Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)
  • Holiday in Rome with Wife – Recommend the 'Must See' bits
  • WorldClassAccident
    Free Member

Taking the wife to Rome for a romantic 7 – 10 day break. What are the must sees? what are the great little places you found that aren’t headline tourist spots.

Any recommendations/advice?

Going there in spring.

cxi
    Free Member

Hire one of the bikes in Villa Borghese (one of the parks). Get a two seater with the steering wheel – was a great laugh.

drslow
    Free Member

Was there 2 years ago for a long weekend and we did all the big touristy things. Remember to pack your trainers, we just walked the whole time and there is so much to see. Around every corner there is some reminder of the past.

Colosseum
    Spanish Steps (not that impressed, they’re stairs)
    Trevi fountain (surprisingly well hidden)
    St Peters
    Bocca della Verita (There were also some lovely gardens from the train station to here but i cent remember the name)

mogrim

Colosseum/Forum and Vatican are probably the two main sights you have to see, just wandering around and enjoying yourself would be my other Rome recommendation. The Trevi fountain is pretty but not that amazing, the Pantheon is pretty cool when you realise what Roman architecture was capable of… Loads of stuff, really, and most of it within easy walking distance. The Villa Borghese park is nice, too.

I’d also hire a car and get up to Tuscany/Umbria for a few days: Orvieto, Sienna, I personally hated Florence but lots of people seem to love it.

Edit: if you’ve got a car Tivoli and the Villa Adriana is excellent, too. Fairly close to Rome as well, easily day trip distance.

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

What they said!

Also, for eating, get off the main streets and tourist areas and follow the locals. Rome has some simply stunning food if you look for it!

iain1775
    Free Member

there is a door to an old monastry somewhere on a side street above the Forum
    I will try and find exact details
    Look through the keyhole and there is a fantastic view of the Vatican framed by the monestries gardens
    Worth the short walk to see it, is something not many peole know about
    Other than that what others have said, and enjoy the food and wine
    Castell St Angelo is worth a couple of hours, Cistene Chapel, The Forum etc
    We also went round all the churches in Dan Browns Angels and Demons book, it then also gives you a good idea of the place and an alternative way around rather than following a guide book
    Not sure you can fill 7-10 days sightseeing just in Rome though

samuri
    Free Member

Colosseum/Forum and Vatican are probably the two main sights you have to see

Agreed. The Vatican is particularly impressive.

Florence but lots of people seem to love it.

I know I did. It’s probably the most beautiful city I’ve ever been too. I just wish I could have spent more time there.

teef
    Free Member

Tour of the Catacombs – early christian burial sites

Harry_the_Spider

We did 4 days a few years back. We got the Lonely Planet Guide, put on our trainers and walked.

A cold beer in the square outside The Pantheon and Trevi at night should be on your list.

organic355
    Free Member

Recommend the ‘Must See’ bits

Rome or the wife?

ChristoGinger
    Free Member

what they all said, its an amazing place, however watch out for pickpockets!!! keep all your bags shut/where you can see em and same for your wallet. other than that it really is awesome.

mogrim

And definitely +1 on the “get off the main streets and follow the locals” for the food bit, the main tourist areas are a massively overpriced tourist trap. A cold beer in a bar is a different matter, of course!

CaptainMainwaring
    Free Member

If you are doing 10 days, absolutely definitely get a car and get up to Umbria and Tuscany for at least half the time. San Giminano, Sienna, Florence and the smaller places like Radda.

BigJohn

The Perineum?

Coyote
    Free Member

Rome is a beautiful city, just walking aimlessy round is a treat. nother vote for the Pantheon, something very special about it. Vatican is OK but I was massively underwhelmed by the Cistine chapel. Food-wise, again there is sterling advice above.

It’s probably the most beautiful city I’ve ever been too.

I’d agree with this too! Make the time to go up the Duomo(sp) and take in the stunning views.

DrJ

Shopping streets near Spanish Steps – either go there, or avoid like plague, depending on finances, wife’s buying habits, etc.

STW massive, earlier …

http://www.autresdirections.co.uk/PHOTOS/Italy/large-11.html

jimmy

the under-boob often gets overlooked.

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

Can you get us a tourist tat little leaning tower of Pisa, or a tiny Colosseum or something please WCA? Ta.

hels
    Free Member

And if you get bored there are loads of places easy to reach on the trains. I would take a day trip to Napoli and out to Pompeii and Herculaneum. If you like old ruins etc. I loved it but my mum and dad spent all day wilting in the cafe mind you it was 42 in the shade.

Elfin – I have a table cigarette lighter shaped like the leaning tower of Pisa best souvenir ever !

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

Ooh! Can I have it please???

Love tourist tat. Only nicely-made stuff though. WCA very kindly brought me back a Big Apple snow globe from NY recently, and PeterPoddy brought me a lovely hand-carved elephant from India. My neighbours brought me back a beautiful manatee souvenir from Florida just the other day; it’s very unusual.

WorldClassAccident
    Free Member

Are you forgetting the letter and Descriptive passage about the Northumbrian Castle Elfin?

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

No, but then that wasn’t from you.

Neither were the letters from places like Geneva and Stuttgart, from women claiming to have had my children. 😯

You going anywhere interesting soon?

TooTall
    Free Member

There was a thread on this a few weeks ago.

Get the train out to Frascati (40 min or so) and spend the day wandering the town and gardens and eat a pork sandwich – known for miles for them. Drinking frascati in Frascati just makes sense!

glenncampbell

Rome is just beautiful – you’ll love it. The Villa Borghese itself has a superb gallery with some amazing art on display including an incredible statue of Apollo and Daphne, if that’s your bag. I loved the history of the vatican too, same with the colosseum. La Pergola is a superb restaurant (3 michelin stars) but you seriously pay for that, alternately try Il Bacaro which is a nice little romantic spot. Enjoy!!

Barney_McGrew
    Free Member

We had a couple of days there following a recent cruise.
    A great city.
    If you intend on going to the Vatican then whatever you do pre book your tickets online! We walked past a 3hr queue and went straight in.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Capuchin_Crypt is well worth a visit.

KT1973
    Free Member

Nice bit of Paparazzi work there Dr J- I can’t believe you managed to snap Roger Cook and Ronnie Wood on holiday together scoffing cornettos. I reckon Ronnie better hurry up or it looks like Roge will be going for his next – nom nom.
    You could have sold that to the News of the World for a few bob.

Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)

The topic ‘Holiday in Rome with Wife – Recommend the 'Must See' bits’ is closed to new replies.