Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Hollowtech 2 (FC 6700-Ultegra) crank removal
  • plop_pants
    Free Member

Well I've got the left hand crank off easy enough. To get the right hand crank out is it just a case of gently tapping the end of the axle to get the whole assembly out?

DezB
    Free Member

Gently. Or hard. whatever it takes 🙂

ourmaninthenorth

Yes. If you're feeling dextrous, tap with one hand and pull with the other.

foxyrider
    Free Member

just use a block of wood on the end so you don't deform the axle and give it a wack 🙂

Mister-P
    Free Member

Rubber mallet is my weapon of choice.

wwaswas

"give it a wack"

then pick up a RH crank arm with a bent chainring off the floor when it comes out easier than you expected…

njee20
    Free Member

At least you've got that far! The Dura Ace one in my Madone has been in there so long that the end cap's seized solid won't move! Any tips for that…

westkipper
    Free Member

You could just give it a good blow with the palm of your hand… and be left with a cool-looking circular black tattoo for the rest of the day… 😉

foxyrider
    Free Member

then pick up a RH crank arm with a bent chainring off the floor when it comes out easier than you expected…

Well if the chain is still on then the chain will bend and keep the crank on 😉 Then dump the chain – I don't think I have ever wacked a crank over the other side of the garage paersonally 😉

plop_pants
    Free Member

Well the rubber hammer worked! Now I've got to get the push fit bearing races out. More whacking I reckon. Or is there a proper way?

wwaswas

you need to wack a bit harder then foxyrider!

foxyrider
    Free Member

coatesy
    Free Member

njee, you have loosened the clamp bolts first, have you?

njee20
    Free Member

Indeed I have! Guess it's the downside of the end cap being metal on the Dura Ace ones!

DezB
    Free Member

and that's the downside of spending too much money on yer road bike 😉

coatesy
    Free Member

Haven't got a HT11 to try here, but possible that one of the four or five Hope Mono bore cap tools may fit, a bit stronger than Shimano's tool and able to take a tommy-bar.

schmiken

njee, get yourself one of these, they're ace. You can put a spanner on the end to get Dura Ace/Ultegra end caps off.

Mister-P
    Free Member

Did you whack it in dry Nick? You can use a large chisel to remove it but you will need a new end cap afterwards.

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘Hollowtech 2 (FC 6700-Ultegra) crank removal’ is closed to new replies.