Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Holiday reading – what you got?
  • stuartie_c
    Free Member

Right, off for a week’s riding in Majorca on Tuesday and I’m looking for some decent new fiction from the Google play store to put on my Hudl. Failing that, some classics that have passed me by.

I’m fairly well read (!) but always open to suggestions.

grahamt1980

The Spellscribed books by Kristopher Cruz are worth a read.
    Finished both of them on holiday last week and they were good. Just waiting for more of the series to come out

northernmatt

Just finished Revelation Space by Alastair Reynolds if you like Iain Banks scifi you’ll like that.

loddrik
    Free Member

Haven’t read a book since the iphone came out!! 😯

Northwind

3 Men In A Boat. Won’t last you long but it is brilliant, and thematically appropriate 😉

dannyh
    Free Member

Again, won’t last you long, but Heart of Darkness is a must read classic.

Tinker, tailor, soldier spy by John Le Carre is great, as are the other two George Smiley novels, the Honourable Schoolboy and Smiley’s People.

dannyh
    Free Member

For non-fiction try Michaela Wrong’s “I didn’t do it for you”.

An absolutely fascinating read about the birth of a nation and a damning indictment of the so-called developed world’s attitude to Africa. Probably the best book I have ever read.

martinhutch

The Shadow of the Wind by Carlos Ruiz Zafon. One of the best novels I’ve read in some time.

barrytheflea
    Free Member

They’re meant to be teenage fiction, but a fantastic read.. The Chaos series by Patrick Ness, starting with the Knife of Never Letting go. I’m on The Ask and the Answer, the second book in the trilogy at the moment and can’t put it down. I heard Simon Mayo on Radio 2 say it was the best book he’d ever read and decided to check it out.

mogrim

Currently enjoying:

* Guns of August about the start of WWI
    * Fear and Loathing in La Liga about the rivalry between the football clubs Real Madrid and Barcelona
    * 1215 – The Year of Magna Carta (self-explanatory!)

jock-muttley

A song of Fire and Ice series by George RR Martin

aka Game of Thrones

rattled through A game of thrones in 36 hrs never seen the Tv shows so I’ll wait until I’ve read the lot then dive in.

If you are into fantasy then I can also reccomend the Belgeriad and the Mallorean by David Eddings or the Pliocene Earth series by Julian May

rureadyboots
    Free Member

Currently enjoying:

* Guns of August about the start of WWI
    * Fear and Loathing in La Liga about the rivalry between the football clubs Real Madrid and Barcelona
    * 1215 – The Year of Magna Carta (self-explanatory!)

You three armed six eyed freak

barrytheflea
    Free Member

They’re meant to be teenage fiction, but a fantastic read.. The Chaos series by Patrick Ness, starting with the Knife of Never Letting go. I’m on The Ask and the Answer, the second book in the trilogy at the moment and can’t put it down. I heard Simon Mayo on Radio 2 say it was the best book he’d ever read and decided to check it out.

takisawa2

Jill Homers book about the Tour Divide is good.

stuartie_c
    Free Member

Thanks guys. Lots of good suggestions there.

grantway
    Free Member

Just finished Apple Tree Yard (bit girly) but it is written with a women’s view
    had to finish as I bought it : (

The Quarry by Iain Banks written much like the above
    and you read to much info IE you know exactly every item that made up the room the character’s where in
    rather than the story.

Undercover by Rob Evans/Paul Lewis was a good read

Hide and Seek by Ian Rankin liked that a lot

Just started Contact_Zero by David Wolstencroft
    But not for holiday reading, but for the commuting blues

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘Holiday reading – what you got?’ is closed to new replies.