Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Holiday in Cornwall – what bike to take
  • steve_b77
    Free Member

I’m off to Cornwall for a couple of weeks, last year I took the road bike and got quite a lot of riding in, but this time I can’t really be doing the longer rides as the wife is 8 months pregnant.

I’ll be trying to get in a couple of evening rides once they’ve crashed for the day, I know it’s a bit cheeky but the coastal path is tempting.

Also mini-me No.1 is taking his bike and No.2 has a kiddie seat to go on the back.

We’ll be doing the camel trail at least once and with No.1 riding along (he’s 4) the pace will be most sedate. I know the trails at Cardinham Woods, what is Lanhydrock like?

So the choice is between my CX bike and a fat bike, WWSTWD?

rossburton
    Free Member

Lanhydrock is more family focused than Cardy, green and lots of blue with more techy bits.

The coastal paths might be a bit busy this time of year though, depending on where you’re staying.

Fat bikes are obviously more fun so take that one. 🙂

rocketman
    Free Member

Fat bike obvz

Have you ridden one on sand? Holy crap! 😀 😀 😀

rossburton
    Free Member

Forgot to expand Lanhydrock. The green was fine for our kids – 5 and 7 – though the 5yo needed the odd push up the steeper sections although that was in the autumn now and she’s figured out pedalling out of the saddle now so I think she’ll be able to power up them now. It’s a good ride though and the cafe is great, but definitely an off-road ride as the surface is either hardpack mud or loose stones. Unlike some forest green trails I wouldn’t want to ride it on a city bike.

steve_b77
    Free Member

Cheers, I reckon a trip to Lanhydrock is in order

rossburton
    Free Member

Where are you staying? No doubt there’s some great riding nearby.

prawny

Lanhydrock is a laugh, but there’s not a huge amount of riding there. Last time I took my bike I did Cardinham, then popped the bike on the car and went to Lanhydrock straight after. It was still a fairly short ride and I did 6+ runs down the little dual track there. That was a lot of fun.

It’d be fairly good with the kids though it’s pretty flat in the main.

steve_b77
    Free Member

rossburton – Member
    Where are you staying? No doubt there’s some great riding nearby.

We’re staying in St Merryn, so not far from the coast

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘Holiday in Cornwall – what bike to take’ is closed to new replies.