Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • Holidaying in Thailand?
  • votchy
    Free Member

We are looking at going to Thailand this year as a family even though kids are both adults (18 and 20). Anyone that has been got any advice or recommendations? Things to see/do, places to go, food to try/avoid etc. we are not looking to spend more than 1 day (less if possible) at a beach, want to experience as much as we can in 2 weeks. Also, any tour/travel companies that are good or should be avoided as there seems to be quite a range.
    Currently we are looking at Bangkok, Elephant nature Camp, River Kwai bridge, Hill tribe experience, chiang mai, erewan national park.

dangeourbrain
    Free Member

Be careful of poo flinging Americans in the airport.

howsyourdad1
    Free Member

I go back just to eat. Best food on the planet IMHO

chestrockwell

Go to the floating market in Ratchaburi (James Bond style), if you’re going to Kanchanaburi (River Kwai) head up to see Hell Fire Pass as the visitor centre is good and the Pass itself thought provoking. If you’re going to the beach head to Koh Samed via a speed boat at Chon Buri. Oh, and check out Chatuchak market at the top of the Sky Train route.

Thailand is ace.

legend
    Free Member

Bank **** is an awesome culture shock when you’re straight off the plane. Good for a few days.

Then heading North to Chiang Mai really worked for us, amazing place, great food and lots to see and do (including riding if you want)

We finished with a few days in Koh Samui (just to make sure we caught some good weather as we were there mid summer). It was very meh. Great hotel but could’ve been dropped anywhere in the world

dufresneorama
    Free Member

I go back just to eat. Best food on the planet IMHO

Exactly this! I recommend eating anything and everything! Bangkok is massive android you’ll never run out of things to do there. We always start with a few days there, then off to explore the country then back to Bangkok at the the end for another few nights.
    Chiang Mai is nice, bit cooler and access to jungles etc.
    Koh Tau or Koh Lanta for beach resorts. ‘same same but different’ 40 shops in a row sell the same shit, 40 beachfront restaurants in a row have same menu. But there are still gems to be found, if the locals eat there… So should you. But bring immodium

nickjb
    Free Member

Its a great place. Don’t right off the beaches. Yes spending all day sunbathing would be dull and a waste (although each to there own) but there is some great kayaking and snorkelling. Its easy to hire kit for both. Also food boats rock up on some of the beaches at lunchtime. Plus some great walking/scrambling in the coastal rocks

Jungle is great too. We had a couple of nights at an elephant sanctuary. Great experience standing on an elephants back giving it a scrub with a broom while it lay in a river. Some top biking there too. Uplift by taxi them bomb down through the jungle. You need a guide though. Recommend X Biking in Chiang Mai

No need for a travel company. Its easy to arrange stuff there and book hotels via booking.com or similar.

zippykona

We need excellent shore snorkelling,fantastic food,amazing hotel and not too crowded.
    Where should we look?

johndoh
    Free Member

Be careful of poo flinging Americans in the airport.

Yeah I have just seen that report. Funny as **** 🙂

makecoldplayhistory
    Free Member

Be more specific and I’ll be happy to help. I’ve lived here for 5 years (Phuket) and we like to travel / road trip as much as we can.

The road trip (self-planned tours) obviously take a little more planning but we’ve loved ours around Esan, Chain Mai, Chang Rai and driving from Phuket to Bangkok.

We’re headed to Erewan in Feb. I can find out from my chief holiday planner exactly where we’re going. She’s bloody brilliant at it all.

I would say that I’ve become a bit of a hippy here. I would go (back) to see the hill tribes but not to most elephant attractions. Whilst I loved Seaworld a few years ago, I’ve had my eyes opened a bit wrt the exploitation.

Yes, the food is great. We had 3 weeks in the UK over Christmas and I missed Thai food.

If you’re passing through Phuket I’m happy to lend you a bike. Great riding as long as you don’t mind the odd cobra!

votchy
    Free Member

mcph – cannot be more specific as this wil be our first time and there seems so much to do we are looking for any help we can get. Thanks for the offer of a bike but as I am the only one that rides I may have to give that a miss. I too worry about exploitation but the elephant park we are considering is a sanctuary where you interact with the elephants (feed, wash etc) but they are not performers.

makecoldplayhistory
    Free Member

Feel free to email me.

makecold … @gmail.com

Got lots of tips for different areas and if there’s anywhere you have thought about I’ve no doubt friends of mine will have been even if we haven’t.

Chang Rai / Mai are great. Esan is too. My main advice on what you have said is don’t plan on too much time in BK. Not worth it. You can see 90%% of what you want in two long-full days.

maxtorque

Massive shameless plug for this small guest house in Chang Mai:

baan orapin in Chang Mai

An oasis of calm, super chilled out, but literally 20 yards away from the crazy bustle and tussle of the city. Feels like you’re staying with friends rather than at a hotel somehow, we stayed for a week and used it as the base for exploring the region. Highly recommended!

Trip Advisor reviews: Bann Orapin on Trip Advisor

ricardo666
    Free Member

I used a company called Grasshopper Adventures. Amazing place, the food is fantastic, I went in August, torrential downpours about teatime every night.

csb

You’d be missing a trick if you dismissed the beaches from your holiday, some of them are wonderful. Food aside, there are better places to go if you really are adamant on avoiding beaches. Malaysia would be a good start, and their food is also amazing. Easy to travel across to there from Thailand too.

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

I go back just to eat. Best food on the planet IMHO.

But bring immodium

Err but, but err, errr what…but..but…

(I could say the same about Goa mind)

ajantom

Malaysia would be a good start

Yup, the Kota Bharu night market. Amazing food! Just over the SE border from Thailand and a jumping off point for the Perentian Islands – best, most chilled out beaches in the region.

Tom_W1987
    Free Member

Philippine/Palawan beaches are the best in the region, by a country mile.

The food on the whole, is shit though.

rmgvtec
    Free Member

Immomdium, buy it there its unreal stuff.

Chiang Mai is awesome. Hire a car and take 4 days to do the Mae Hon Son loop. Single favourite part of travelling Thailand

ajantom

. Hire a car and take 4 days to do the Mae Hon Son loop

This ^ definitely worth doing. We hired a 4×4, took a few extra days and tried outxa few dirt roads up in the mountains.

On the other hand don’t pick up a random Scottish traveler on the first night, who then did spends the rest of the trip trying to score opium off the locals. Sketchy doesn’t cover it 😆

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

The topic ‘Holidaying in Thailand?’ is closed to new replies.