Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Holiday question quandary ! Camping/campervan Netherlands itinerary Help !
  • unfitgeezer
    Free Member

Okay its not a 3rd world problem but all the same I need to get booking !

We are off to the Netherlands in the summer camping with the campervan…and the Dutch being very organised and me not being so means I’m gonna have to pull my finger out of the dyke 😯 and get organised…

Here’s the quandary do I book going to Europe’s biggest waterslide park for the first 3 days (arrive at 8am in the morn from the ferry) or do this at the end of the holiday…

Children are 5 and 7

Amsterdam for a day…

http://www.duinrell.com/

Plan is to spend a few days in each place and the last week chillout with the bikes, beach etc…

I say go to waterslides first others are saying go at the end…

I know this really isn’t third world but even so I gotta book !

Any other Dutch holiday advice gladly taken !

Anyone got a rough itinerary they don’t mind sharing…

mick_r

Probably depends on your travel dates and when their school holidays start / end.

I think nearby Denmark and Sweden all go back to school mid-August so that can be a good time to visit (e.g. we got a relatively deserted Legoland late August).

irelanst
    Free Member

Are you saying “Europe’s biggest waterslide park” = Duinrell? If you are then you might be disappointed! It’s OK, we’ve been a few times but there are only 5 or 6 slides and a wave pool. Outside there are some roller coasters and other rides. OK for a day but it won’t blow your socks off.

Places worth visiting;
    Kinderdijke for the windmills (handy if sailing into Rotterdam)
    Nemo science museum in Amsterdam for the kids
    Volendam for Dutch quaintness
    Scheveningen for the beach
    ‘s-Hertogenbosch for the river trip and some shopping
    Baarle-Nassau, to be able to go from Holland to Belgium to Holland to Belgium in a few strides.
    There’s a nice (if small) zoo/safari place at Tilburg
    Every supermarket for cheap beer!

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Here’s the quandary do I book going to Europe’s biggest waterslide park for the first 3 days

Is that the biggest hill there?

jon1973
    Free Member

not in any way related to what you actually asked, but a general tip…..don’t rely too much on your credit card. My parents went last year, and they said that they are not nearly as widely accepted over there.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

ah yeah got caught out on that one

unfitgeezer
    Free Member

some good tips…

irelanst what was your itinerary ?

we are going end of July for 2 weeks.

2 days at Duinrell ? whole of Friday and Sat leave Sunday ?

plan was to be quite chilled and stay in one place and travel out beaches etc, with first week slides Amsterdam etc, not to fussed about going to Amsterdam for longer than a day… tbh cities don’t come high on our agenda.

jota180
    Free Member

I hope you’re going to paint that van before you go?

Frankly, it’s in a shocking condition and not fit for continental touring

unfitgeezer
    Free Member

vans been painted…resprayed actually !

jota180
    Free Member

Thanks goodness for that, I was worried

wors

We went last year, stayed at a place called Akersloot near Almaar.

Close to the beaches, which are spot on. Easy cycling, had a drive into Amsterdam one day. Spent a day in Volendam too which is a really nice fishing village.

In short I loved it, far exceeded my expectations.

unfitgeezer
    Free Member

wors – Member

We went last year, stayed at a place called Akersloot near Almaar.

Close to the beaches, which are spot on. Easy cycling, had a drive into Amsterdam one day. Spent a day in Volendam too which is a really nice fishing village.

In short I loved it, far exceeded my expectations.

How long did you for ? How long did you spend at each place ?

I have no idea where to start other than the water park !

white101

We are getting the ferry to Holland in July and heading straight off to Germany. Place near Koblenz for 3 days. Then down the Rhine valley to a site near Freiburg fr a few days then into Zurich to stay with my brother then into France Belgium for a few days and winging most of our stops using All the Aires guide. Will be making a pass at the Arenberg (sp) and Roubaix before heading back to Holland for the ferry.

If I knew how to work flicr I would show you a pic of Eric my Westy Joker T25. Enjoy it, I personally have only booked the first 3 nights at Koblenz so far and am getting slightly nervyas I think about how busy it will be.

wors

Unfitgeezer

we spent a week at the same place, but it was a good base to travel about for the day.

jota180
    Free Member

Amsterdam City campervan site is supposed to be good

Home

unfitgeezer
    Free Member

we spent a week at the same place, but it was a good base to travel about for the day.

as in Duinrell ?

Texel is looking appealing

irelanst
    Free Member

irelanst what was your itinerary ?

We’ve lived in the Netherlands for nearly 5 years now – so no itinerary, just some of the places we’ve had trips to. In terms of a base, somewhere like Duinrell or anywhere in the Wassenaar area would leave you well placed for day trips to pretty much anywhere except Groningen or Maastricht.

I think if I was planning a trip, I’d head over to the eastern corner first, around Valkenburg so you can take a spin up the Cauberg. Maybe pop over to Aachen or to Liege or some walking in the Eifel parc (there’s some hills honest!). Then head over to the west coast maybe stopping at s-Hertogenbosch on the way. Then just do day trips from the Wassenaar area.

We live just outside Eindhoven, don’t go there, it’s the Dutch version of Milton Keynes.

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘Holiday question quandary ! Camping/campervan Netherlands itinerary Help !’ is closed to new replies.