Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Holmfirth route suggestion sought.
  • dangeourbrain
    Free Member

I’ve cause to need to be in hade edge this weekend, I’m hoping to get a bit of a ride in too and realistically that’s going to mean getting to hade edge on the bike. Do-able on road but I’d rather not so planning to get mrs brain to drop me on the way. Hopefully folks can suggest either a route or bits to stitch together that will make for a decent mtb route. Constraints as follows:

Ideally around the 20mi mark
    End in hade edge roughly
    Starting somewhere easily accessible from the m1/m62 so. Anywhere in an arc from pennistone direction to slaithwaite direction.
    Relatively easy to navigate (needs to be on a map and on the ground).

Ideally either a full route suggestion or “try the bridleway from se 089 130 to se 090 120, best ridden South bound” would be awesome

Thanks for any help.

woody2000

Holme Valley challenge ride starts/finishes in Hade Edge, there are some GPX files/route details on their website

http://www.bikechallenge.co.uk/

dangeourbrain
    Free Member

Grand ta, looks like a good start.

munrobiker
    Free Member

Riding from Penistone to Holmfirth would be miles of drudge, then a bit of good at the end. Slaithwaite to Holmfirth would be OK, though – a bit bogtrotty but good. It’d be better if you can just ride from Hade Edge.

This is a good one from Hade Edge – much more exciting than the bike challenge route but it does have quite an amount of footpath in it. It’s all fair game around there, though.

Slaithwaite to Hade Edge would go something like this, again a lot of acceptable footpath (or not path at all) but much more fun than the bike challenge-

I’ve got GPXs of these two, let me know if you want them.

dangeourbrain
    Free Member

I’ll drop you a message munro, I’d rather avoid starting at hade edge if I can largely as the chances of me getting away with it diminish rapidly the closer i get to the in-laws, a ride to their house and being late is acceptable, getting there then running away less so… If the little people see me i have zero chance and will be required to play power rangers or some such in place (likely play mine craft, which it turns out requires me to stare at a screen, and say/do nothing but it very definitely requires my presence and is quite upsetting if i move so is exactly like work it turns out.) I’m rather hoping if I turn up on the bike I may coax them out on theirs for a little bit, chances are slim mind unless they can pilot by tablet.

scuttler

Starting at Shepley / Sovereign Cross Roads (popular M1/M62 cut through / intersection) you could do a 15-20 miler that finished in Hade Edge. The more fun, the trickier the navigation but I could generate a KML from walkhighlands.co.uk if that would help. Munro’s route from Colne Valley also sensible.

dangeourbrain
    Free Member

Looking at Munro’s Slaithwaite route i think I’m going to give that a try – If i offer to drive home might even manage to get dropped at j22 but it’s a fair bit further out of the way. I’ve done a nice track over the top there which comes out near/in meltham once which would tie in nicely.

If it’s not a huge bind a shepley one would be good as an option too (it’s not an uncommon trip so alternatives are always good).

Ta much

beagle
    Free Member

Watch out for out of control pianos/sofas in them holmfirth hills 😛

MadBillMcMad

@munrobiker – interesting that bit around Binn Moor.

I passed that way a few months back with this little jaunt. Took the train to Edale & then rode home – a fabulous day out.

munrobiker
    Free Member

Bill – it’s a nice bit of trail to get some extra enjoyment out of the hillside in that direction. The alternative is riding up Wessenden which is all uphill, no traversing.

Your route looks pretty meaty. The west side of that valley is a good way to get across to the top behind Marsden, eventually going along the footpath that makes up the Pennine Way, which is how I’d recommend Dangeorbrain do it starting from above Marsden to extend the ride.

dangeourbrain
    Free Member

That’s a fair old ride there Bill, oddly viewranger adds another 600m of climbing to the figure on gpsies for some reason, i think I’ll likely get shot if i go for a 100k “quick ride” on the way though.

jonnyrockymountain

A few routes below pal might help, most of them come out of Marsden up wessy, then head over to Holmfirth/hade edge way (especially the last route

https://www.strava.com/activities/1188457759

https://www.strava.com/activities/557511836

https://www.strava.com/activities/314949392

https://www.strava.com/activities/869730901

dangeourbrain
    Free Member

Excellent thank you all

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Holmfirth route suggestion sought.’ is closed to new replies.