Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • holiday time again – tell me about olu deniz please
  • sadexpunk

our holidays imminent, so time to start looking at whats there.

where to eat, beaches to go to, trips to go on etc etc…..i think our hotel has a particular section of the lagoon, with a free bus, but dont know whether thats a con until we get there (cynical? me?)

places to visit, avoid, any advice at all really from your experiences there.

thanks 🙂

russ295
    Free Member

I’ve only visited it for a day. The lagoon is beautiful, hired a twin canoe and paddled right around it with my daughter. Turtles swimming around us. Nice quiet private beaches.
    Didn’t really venture in to the main part but if I ever head back to turkey, it would be oludeniz

Riksbar

Buzz Bar on the beach is one of my favourite bars in the entire world, great drinks, food, music, mood and views. Paragliding is a big thing there, look at doing a flight off Babadag and watch out for flyers landing on the beach. Very relaxed place overall but I’ve only been in October for the air games.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    richteabiscuit
    Free Member

Went for a week few years ago and loved the place. Very beautiful part of Turkey. Spent most mornings doing some activity, loved getting into the hills on horseback, quadbiking up the coast for a swim and paragliding.. you must do this, the view and flight is stunning!
    Second Buzz bar, sunset here is another must. Get the bus to Fetihye and wander round the market. Lots to do, I’d return in a heartbeat. Enjoy.

ThePilot
    Free Member

Depends what you are looking for.
    Geographically it’s beautiful but it was all a bit too ‘Turkish Benidorm’ for me. Karaoke bars on every corner, poor-to-average restaurants, busy beaches, lots of ‘Jeremy Kyle’ types. It was about five years ago and maybe it’s changed, or maybe I was unlucky, or maybe I went to the wrong places, but I definitely wouldn’t recommend it.
    Kas, further down the coast, was much nicer. I went there about 10 years ago now though so it’s probably a lot more busy these days.

crazant
    Free Member

If you want somewhere quiet out of Olu for an afternoon/evening get up the Sundial hotel in Fethiye , it’s a lovely hotel which has the best view of Fethiye ever , get there at lunch and as long as you spend a few quid they don’t mind you using the pool and the sunbeds etc , take a change of clothes then get changed for the evening meal, they put all the tables out on the grass and you can watch the best sunset while eating your meal….it’s lovely

sadexpunk

thanks chaps, looks like the missus has done us proud this year then. she’s been in the naughty corner since booking us to marmaris last year 😀

some good suggestions there including fethiye, we’ll be taking you all up on them.

cheers

ThePilot
    Free Member

Oh sorry, I didn’t know you’d booked, OP.
    From the rest of the comments, it looks like i just got unlucky and went to the wrong places.
    Enjoy!

senorj

We went 15 years ago , the buzz bar was ace then too. 😀
    Apparently it has grown/modernised , like everywhere, but the bay is a lovely place to be. I spent ages jumping of the rocks like a boy…
    The paragliding is to be recommended – you’ll definitley jump , anything to avoid the jeep ride down the mountain.
    The minbus to Fethiye is cheap and it’s a great place to hang out in the evenings.

wallop

Try and get here if you can for dinner – if you give them a ring they’ll pick you up and drop you back to your hotel.

Home

Lovely food and wonderful service.

tonyplym
    Free Member

Last time I holidayed in Fethiye there was a fantastic “locals” kebab restaurant in the town’s market (not the weekly stall market but the permanent courtyard one in the town itself) – they set up a fresh skewer of meat every morning which rarely lasted beyond mid-afternoon. Local lads on bicycles did a roaring trade delivering orders around town . . . tasted brilliant and cost peanuts.

sadexpunk

ok, we’re halfway through the hols, and thoughts so far…..

didnt realise how small itd be! which is nice. did the bus into fethiye this morning and its just a massive town, didnt like it at all. found the ‘old town’ which was still as busy, so we just cut our losses and returned to OD. me and missus both trying to pluck up courage for paragliding, the journey up the hill probably scares us more than the flying 😀

buzz bar seems really busy and expensive, may try one of the others to watch the sunset, or go on the sunset boat trip?

cant work out where that levissigarden place is, ill carry on googling it.

thanks a lot 🙂

EDIT: found levissigarden on tripadvisor, ill give em a ring.

Riksbar

Go upstairs at Buzzbar, it doesn’t seem too crowded and I wish I could pay £5 for a cocktail and £10 for a main course in Burnley,

sadexpunk

ok mate, we’ll give that a try. just booked the paragliding for this afternoon! me and missus both scared sh*tless but hopefully we’ll follow it through 😀

if you dont hear from me again………..

sadexpunk

wife dropped out, and to be honest i think she did the right thing, she’d have been sick on the drive up or had a panic attack! ive never been so scared!! paragliding was ace, but the journey up?? i had to close my eyes. found a short youtube vid, this was some of the safer section!!
    [video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Npu5n5xDNc[/video]

proud ive done it tho 🙂

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘holiday time again – tell me about olu deniz please’ is closed to new replies.