Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Holiday Suggestions
  • Blackflag
    Free Member

Me and a few mates fancy a bike holiday this year so i’m looking for a bit of help with ideas.

We want to be spending most of our time going either across or down on lots of nice singletrack so i’m thinking lift assisted alps etc. but we don’t want to go to a downhill gnarrr mecca like morzine / les gets etc. Will be having a few drinks and the odd late start so Ideally want something where we can be self guided.

Any ideas?

ElShalimo

Val Gardena, Dolomites or Lake Garda ?

nickjb
    Free Member

Morzine. Ticks all those boxes. It is a downhill mecca but its so much more than that as well and you can easily get away from the pyjama boys as they stick to the runs under the lifts

P-Jay
    Free Member

nickjb – Member

Morzine. Ticks all those boxes. It is a downhill mecca but its so much more than that as well and you can easily get away from the pyjama boys as they stick to the runs under the lifts

This, whilst YouTube will be full of Gnarcore Lads riding huge jumps and drops in between slashing through miles of off-camber rooty hell to a rapmetal soundtrack, in reality you won’t find another location that has the amount and variety of trails that they have in PDS.

You can look further afield than Morzine though, Les Gets, Avoriaz, Chatel and no doubt other little towns and villages all access the same network of trails and lifts.

You can very easily spend long days riding without ever riding the same thing twice, or letting your tyres leave the ground if you don’t want to.

Stoner
    Free Member

Grab yourself this

http://www.vtopo.fr/vtt-portes-du-soleil-english.html

Loads of lift assisted XC routes around the PDS away from the washboards and berms of the DH trails. Plenty of refreshments stops along the way too.

Throughout France there are some wonderful locations for XC riding, but none have the lift network like PDS for cheating so much. Esp for self guided. You can have great days in the Pyrenees or Alps with van and trailer lifts, but you are paying for guides and the full holiday thing.

mahalo

love it, ‘Holiday suggestions – not Morzine’

3 replies, all ‘Morzine!’ 😆

tbh i do agree with them, but after 3 years on the spin im looking for something different this year too…

Stoner
    Free Member

TBH if the OP had said they could handle some climbing Id recommend going here

https://www.vtt-pyrenees.com/espace-vtt/carte-des-circuits/

But if the specification is “uplift”, then that seriously limits options straight away.

postierich
    Free Member

Lake Garda would get my vote !

P-Jay
    Free Member

@mahalo tried Les Arcs?

Smaller, less waymarked stuff, but good.

slightreturn
    Free Member

Austria. The solden area of the otzal valley. Same area that the bond film spectre was filmed. Some superb trails and not having your pants pulled down for a beer helps, like morzine when I last went

duncancallum

I’m off to Slovenia

ride Slovenia

kayak23

Saalbach Hinterglemm is good.

niall1975
    Free Member

Aosta valley, Italy. Pila (Aosta town), gives you access also to Cervinia and La Thuile within an hour. Someone posted here before about them. Aosta Valley Freeride operate there for guided days. Ill be trying them this year as they get stonking reviews. Cheaper for booze etc than the french side as well !!!!

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Will be having a few drinks and the odd late start so Ideally want something where we can be self guided.

Don’t knock guided for that, speak to a few of the operators and see how it works with your group number, takes a massive load off the “organiser” and (never thought I’d say it) prefer the guided options now. Saves getting lost and gets you to the best trails quicker.

I’d second somewher elike LEs Arcs but out of the man resort where all the other stuff is mostly van/trailer access – some great point to point stuff if you have a driver.

mahalo

slight hijack, but where would the best place to go for a standard family all inclusive beach holiday type job – where i could still sneak off for a couple of hours riding a few times a week?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘Holiday Suggestions’ is closed to new replies.