Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Holiday insurance for family – including adventure sports
  • matt_outandabout

A massive variation in quotes. Looking to cover general ‘oh crap, he fell off his bike and bust himself up big style’ or similar while on a family trip to France this summer. Not bothered about delayed ferry compensation or similar – just ‘catastrophe’ cover. Being France, I am likely most concerned with any search and rescue costs to fish us off the river or mountain…in a ‘catastrophe’ situation.

All the below cover me for (or better than) canoeing & kayaking upto grade 2, hillwalking upto 2500m and trail mountainbiking upto 2500m, for family of 5 for 14 days.

Snowcard: £321.16
    Looks like £160.58 for trail biking and a further £160.58 for canoeing & kayaking upto grade 2. It does cover well, including upto £100k search and rescue.

Sports Cover Direct:£102
    Good cover generally, only £25k search and rescue.

Flexicover:£51.42
    Platimun option, good cover for all things including unlimited search and rescue.

Any reason for such a variation – other than profit?
    Any recommendations for good companies?

thegeneralist
    Free Member

Eh, I’m confused. Is mountain biking that high risk. I pay around £200-250 with Snowcard for annual insurance for the family of 4. That includes off piste skiing, park riding, climbing, bouldering, kayaking etc.

one of us is wrong

timwillows
    Free Member

Having seen Snowcard in action, the cover is excellent.
    Your quote looks way too high though, suggest you check again

wanmankylung
    Free Member

What’s the BMC policy like nowadays?

matt_outandabout

Snowcard – Delving into their site more a ‘multi sports’ policy is a ‘call us for more and a quote’. I will in the morning. Even if the cover is the cost of ONE of those quotes, £160 is high compared to flexicover.

Eh, I’m confused. Is mountain biking that high risk.

Try putting in competitive cycling or DH riding or ‘jumps and stunt riding’ rather than trail riding into Sports Cover Direct. 😯

@wanmankylung – BMC wont cover canoeing, kayaking or mtb’ing.

wanmankylung
    Free Member

Their Alpine and Ski policy does.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

I use Insure and Go, mainly because they cover EVERYTHING in detail. There’s far less chance of wriggle room on a claim. By way of example, I remember one supplier who said I’d be covered for wakeboarding. As long as I didn’t get my head wet….!

matt_outandabout

@wanmankylung – So it does – for £172! (£104 of which is family loading) 😯

wwpaddler
    Free Member

Give JSInsurance a try. They’ve been cheap for me in the past but I’ve never claimed

matt_outandabout

Insure and Go –

Mountain biking (not including downhill racing and extreme ground conditions

They do not define ‘extreme ground conditions’ 😕

Adding the cover for Kayaking (the cover canoes, mtb and hillwalking as standard) adds £100. 🙁

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Odd. Was pretty clear when I bought my coverage! Basically, anything but racing and Rampage style lunacy! Trail centres/lift accessed Alpine etc was all OK. Just not racing.

geoffj

Having seen Snowcard in action, the cover is excellent.

+1 FIL died on a Spanish mountain and they dealt with it all superbly.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Holiday insurance for family – including adventure sports’ is closed to new replies.