Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Holiday in Turkey at the moment?
  • dknwhy

Looking for a honeymoon/trip in the Easter hols and Turkey (Antalya region) looks really reasonably priced.
    I’m all for it but the other half thinks it could be unsafe despite the border with Syria being miles away.

I’m keen as the surrounding area looks pretty hilly and good for walking/cycling. Anyone been? Nice area?

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

Great place and lira falling out of bed at the moment, so value increasing. Capadoccia is awesome for exploring on foot and bike (apparently)

jota180
    Free Member

Don’t expect that area to be very warm at the beginning of April, it can be quite pleasant then but also quite cold.

zinaru
    Free Member

dknwhy

i was all over turkey last September and mindful of what was happening only hundreds of miles away but no problems as long as you keep away from the obviously dangerous front line stuff in the south east / far east parts.

Totally recommend you look at Kas further west along the coast, we got a taxi from Kas to Antalya (around £40!) for 200 miles. And then the bus to Goreme in Capadoccia but you can get internal flights as well but i absolutely hate flying and it was an opportunity to see some stunning and varied landscapes. soaring craggy peaks and a road through the high plains that has one bend in over 100km.

Hired a bike in Goreme from ‘Middlearth’, they wanted to take me on a tour (130eur) so i did my usual of just hiring a bike (30 eur), buying a map and headed out on my own. Six hours later i returned after having an amazing solo tour of all the main valleys. Body and mind totally blown (the call to prayer from the next village a few miles away getting carried up the valley as i reached the top of a big climb was unforgettable – as was the emergency stop down a sandy section of single track due to a resting tortoise!)… its one of the most incredible places I’ve ever been, never mind biking. Even Goreme is totally amazing.

just remember to drink shed loads of water…

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/Bwm_IchIEAAvThp.jpg:large

jambalaya
    Free Member

OP There are a couple of Club Med’s on that coast but Easter is too early really for much of the tourist infrastructure to be open. Turkey will be safe enough.

You might consider Majorca, have some friends there now who say it been very nice and 20 degrees this week.

Congratulations by the way

crashtestmonkey
    Free Member

unless youre taking a trip to the border (and read too much into the foreign office website paranoia), why not?

http://singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/terrific-week-in-cappadocia-turkey-with-cycleactive

matty-B
    Free Member

The area will be fine security wise. My In Laws live in Kalkan, close to Kas and the weather has been variable at Easter when we have been out to see them, same sort of temperature as at home, sometimes wet and windy. Big downsides are the sea and outside pools are still cold and the tourist infrastructure is only just starting up so very few places open. In summer and autumn it is a beautiful area but I’d look elsewhere for a honeymoon / relaxing holiday in early spring.

dknwhy

Thanks for the replies. I’m surprised that the weather is a bit iffy at that time of year. Looks quite nice out there at the moment!

We’re not really set on a location but are keen to keep the price down and most of the cheaper end stuff has come up in Turkey.

BillMC

Bear in mind the Euro exchange rate. I was in the Canaries last week and I found it very cheap and good value. You looked at AirBnB?

jambalaya
    Free Member

@dknwhy – there is snow on the ground in Syria (see video of the three girls who went to join ISIS).

jaffejoffer
    Free Member

ive been a few times and like it very much but i wouldnt be heading back there any time soon. its a bit too close for comfort for me and i expect its only a matter of time before them IS motherducks to start slaying western holiday makers in the region…

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Holiday in Turkey at the moment?’ is closed to new replies.