Member

As a geographer I didn’t do much history at school either, but we did watch Schindlers List nearly every time is rained. Maybe he had a run of lucky weather or a school with an all-weather pitch?

On the other hand I’m not sure if many under sixteens are really ready to comprehend the evil it takes to design, build and operate an industrial process for genocide

jambalaya
    Free Member

OP you might want to sure to direct him to Simon Sharnas series now on bbc2, whilst not explicitly on the holocaust the last episode covered a few issues.

It is scary how some people seem so ignorant of such important events, I suppose that’s how evil prospers anew.

The Holocaust education work of the UN is quite broad and recognises there have been many examples of genoside.

sweepy
    Free Member

the Three Years Difficult Period (estimates range 15mil – 45mil deaths) in China.

Well they win the prize for understatement at any rate.

aracer
    Free Member

As a geographer I didn’t do much history at school either, but we did watch Schindlers List nearly every time is rained. Maybe he had a run of lucky weather or a school with an all-weather pitch?

As pointed out above, if he’s 40 now then he’d have had to be very special to have watched SL at school. I presume you’re in your mid 30s?

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 109 total)

The topic ‘Holocaust Awareness – is it just me or…’ is closed to new replies.