Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Holiday on the Dalmation coast Croatia
  • WorldClassAccident
    Free Member

Anyone been there recently. What is it like. Sun and relax holiday desperately required but want a few interesting places to see as well.

Doesn’t need to be Croatia if you have a better idea. Prefer Europe for short flights and time zones

Recommendations?

wrecker
    Free Member

I’ve been quite a lot of times. Not been to Dubrovnik although it’s meant to be very nice.
    FAQ’s;
    It’s not in the euro, all the beaches are pebble/rock, the food and drink is great.

I’d recommend the islands. We love Brac (Bol), although Hvar is nice and livelier.

iolo
    Free Member

Just go to Split, have a day there then just hop on a ferry to any of the islands. They’re all nice.
    It will be hot.I was in Zagreb yesterday and it was 36 degrees.

Stoner
    Free Member

spent honeymoon on a boat between split & dubrovnik via Brac, Hvar, Mijet etc.

Mijet is v nice.

Korcula is gorgeous.

Take boat trips.

Snorkling is clear, but v salty and not a lot of wildlife.

Dubrovnik well worth a visit.

Im annoyed I never took a trip to Mostar to see the bridge.

[img]https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-aXxHGmIiwfw/TgjnxlUGtEI/AAAAAAAAABg/5egk_Gn6ms0/s640/Honeymoon2%2520088.jpg[/img]

BristolPablo
    Free Member

I’ve only been to Dubrovnik but its very nice and well worth a visit, we stayed there for a few days and there was enough to do although we had a few day trips away too. Dubrovnik gets really busy between 1100 and 1600 when the cuise liners dump passengers off and they wander through the town in groups of 100+, the town depends on the tourist market so they are treated with many false smiles. the place is transformed in the later afternoon/evening though when the locals come out and if you are still there in the evening, you get much better service as they work out that you are staying local and not on a cruise!

The walk from Dubrovnik, through Lapad and then round the headland and back to the main port is nice, this is where some of the liners dock, others just yuse tenders and park outside Dubrovnik harbour. Take a boat out to Lokrum too and have a wander round the island. The beaches are rocky but there are enough flat bits for it not to be an issue.

we got the scheduled jadralina passenger ferry to the islands of Mljet and Lopud. Lopud has an amazing beach and is wel lworth a trip, Mljet is a nature reserve and has some nice walks through forests. You can probably hire bikes on Mljet, swimming in the sea is easily possible upto late September, there are lots of little fish who will try to eat the hairs on your legs though which can be fun/terryifying. they are big on sea kayaking and that sort of thing too. we went with hidden croatia who were fantastic and stayed in the hotel komodor.

Croats are a friendly bunch. we had a great guide book written by a local, i’ll find it tonight and update the thread, it had some good recommendations to keep you off the tourist trail.

willard

Dubrovnik is a lovely place (well, the walled part) and well worth a visit. We stayed at a place just down the coast called Cavtat that was quieter but still beautiful. Nice bay, good swimming, nice food.

Pretty cheap if memory serves too.

***Edit – Just checked. We went there in 2008, so it could have changed. Below is a picture.

wrecker
    Free Member

Oh, and I think there’s some riding on Brac somewhere.
    The local bike hire place hires out Spesh pitches (!) and the blokes working there reckoned the riding was pretty good.
    I couldn’t go unfortunately, mrsW had already allowed me to go diving pretty much every day…

ojom
    Free Member

Me n lass are set to go on the 27th. Booking tonight after looking for accomodation.

MMMM warm sea!

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘Holiday on the Dalmation coast Croatia’ is closed to new replies.