Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Holidays in the forest of dean?? August.
  • quintet100
    Free Member

Hi
    Im looking for something different this year for a holiday.
    Thought about Forest of dean.
    Plenty of cycling, canoeing.
    Where to stay?
    Never been before any ideas?
    Thanks in advance.

quintet100
    Free Member

Thanks mr whoppit.
    I’ll look into it.
    Anymore??

JEngledow
    Free Member

We stayed in the FOD Forest Holidays Cabin a few years ago and it was really nice, although we were there mid week in December (so a lot cheaper than August and no grotty kids about!!).

bigh
    Free Member

Ross On Wye is 20 mins away, so is Monmouth, masses to choose from. Whats the budget like ?

If you want luxury Wharton Lodge

wrightyson
    Free Member

We stayed in painswick for a week last August. Beautiful little place. Travelled to FOD twice which is 30 mins in the car fully loaded with bikes. Kids loved the trails! Also close by is Cheltenham lido, which on the sunny day we chose was absolutely brilliant.

quintet100
    Free Member

Thanks for all your info,
    Should state:
    Kids will be going, 2 off plus wife.
    Budget, as cheap as possible.
    Just fed up with abroad beech holidays, fancy a bit of adventure.
    We are keen cyclists.

bigh
    Free Member

Shameless plug for a friend in case you come here
    lasertag and maze

FYI Monmouth has a small cinema if you stay there.
    FoD has a Go Ape.
    As wrightyson says Cheltenham and Cotswolds are close so don’t forget those as you search for accomodation.
    You know what, Ive forgotten how blummin great this area is 🙂

ransos
    Free Member

We’re staying here in May: http://retreats.csmaclub.co.uk/holidayparks/whitemead/index.php

If you remind me then I’ll tell you what it was like. I can see from the map that there is an off-road path to the Pedalabikeaway cycle centre, and then dedicated MTB/ family trails, so should be good.

quintet100
    Free Member

Thanks chaps

oldfart

Next to Whitemead is a pub/b&b they also have bunkhouse accommodation . Grubs good as the beer decors a bit “dated” but it’s clean enough . You can ride to the trails straight from the door along the family trail . Leave it with me I’ll find the name .

oldfart

It’s The Fountain at Parkend nothing fancy but ideal for MTBers !

Dr_Bakes

We’ve stayed at Whitemead a couple of times. It’s slightly tired but great for families and ideal for evening spins out into the forest for me before the wife and I sat down for dinner. The awesome Dowies trails are a few minutes up the road. Whitemead follows a centre parks style setup, with a pool and leisure centre, organised kids activities, shop/restaurant etc. The great part for us is the location with the steam railway round the corner and all of the Forest activities a short drive away. Perrygrove railway, Puzzlewood and Forest of Dean Heritage Centre and the Symonds Yat Butterfly centre are all possible family destinations to pad out rides and walks in the forest.

The pub round the corner is the Fountain Inn – friendly, and good for a no-nonsense meal if you can’t be bothered to cook.

I love the place and we’ll be heading back there this summer….again!

mattsccm
    Free Member

From Whitemead its just a road crossing to the cycle track. you can get a few miles of gravel and mud without crossing the road.Bit holiday park like for me but I am virtually the next house up through the wood. don’t forget cycle hire place and café a few hundred yards from Parkend x roads. Stacks of camp sites about and B&B’s. Fountain has bunk house thingy , no idea how it works. Plenty to do if wet, 2 minesfor example. Several small cinemas etc.

ransos
    Free Member

One point to remember, which may be good or bad: I had no mobile signal at all anywhere in that area.

JulianA
    Free Member

Good luck with the web footed folk. It’s nice, but I’d be off to Northern France if I were you!

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘Holidays in the forest of dean?? August.’ is closed to new replies.