Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • Holiday in Devon or Cornwall
  • wheelz
    Free Member

For the past two years our summer holidays have been spent camping in Mid Wales, around Barmouth/Dolgellau. This was ideal, as the other half and the kids had the beach, and I could disappear up Pont Scethin or Coed-y-Brenin. Luckily, the weather played ball both years, which meant the holidays were enjoyable for everyone.

But now the other half wants to go further South, preferably to Devon or Cornwall, but I don't really know either area.

Does anyone know of anywhere that caters for the rest of the family by having a beach close by, as well as having riding pretty much on the doorstep, or a short distance away?

Any suggestions would be very welcome, as my proposal to go camping in the Peak District or Peebles next year wasn't particularly well received!

ton
    gusamc
    Free Member

You could try North Devon, Croyde, Woolacombe, etc for camping, beach, surfing etc, you'd have to travel a bit for riding – Exmoor, Dartmoor etc

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

Why not dump the cycling for a bit and try something different with your 'me' time. I was recently in Newquay and finally learnt to surf. I had a fantastic time and it was pretty cheap too – only about £30 for a morning including the board/wetsuit hire and tuition.

Great fun.

Swiftacular
    Free Member

Woolacombe/Ilfracombe seconded. Great area of the country, and great riding isnt far away, further up the coast at Porlock, some real b@stard climbs though.

Candodavid
    Free Member

Always rains on us in Cornwall, going to Barmouth/Dolgellau this year

Sponging-Machine
    Free Member

Riding isn't the best in Cornwall. Devon has some amazing riding. Your best bet is to look around South Devon. Gives you good access to cracking beaches in the South Hams (near Plymouth) and close to great riding – Dartmoor, Haldon, Tavi woods, Woodbury Common, Cann Woods/Newnham. Quantocks isn't too tricky from here either.

Holidaying in North Devon can be ace but you do need to drive for the best riding. I live in Barnstaple and normally travel out to Exmoor & Quantocks (normally about an hour in the motor). There is some okay local riding. The lads at Southfork in Braunton are normally happy to show people about over that side. Snaps and Azarat are local lads from the forum who really know local trails.

Above all, enjoy your holiday. Weather here was cracking today! 😀

Swiftacular
    Free Member

Is it Southfork that has a cracked Pace RC200 up on the wall?

Si
    Free Member

Cornwall is best described as a shite picture in a nice frame.

South Devon is great, but you will have to put up with every other fecker down here at the moment.

Great beaches – Bantham, South Milton, fantastic coast path sections, quiet unspoilt estuaries and plenty of technical riding is 45mins away on Eastern Dartmoor. Cant beat a swim in the sea after an all day ride.

There's even a few of us locals who just might show you around.

timber

think only Wales offers the convenience of beach and trail centres for easy no planning riding – it's there in Devon and Cornwall, but you need to know the areas to get the best out of them

Considered South Wales as a compromise? Stay on Gower (not too far on if you want to get off in less than an hour) and head to Afan/Cwm Carn/Brechfa?

Keep Cornwall tidy, dump your rubbish in Devon

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Bloody grockles….

Partially grew up in S Devon, and love it dearly. Now sail in S Cornwall and love it dearly.

Leave the bikes, get on the water!

TenMen
    Free Member

South Devon is fantastic, especially if you have kids. Salcombe is a great base – I can recommend http://www.coastandcountry.co.uk/ if you're looking for a house/bungalow to rent

wheelz
    Free Member

Thanks for all the advice, all of which will be considered.

I have thought about not riding, and maybe concentrating on windsurfing and sailing. Actually, it might be a good chance to teach the kids how to sail now they're a bit older, and there's plenty of time between now and then to knock up a mirror dinghy in the garage!

azarat
    Free Member

Swiftacular – Southfork do have a Pace frame hanging on the wall which just happens to be my old frame which has fractured around the bottom bracket.

Swiftacular
    Free Member

I remember trying to buy it to hang on my own wall, about 2 years ago maybe, but to no avail.

Skankin_giant
    Free Member

Cornwall all they way, the Lizard peninsula has some of the nicest bits,
    the best thing about Devon is the road through it 😀 not that im bias or nothing,

Kernow Bys Vyken!

delusional
    Free Member

My uncle runs a site in Cornwall that might be worth looking at: http://www.bluehillscamping.co.uk/

Very short walk to a beach, great views and situated directly on one of my favourite trails. My uncle does a bit of riding as well, and knows the area very well, so would be more than happy to point out some of the good riding locally (especially useful as most of it is a little cheeky).

It's a bit tricky to piece together long rides around there without good knowledge, but for quick hour or so blasts there's some fantastic stuff.

Sponging-Machine
    Free Member

How about going in a different direction up to Yorkshire? The coast around Scarborough is cracking and Dalby is just down the road.

DaRC_L

Ahh glad to see one of them Kernow-wackies encouraging the emmets 😉
    I thought there is only cheeky MTBing in Cornwall? Apart from the Camel trail.

For biking and beach what about Somerset – near Minehead you can have visit the Quantocks or have a day on the Mendips whilst the kids visit Cheddar / Wookie hole.

el_creedo
    Free Member

South Devon all the way – have a look in/around/near Ugborough, nice village, nice pub, 3miles nice lanes north to the amazing south dartmoor (my biking homeland) and 3-5 the other way to various inspiring bits of coast. Plus, endless sparsely used bridleways through the rolling hills to get lost in on your doorstep.
    Believe it or not – even at this time of year, I could find you any one of 5-6 spots coast or moor bound where you will have a beautiful spot more or less to yourself.
    Better still – stay on a working farm on the moors, at the lovely Hall Farm – Shepherds Cottage, Harford
    (if you go for this tell Clive and Gilly that Sam Creed told you about them – I owe them a favour or two!).

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

The topic ‘Holiday in Devon or Cornwall’ is closed to new replies.