Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 30 total)
  • Holmbury Hill Peeps anyone around to show me your local trails today!
  • postierich
    Free Member

Hi guys/girls staying in Forest Green and planning on a ride up around 11am anyone around to show me your good stuff!

Rich

jambalaya
    Free Member

There are more trails on Pitch Hill than Holmbury. A few thoughts

Barry Knows Best is off Radnor Road climb on Holmbury – turn right off road opposite metal gate on left. If you climb to top (through gate) then a few options off the top, best known is Yogurt Pots which starts about 100m off path “behind you” if you are looking at view

Pitch .. two ways to climb, either up small tarmac path by church or directly out of walking bottom car park. Lots of trails dotted around .. if church climb you’ll come to an open area where tracks cross and there is a trail heading back down which starts from where a few tracks meet. Further up you’ll come to a gravel cross roads, trails off both left amd right turns. All the way to the top (two tops really one with trig point) a few steeper options here. Note there is a good trail which finishes just near walking bottom car park (rhs if climbing out) – it starts off road higher up – could search for it or try road climb

Will try and send you a gpx you can load into ViewRanger etc although note phone reception is so so up there.

You can try asking in Pedal and Spoke. Nirvana in Westcott have a shop ride Wed at 12

mbnutter
    Free Member

Bugger, would normally be up for this (not local but know the area) but on airport run duties today.

Do you have a GPX if no joy with a guide?

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

Possibly Rich but not at 11:00 as several jobs to do first.

Weather permitting, I was thinking about heading that way for a quick blast around. Will get jobs done now and then repost. You may be sortd by then.

If I can make it, it would be more like 12:00

What sort or rider are you (I am ok, but not that brave!)

postierich
    Free Member

12 will be cool will hang around the highest point will have a mooch around 🙂
    On my SS and still struggling with busted ribs so up for a ride but nowt manic
    Will shout you a beer or coffee and cake
    07966914696 if you need to call

jambalaya
    Free Member

Postie there is more than one top 😉 Holmbury with the small stone seat is a good place to wait and you could lap Yogurt Pots/Barry for a bit first. TMH could park at top of Holmbury. As I said phones may not work.

My easily accessible GPX are not useful sorry

jambalaya
    Free Member

Maybe this helps ? As you look at this Holmbury on right, Pitch to left. Black climb up Radnor road with Barry cutting off half way up. Red loop at top is Yogurt Pots. Peaslake is at bus shelter on little roubdabout by shop

postierich
    Free Member

unable to load GPX as I,ve not brought my Garmin Lead 🙁
    Will be riding to Holmbury which is the best cafe/pub nearby for refreshments

jambalaya
    Free Member

Closet up – in blue – basic fun trails worth riding twice imo

Climb to top Yog Pots twice, at top facing view take right hand trail past little pond to car cark – accross car park exit via trail in right hand corner – when hitting main track up probably easier to gonstraight doen (blue track goes into woods) and then Barry off Radnor. Or wait at top after Yogurt for TMH to shiw you down and over to Pitch

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

Rich, jobs done. I will be in Walking Bottom CP in Peaslake bwteeen 11:15 and 11:30. The village store is good for refreshments but not before climb up H Hill 😉

I will ride up Holmbury first on a bright camber evo but mainly black riding stuff by the side of BKB (not the road) and will make my way up to the trig point at the top. I may see you in CP or in Peaslake or on the hill.

Hope it’s not too muddy and that I am good enough to show you around!

jambalaya
    Free Member

Sorry not to be around would have been good to meet. Good luck with bikepack event. Colorado Trail Race video was excellent

jambalaya
    Free Member

Postie – Waling Bottom is name of road leaving Peaslake Village past Village Hall. Car Park about 100m up road. Ask in Bike Shop – Pedal and Spoke if needed

tuskaloosa
    Free Member

Rich, was going to suggest using trail forks as it will give you a fair sprinkling of trails but I see THM has sorted you out.

enjoy gents.

THM everything was drying out nicely a few wet spots here and there.

postierich
    Free Member

I’m knackered already on top of the trig point will wait here 🙂

postierich
    Free Member

I’m knackered already on top of the trig point will wait here 🙂

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

Setting off from bottom now. Will be about 20 mins or so and tires when I get there!!!

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

Bllx forgot my helmet. Never mind!

tuskaloosa
    Free Member

Off the trig point to the left there’s a bridle path, on the right just before the wooden bar you will see a trail – never know the name of that one when you get to the bottom you can take the road back up

postierich
    Free Member

Busted sprocket meant a freewheel back to pick up another bike soz teamhurtnomore back on the trails now feeling my way round just done Barry knows best how smooth!!!!!

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

Yes, the shortest meet up ever – 2 minutes!

T’was a pleasure Rich

(Bad luck BTW 🙂 )

This is what you missed: Youghurt Pots, Crackpipe, Tel Road, Ditch it, I should coco, BKB – pork and leek slice and a cuppa (only one left so that was ok) – up Pitch for Fork Right, a very wet Captain Clunk, Proper Bo, the one whose name I always forget and the down the Graveyard.

I was going to have a quick spin over towards Evian but was feeling a bit tired and nervous without a helmet!

having said, bloody great to ride without a helmet occasionally – love it – and even cleared my one bogey jump without thinking about it.

Next time Rich and enjoy the party!! And I hope you found some routes later!!!

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

Conditions very mixed – Yog pots, DI, Coco, Barry’s, Proper Bo – dry as a bone (mostly); Crackpipe wet a top and bottom but great in the middle, Clunk yuk at the top, ok in middl and bottom but probably best left alone to dry, Fork Right average and graveyard drop as per- just the final puddle but looks like the new route (earlier fork before gyard) is seeing more use.)

Lovely a quiet up there

tuskaloosa
    Free Member

THM which one is Ditch it? Looks like the dry spell is short lived though.

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

I found it by chance and its short . On the way back up from Youth Hostel you come to the first big X-roads. It’s just there in the RHS looking up hill and N of the X-road. It’s has a little jump on the way in and then a simple yet pleasant traverse/descent to fire road. I normally take a hidden trail much further up on the LHS (level with secret squirrel but opposite direction) that is very narrow with little drops and jumps in the heather but felt like a change. They both come out on the same fire road.

I didnt include a few other trails that I did just toe xplore all down below bambis legs. I had also forgotten that its much quicker climbing back to the reservoir if you go futther across.

So despite not being able to ride with rich, I did find some new trails and had a good ride alone.

tuskaloosa
    Free Member

you aren’t referring to Surfer Rosa or an offshoot of that are you by any chance?

jambalaya
    Free Member

^^ showing your age tuska, Golden Birdies, Parklife etc 😉 (I don’t think so btw)

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

Don’t think so. TBH, I was just riding up from the YH after T Road and decided to check Strava to see if my normal hidden trail was recorded and had a name, and it just happend that I was right next to the start of Ditch It. I must have ridden past it loads of times and because it’s a small entrance in the middle of a big X roads (?) it’s easy to miss.

Amusingly, at the very bottom, someone has put some logs to form a little bridge onto the fire road. With no helmet on, I decided that they were a bit greasy and that it would be prudent to walk over them. Sods law I fell straight over but fortunately only bruised my pride!!! 😳

postierich
    Free Member

Managed 30 miles in total and 3000ft so I,m happy and found all the trails did most of them twice. There were trails going off all over the place followed some but it was obvious you were supposed to come down them.
    Sausage roll and a brew @ Peaslake shop.
    Good day except for the borked rear cog 😀

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

Glad you got sorted in the end and had a good day.

Shame that we missed the ride – another day, perhaps in the Lakes!

How did you find the soft Southerners play ground?!? 😉

(preempt answer by saying that you were on the easiest hill of the four! Not that this is a bad thing)

postierich
    Free Member

It was fine on the rigid retro single speed loved the telegraph trail bottom bit hardly had to peddle 🙂
    https://www.relive.cc/view/874697332

[url=https://flic.kr/p/RKBLns]Untitled[/url] by Richard Munro, on Flickr
    [url=https://flic.kr/p/S6BtYY]Untitled[/url] by Richard Munro, on Flickr
    [url=https://flic.kr/p/S9cPiP]Untitled[/url] by Richard Munro, on Flickr

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

One nice little step at the end, to check that you are still concentrating!

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 30 total)

The topic ‘Holmbury Hill Peeps anyone around to show me your local trails today!’ is closed to new replies.